Sadly, I've moved away from Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Forkjulle

Sadly, I've moved away from Mint

Post by Forkjulle »

Mint 11 was the reason why I moved away from Ubuntu 11.04, but Mint 12 is the reason why I've now moved to Ubuntu 11.10. Mint is great and I preach the word, but the single panel and slick design of Mint 11 has been lost in Mint 12 for me. I have no hard feelings, but Mint 12 - to me - feels like it is trying to keep too many happy, especially those who resist change and yearn for them good 'ol Gnome 2 days. That is, Mint 12 feels a bit "all over the place" without a single focused direction, and has disappointed me a bit.

As a creative, I enjoy aesthetics, and Ubuntu 11.10 is heaps better than 11.04, and far quicker and more functional. And it feels like it is very focused and headed into its own Unity direction, despite a lot of angry and vocal users.

As a Mint fan, I'm going to hang around and see where Mint 13 goes, but for now, I'm sticking with Ubuntu again. (Thanks to choice.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kilz

Re: Sadly, I've moved away from Mint

Post by Kilz »

So instead of choosing to change what shell extensions are loaded to eliminate whatever you didnt like, you are going to run Unity, the worst desktop since Windows Bob?
Forkjulle

Post by Forkjulle »

I tried that. I couldn't tweak it enough for my liking (and I'm not technical enough to go deeper). I actually find Unity better than Gnome Shell, but that's not a Mint problem and it's certainly a subjective thing.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I have to agree with Forkjulie, i have had the exact same experience...i started with ubuntu when i first got involved with linux a few years ago (first one i tried was 8.04) and later switched to Linux Mint when i discovered that it was a more "polished' version of ubuntu with all codecs pre-installed and the neat "one panel on bottom with fabulous slab style Mint Menu which i liked much better then the 2 panel arrangement on Ubuntu...

But as of Mint 12, after trying it as well as Ubuntu 11.10 with unity, i discovered that i enjoy using Ubuntu with Unity much more for the same reasons Forkjulie mentioned, so also sadly, i have moved away from mint and am back on Ubuntu again....Unity is very smooth, and is actually easier to work with then Mint 12, once you get accustomed to it...of course, the problem is, some people just don't like change...i approached both with an open mind...and came to the conclusion that i did..

And i also found, that even in Ubuntu, i prefer unity over using the straight gnome 3 shell (even with extensions)...

I still love the mint forums though and many of the people here (except for the "whiners" of course) :roll: :lol:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Wasn't the first topic enough? http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 35#p495135 :D

I think maybe there's room for one more final topic in a few weeks time: "Going with Unity for now (waving goodbye, no tears)"
Forkjulle

Post by Forkjulle »

bimsebasse wrote:Wasn't the first topic enough? http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 35#p495135 :D

I think maybe there's room for one more final topic in a few weeks time: "Going with Unity for now (waving goodbye, no tears)"
That was posted after I installed Mint 12 RC, which seems to be much the same as Mint 12 official. I gave it a shot and I'm sorry. I had to file for a divorce and return to my former lover.
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

More like you returned to the old hag.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Forkjulle wrote:Mint 11 was the reason why I moved away from Ubuntu 11.04, but Mint 12 is the reason why I've now moved to Ubuntu 11.10. Mint is great and I preach the word, but the single panel and slick design of Mint 11 has been lost in Mint 12 for me. I have no hard feelings, but Mint 12 - to me - feels like it is trying to keep too many happy, especially those who resist change and yearn for them good 'ol Gnome 2 days. That is, Mint 12 feels a bit "all over the place" without a single focused direction, and has disappointed me a bit.

As a creative, I enjoy aesthetics, and Ubuntu 11.10 is heaps better than 11.04, and far quicker and more functional. And it feels like it is very focused and headed into its own Unity direction, despite a lot of angry and vocal users.

As a Mint fan, I'm going to hang around and see where Mint 13 goes, but for now, I'm sticking with Ubuntu again. (Thanks to choice.)
As Kantner, Slick and Covington wrote: "You need to be out before you come in.
After you come you go."
Enjoy Ubuntu
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I don't understand threads like this. If Mint 11 is why you left ubuntu, why not continue to run Mint 11? There is no rule, as far as I know, that you have to run the latest distro. If Mint 11 worked for you, then stick with it.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

I luv threads like this ... It's like a soap opera, only with geeky people in it. :D

Fare thee well, *sniffle, *sniffle, fare thee well. We shall always have Paris ... mwah*.

Though thought choice was a big part of opensource. People are free to use what works for them. One of the awesome things about having so much to choose from. Mint HQ doesn't seem to mind overmuch allowing people to discuss whatever gnu/linux related thoughts they have.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Forkjulle wrote:Mint 11 was the reason why I moved away from Ubuntu 11.04, but Mint 12 is the reason why I've now moved to Ubuntu 11.10. Mint is great and I preach the word, but the single panel and slick design of Mint 11 has been lost in Mint 12 for me.
..but the single panel and slick design of Mint 11 has been lost in Mint 12 for me.
Seen a lot of issues being reported for mint 12, but since I am using LXDE, I don't get that excited by them
--Don't really track desktop(s) newest news, not that worried about what the to and fro that desktop styling produces, but imagine it does appeal to new users (to have latest, newest effects/themes available)

And you might be back when Ubuntu messes up: anyway Good luck!
  • --every developer makes a mistake and disappoints current fans; who are used to what is there; but sometimes they get new fans, and that's the chance they all are taking.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Had an afterthought ... about the point made about trying to please everyone. Think there's definitely something to that. Distro's that want to cater to as wide an audience as possible do seem to end up having to put out software for every tom, dick and harriette in the world.

Some of the distro's I've come across and grown most fond of are apparently maintained by 1 person. They do one thing and do it extremely well. Like Crunchbang ... guy took Debian, config'ed it in a really well thought out way. That distro actually does have wide audience applications ( again imo ) Cause he went with what works well, well config'ed and went with the lowest common denominator. So can run great on low spec or highend hardware.

Or Slitaz ... amazing for being so friggin tiny, also a one person show. Whod've thunk you could pack everything ya need to have a fairly full featured OS into a few 100 mbs of diskspace ?

Mint, buntu ( plenty of others ) have cast the net wide. In the case of LM, think they do a dang good job of packaging and distributing something for everyone too. There's likely either something here out of the box or 100% something that you could tweak to suit ya offered by Mint. So diff strokes, might not instantly fall in luv with every change that comes default. But with a lil effort, tweaking or customizing to be what you want the software to be. No reason why someone has to be unhappy with the software. Guessing if someone insists that any particular distro is going to meet their every need and preference w/o some changing and compromising on their part. They'll be endlessly hopping back and forth between who know's what all ... forever, lol.

Definitely think Mint takes more care and does more to look out for it's users than canonical Inc. Would be foolish to get excited about any particular person choosing to use whatever software. Would be hypocritical anyway, I'm going to use what I like and whatever works best for me. Why wouldn't everybody else do the same ? Long live Gnu/Linux ! Taint it great ... whatever happens, think we all win ! Yay !
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

Why not just use the version of Mint that worked for you? Hell, LM 11 isn't even that old. :roll:

I agree that GNOME 3 is a travesty, but that's not going to just make me leave Linux Mint all together. We should give them some time to see if Mint can get past the problems in GNOME 3 or possibly get rid of it all together.
Forkjulle

Post by Forkjulle »

Mozenrath wrote:Why not just use the version of Mint that worked for you? Hell, LM 11 isn't even that old. :roll:

I agree that GNOME 3 is a travesty, but that's not going to just make me leave Linux Mint all together. We should give them some time to see if Mint can get past the problems in GNOME 3 or possibly get rid of it all together.
Gnome 3 is great, in my opinion. Interestingly, Ubuntu 11.10 works better for me than Mint 11 (or 12). My work flow - in Unity - has sped up, contrary to the belief of the angry Gnome 3 protesters. Mint 12 is a bit disjointed, but that's not Mint's fault.
ferri

Post by ferri »

Forkjulle wrote: Gnome 3 is great, in my opinion. Interestingly, Ubuntu 11.10 works better for me than Mint 11 (or 12). My work flow - in Unity - has sped up, contrary to the belief of the angry Gnome 3 protesters. Mint 12 is a bit disjointed, but that's not Mint's fault.
I did not understand you.
You migrated to ubuntu. OK. It is your decision. You informed us. OK.
But why are you still disputing about it? :!:
I am not happy about new LM 12, too. So I am still on LM 11. It is my decision. And life goes on.
Forkjulle

Post by Forkjulle »

Not disputing anything. Merely chatting. :mrgreen:
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

Forkjulle wrote:Not disputing anything. Merely chatting. :mrgreen:
What purpose do you think it (chatting) serves?
Forkjulle

Post by Forkjulle »

Kilz wrote:
Forkjulle wrote:Not disputing anything. Merely chatting. :mrgreen:
What purpose do you think it (chatting) serves?
More chatting. Discussion. Debate. No debate. More chatting. No chatting. Moderation. No moderation. Does it matter?

This is, if I'm correct, a general "chat" forum?
ferri

Post by ferri »

Kilz wrote: What purpose do you think it (chatting) serves?
Very good question for Forkjulle. :?:

I am former longtime Mandrake/Mandriva user. After releasing Mandriva 2011 it was impossible to continue Mandriva for me.
So I decided for Mint after some trying other distributions.
I said goodbye at mandriva forum without need to start new topic and discussion about my outgoing.
I only added one entry in one topic about new mandriva.
It was my way and the last time I was on mandriva forum.
Because this time I am not mandriva user what feedback I can give them? :)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Guys, you can't leave an OS, not even a DE, without announcing it in a dramatic way, those are the linux internet forum rules and forkjulle knows how to play the game - obviously you don't!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”