Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

What version of Mint do you use

Linux Mint 12 - Gnome 3
15%
Linux Mint 12 - Gnome 3 MGSE
9%
Linux Mint 12 - MATE
4%
Linux Mint 11 or earlier
29%
Mint Debian - Gnome
11%
Mint Debian - Xfce
11%
Mint 11 LXDE or earlier
4%
Other...
17%

Total votes: 159

jackmetal
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?

Post by jackmetal »

LMDE since it first came out. Now it's Gnome 3, which freaked me out when it first happend but has grown on me.

Been on many distros over the years, then moved to Ubuntu sometime around 7.04 or 7.10, left ubuntu not long after 10.10 and moved completely to LMDE. Been on it ever since and have had no problems. I have my main system running LMDE with the debian testing repos, the wife is on LMDE with the mint depos, my media center is on LMDE with the mint depos but I'm seriously thinking about moving it to testing since I've had no problems at all on my main laptop running it for a year now and I don't care to have to wait for updates and then get a HUGE update pack.

Been thinking seriously about just moving to plain debian, so I might test it out since LMDE isn't really getting the love and the 'buntu version is definitely NOT something I'll ever use; I left ubuntu for a number of reasons and definitely won't use a derivitive but I really do like LMDE. ;-)
-----
LMDE - The ONLY way to go
w/Debian Testing & Debian SID Repo's

ilovelinux

Post by ilovelinux »

I've upgraded all my Mint systems to Mint 11. Mint 11 works better after a full round of updates than the last time I tried it. Boot/shutdown is still a little slower, but active desktop works much better since last time.

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fraxinus_63 »

I am in no hurry at all to leave Mint 10 (Gnome). The best Linux desktop I have come across to date. My computer works hard doing editing and graphics work, hosting VMs, etc. and this release combines good looks with absolutely flawless performance.

I think the concept behind Mint 12 is fantastic - giving users what they say they want; giving us Gnome 3 without the Gnome Shell. However, the complexity of this task means that it is bound to be a slightly experimental release. Not so good for a workstation, where I want zero failures/zero 'adjustment time' once it has been set up as I want it. Mint 10 delivers this level of satisfaction.

I shall hang on where I am for the time being. If LM13 is a LTS release, I'd be tempted by it. By then, there may be many more extensions around to make Gnome 3 more useable.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I agree that Mint 10 was one of the best releases ever. I haven't found much bugs in that release.
Last edited by AlbertP on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

ilovelinux

Post by ilovelinux »

fraxinus_63 wrote:If LM13 is a LTS release
LM13 will be based on Ubuntu 12.04, which will be LTS version so I expect LM13 will be following suit. Every fourth release is an LTS.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

As a forum moderator, I like to have most of the recent versions of Mint available to research answers to members' questions. Distributed over three computers I have installed Mint 9 Main Edition 32 bit, Mint 9 LXDE, Mint 10 KDE, Mint 11 Main Edition 32 and 64 bit, Mint 11 LXDE, LMDE, LMDE Xfce, and Mint 12 32 and 64 bit.

My current default Os is Mint 12 32 bit using Gnome 3.2 with MGSE and other extensions but not Gnome Shell.
Registered Linux User 483387

w2ibc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by w2ibc »

41% using Mint 11 of earlier.

myself LM11 its been really rock solid.
LMDE XFCE pae-kernel since 8/12/12

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

I tested LM12, and disabled all the MGSE's for a stock GNOME3 desktop.

I've been using GNOME3 since it's release earlier in the year; and have no desire to return to antiquated desktop habits. After the initial switch and accustomization period, I now prefer GNOME3 to Unity and the old GNOME2 interface.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

Have been using LinuxMint, almost since my first days with Linux (a few years now)

I have and use - Mint-9 LTS and LMDE-Xfce - both with the Fluxbox WM.

I am a 'new' Debian-Maintainer with the Fluxbox Team . . . 'nuff said :P
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Gerd50
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Gerd50 »

LM9 is installed as a rock solid fallback if my favorites LMDE Xfce sid/testing should be unusable (what never happened till now)
I switched to Xfce after the gnome shell which i found to aufgemotzt (opulent?) :mrgreen: I discovered Linux about 3 years
ago and it was unthinkable i could like breakages :lol: But i like them now, try to fix them. LMDE with sid repos is a ideal
platform for it. Testing is somehow boring if i compare it.
I believe in everything, except humans.

LM9, Debian Testing Xfce, Debian Sid Xfce - CPU/Amd64 2,6Ghz, Graphics/Nvidia 9600 GT, Sound/SB Audigy4 emu10K1

blue_bullet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blue_bullet »

I am using LM11 Gnome but have LM12 installed along with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10 (quad boot). I have not figured out how to get my /home directory copied over from LM11 and my extra software installed. It did it moving from 10.10 to LM11 but have slept since then. The 6 month cycle is perfect for me. I completely forget what I did to move to the new release, and of course do not take any notes. At least I have learnt to put /home in a separate partition. I am really having a difficult time deciding why to move to LM12 other than to keep abreast of changes. I may just dabble with it and wait for LM13 like others here are planning to do. I do not see any new methodology superior to getting work done. Blissfully stuck.

Aethyr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Aethyr »

LMDX mainly (on 3 machines) but I also have a Mint 12 laptop, sadly LMDX has bad hardware support for my laptop and there were issues I could not resolve both with audio and video.

Also have Mint 9 flux on a very old machine, but I'll be replacing that with LMDX shortly as well.
Arch user now. Inactive for indefinite amount of time.

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

Aging Technogeek wrote:My current default Os is Mint 12 32 bit using Gnome 3.2 with MGSE and other extensions but not Gnome Shell.
MGSE but not Gnome Shell? That's confusing the hell out of me :D
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

Garvan wrote:I am also surprised [ ...] in the high number of users who picked "other" when I thought I had covered all the options.
Perhaps, it's not covered by your votes idea: there are a number of people like me, who don't use any Mint version at the time but did that before or are associated in any other way ...

I use Crunchbang Statler, Debian based, testing repos, XFCE. It's elegant, fast and lightweight and just works for me (though I won't recommend it to everybody). I'm sympathizing with LMDE and use it occasionally. I've been using Mint 8 and 9 (XFCE), our desktop runs Mint 10, but I seldomly use it apart from maintaining it for my wife and son.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

Aethyr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Aethyr »

What did you really expect, that most users would use GNOME Shell? Just because Mint released a new version doesn't mean we lose all common sense. That's Ubuntu's area of expertise :lol:
Arch user now. Inactive for indefinite amount of time.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker »

I made the conversion to Linux with Mint 11 gnome on the suggestion of a friend. Since then I haven't had all that much time to fool with other things but I do think when I put my new HDD in I may not put gnome back on.... I may stay with Katya, but I'm considering xfce debian mint. But also considering other distros as well. I'm really leaning toward Archbang. And I've heard a lot of good things about openSUSE
I like everything custom. My vehicles, my Operating Systems, my bank accounts....... I guess I'm just spoiled........maybe

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
I Forget What Happened 15min ago......
Should I expect myself?

darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

Since the release of the rc mint12 i am using it. No problem so far with the use of gnome3, it's feeling allready kind of normal to use it :D
HP Z400 Workstation
LinuxMint 19.3 Tricia

rjs
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rjs »

"Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?"

LMDE XFCE or Debian Stable XFCE with minimal Linuxmint.com's packages installed.

Why? - Because gnome3, and unity suxors and latter buntu's are buggy and not welcome on my boxes.
LMDE works super, Debian stable w/LinuxMint's packages works super. Of course.
---
"LMDE - Linux Mint Debian Edition - Debian, with a touch of elegance." -rjs

ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

I was using LMDE XFCE on both my netbook and laptop until the other day, when I switched the netbook to Crunchbang. After the Mint dev's recent actions and reactions involving Banshee affiliate codes, I think my laptop will follow suit. I'm also doubtful of staying as a member of the Mint community.
Crivens!

rjs
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rjs »

ThistleWeb wrote:I was using LMDE XFCE on both my netbook and laptop until the other day, when I switched the netbook to Crunchbang. After the Mint dev's recent actions and reactions involving Banshee affiliate codes, I think my laptop will follow suit. I'm also doubtful of staying as a member of the Mint community.
Changing an URL is hardly an issue. This isn't Ubuntu. This is Linux Mint. And in my opinion, I think it would be better to remove Banshee as the default player altogether. I'm not a Banshee fan. But before moving on to what you might consider greener pastures, you might actually get the real run down on the Banshee URL change (what you call affliiate codes). Nothing wrong happened here and I would have done the same with the URL alteration. A bunch of FUD is what I call all the rambling going on about it.

sudo apt-get remove banshee
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package banshee is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

Super... No problem.
---
"LMDE - Linux Mint Debian Edition - Debian, with a touch of elegance." -rjs

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”