Good bye Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
dancingdog777

Good bye Mint

Post by dancingdog777 »

After months of dissatisfaction with various versions of Mint including 9, 10, 11, and 12, both 32 bit and 64bit, I have finally bitten the bullet and installed PCLinux OS Phoenix instead.

Why is it that the maker of Mint just can't make a decent distro that works without faults? Hmm?

In the series up to Mint 8, they were excellent, then after 9 everything went down hill. the questions being asked on the forums speak of just that! People can't make it run properly!

It's not the users that are wrong but the buffoons that make it that have wrecked it.

dwasifar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Good bye Mint

Post by dwasifar »

Buffoons?

Why don't you try making a better distro yourself? Then we'll all try it and see who's a buffoon.

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal »

Yep you are so right. I mean, Mint has managed to reach the #1 spot now with buffoons in charge :lol:
Last edited by z06gal on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seppalta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by seppalta »

I disagree 99% with Mr. Dancingdog, but my experience only goes back to Mint 10. The Mint 11 distributions are second to none at this point. I do occasionally wonder about some of the changes from the view of a user. These are small things. For example, can someone tell me why gnome-volume-control seems to have disappeared from the repositories including not being in the gnome-media package? Why has screenshot tools (gnome-screenshot, for example) that make images of desktop sub-regions been replaced by ones (pyshot, for example) that don't? Just curious if there is some functional reason behind changes like these that turn out to be dis functional to the end user. If it works, why replace it with something that doesn't? And if it isn't needed in the most update distributions, why not still leave it for at least a few years in the repositories for those of us using older distributions like Mint 11?

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim »

For dancingdog777 I had just the opposite change. I was a loyal PCLOS user right up until they jumped to KDE 4.0 series which I found to be an Alpha grade release. The old PCLOS ran great. Still does on my oldest system.

For seppalta the thing to do now is get remastersys busy to make your own install ISO's with all installed applications and updates. Then when you try something and it isn't to your liking you can quickly and easily return to your favourite stable platform.
Desktop:
Mint-18.3 Mate 64 bit
MSI B85M-E45
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 8GB DDR3 1600
2TB HDD WD Black 7200rpm

Laptop:
Acer Aspire AS5552-5898
Mint-17.3 Mate 64 bit
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830
4GB Memory DDR3
500GB HDD 5400rpm

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in »

PClinuxOS include proprietary drivers in media installation, not in linux mint.
You must install additional driver manually. even if you are using MS windows you must install a bunch a driver in new hardware.
If you cannot afford that , the "Problem Is Between Chair And Keyboard"

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

dancingdog777 wrote:After months of dissatisfaction with various versions of Mint including 9, 10, 11, and 12, both 32 bit and 64bit, I have finally bitten the bullet and installed PCLinux OS Phoenix instead.

Why is it that the maker of Mint just can't make a decent distro that works without faults? Hmm?

In the series up to Mint 8, they were excellent, then after 9 everything went down hill. the questions being asked on the forums speak of just that! People can't make it run properly!

It's not the users that are wrong but the buffoons that make it that have wrecked it.
I went back and reviewed your prior posts and all I can say is goodbye and enjoy PCLOS its a fine distro. I would also suggest you temper your posts a bit over there or you will find that the PCLOS community and Moderators are not as tolerant as the crew is over here. Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

Mike54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike54 »

monkeyboy wrote:
dancingdog777 wrote:I went back and reviewed your prior posts and all I can say is goodbye and enjoy PCLOS its a fine distro. I would also suggest you temper your posts a bit over there or you will find that the PCLOS community and Moderators are not as tolerant as the crew is over here. Enjoy
+1

All I'm left wondering is whether or not the door hit dancingdog on the backside, on his way out.

I've been using Mint since back in the 3.1 Celena days. The only version I didn't install/use was Mint 8. Other distros have lured me away, but I always come right back. Because Mint always works, straight out of the tin. I currently have three desktops, two running Mint 12 and one running LMDE. My laptop is running Mint 12. When I unpacked my laptop, I registered the Windows install, shrunk the Windows partition and installed Mint 9. The machine wasn't even an hour old and I was installing Mint on it.

And I am definitely not a Linux master. I am the user who wants his operating system to work, rather than the user who wants to work on his operating system. Some of the regulars on this forum awe me with their understanding and I do my best to learn from each of them. But I also remember spending well over an hour trying to get Mandriva to recognize I even owned a printer, before coming to my senses, wiping Mandriva and coming back to Mint. Mint just works. Every time. When people ask me for a Linux recommendation, I point them toward the Mint download page and give them a shove to get them moving. When asked why I recommend Mint, my answer is two words - "It works." I actually should add how it looks mighty elegant whilst doing it, too.

I was leery of GNOME 3, but once I discovered Cinnamon, I was, within minutes, installing Lisa on two more machines. I almost (not quite, thankfully) wiped my LMDE install in favor of Lisa. It was really that close, but I pulled back from the edge at the last minute. :wink:

In four-plus years of using various Mint releases, my one and only problem is containing my excitement at what the prospects of LMDE and Cinnamon are going to be like. Would I like to see it today? Absolutely. If it is stable. Otherwise, I am going to respect Clem's judgment and wait for the big day with zero complaints. I am more than happy to wait until Clem is satisfied the release meets his unquestionably high standards of quality. I have a rock-solid LMDE install until that day.

Hawkeye_52
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

monkeyboy wrote:
dancingdog777 wrote:After months of dissatisfaction with various versions of Mint including 9, 10, 11, and 12, both 32 bit and 64bit, I have finally bitten the bullet and installed PCLinux OS Phoenix instead.

I went back and reviewed your prior posts and all I can say is goodbye and enjoy PCLOS its a fine distro. I would also suggest you temper your posts a bit over there or you will find that the PCLOS community and Moderators are not as tolerant as the crew is over here. Enjoy
Monkeyboy,

I underlined and bolded a section of your last post. All I can say is sad but true...

PCLinuxOS is a fine technical accomplishment. Texstar 'rolls' rpms better than anyone. But when it comes to users, some are treated more 'equally' than others on the forums...

Even with that, I still follow PCLinuxOS regularly because they do so many things right technically, and I dabble with their Live CDs. But I am a very infrequent poster in their forums :( .

Hawkeye

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Hawkeye_52 wrote:Even with that, I still follow PCLinuxOS regularly because they do so many things right technically, and I dabble with their Live CDs. But I am a very infrequent poster in their forums.
Same here. Love PCLOS, but rarely post at their forums anymore. I basically just go there to check for important announcements. Great distro, though -- can't say enough about the job Tex does with it.

kurok
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kurok »

All i have to say is how much did you pay for this OS? How much did you pay for any support you needed?
So mint isn't for you. Move on to something that works for you no biggie. The name calling really wasn't
necessary tho.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”