Sell me on Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Post Reply
User avatar
2Karl
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Sell me on Mint

Post by 2Karl »

Hi all,

I'm currently a "floating voter" considering another distro hop. Having moved from Redhat back in 98 through Mandrake then on to Ubuntu, I was reasonably happy for a number of years. Then I started getting a little irritated by "the hand of Shuttleworth" and I jumped ship to Debian. I'm currently running Debian Sid, but am considering other options. Someone recommended Mint to me as "Ubuntu without the Shuttleworth". Is this the case? I noticed there's a Debian flavour of mint which as far as I can tell is based off Sid. Would there be any real difference in using Mint LMDE over my current Debian install?

For the record, I am using a standard Gnome3 desktop right now (and contrary to popular opinion, I think it's really good). I've read the Mint documentation extensively and am intrigued by the Mint Shell Extensions. I understand that they can be disabled to return to a standard Gnome3 desktop, but out of interest, what level of granularity would I have doing this? I don't like the window selection bar cluttering up the bottom of the screen, but I do like the idea of a task-centric task manager. I like gnome3's multiple desktop management and would like the have the same functionality, and I'm not interested in a menu as I type in the name of the program I want to access ata specific time. Would I be able to configure the MGSE to the configuration described above, or is it an all or nothing deal?

My computer is used for a LOT of different things. I like to play games on it. I like to browse the internet. I do a substantial amount of programming (python, C++, Java). I also use it for planning lessons. Debian currently allows me to do most of these things in a reasonably efficient manner. Would Mint give me any significant advantage?

Debian handles 32-bit applications on 64-bit reasonably well using the ia32libs. I'm assuming as mint is a second generation derivative of Debian that it uses a similar setup; am I correct in this assumption?


Oh and one final question, which may be a clincher: if Mint has a rhythmbox package, does the jamendo plugin work? If Mint has Banshee, can it group music by genre?

Thanks for your time, I look forward to your replies.
"It's a pity she won't live. But then who does?" - Gaff.
User avatar
Zukaro Travon
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:24 pm
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Re: Sell me on Mint

Post by Zukaro Travon »

I don't really know all that much about the other things you asked (*is new to Linux Mint myself, installed it yesterday for the first time*), but so far it's very similar to Ubuntu, just without Unity. The software manager doesn't seem to list any plugins however, but you should be able to install all of those through the terminal if you need them.
User avatar
2Karl
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Sell me on Mint

Post by 2Karl »

Any other thoughts? I'm about to give the live CD a spin anyway, just wanted to get opinions from the horses' mouths, so to speak.
"It's a pity she won't live. But then who does?" - Gaff.
User avatar
Zukaro Travon
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:24 pm
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Re: Sell me on Mint

Post by Zukaro Travon »

Well, I think it uses gnome3 very well. Especially with that bottom bar which makes it easy to tell whats open and gives you a menu similar to the Windows start menu. It also comes with gnome-tweak-tool installed already, which makes it easier to customize gnome3 (which doesn't have many customization options by default).
User avatar
2Karl
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Sell me on Mint

Post by 2Karl »

Well I'm not interested in a bottom bar or a windows style menu as I think they're outdated and unnecessary; is it possible to switch these off?
"It's a pity she won't live. But then who does?" - Gaff.
User avatar
Zukaro Travon
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:24 pm
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Re: Sell me on Mint

Post by Zukaro Travon »

I think so; I remember there being a post about it somewhere but I forget where.
Google probably has the answer.
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 24926
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Sell me on Mint

Post by xenopeek »

2Karl wrote:Hi all,

I'm currently a "floating voter" considering another distro hop. Having moved from Redhat back in 98 through Mandrake then on to Ubuntu, I was reasonably happy for a number of years. Then I started getting a little irritated by "the hand of Shuttleworth" and I jumped ship to Debian. I'm currently running Debian Sid, but am considering other options. Someone recommended Mint to me as "Ubuntu without the Shuttleworth". Is this the case? I noticed there's a Debian flavour of mint which as far as I can tell is based off Sid. Would there be any real difference in using Mint LMDE over my current Debian install?
Whether there is any "real difference" depends on your definition of that :wink: LMDE uses "update packs", where the development team tests updates from Wheezy/Testing for a while and then pushes updates as a set. Sometimes holding back on things deemed still too unstable from Wheezy/Testing. The forums are used to track problems and solutions from the updates, so usually when the next update pack arrives there is already information from the testers with workarounds for common problems. It generally is meant to give a little more stability to Wheezy/Testing. You can however use other repositories with LMDE, so to go with Sid/Unstable for example, or directly on Wheezy/Testing without waiting for the update packs.

This will likely shed more light on it, zerozero is maintaining a new LMDE FAQ on the forums, here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=91405
2Karl wrote:For the record, I am using a standard Gnome3 desktop right now (and contrary to popular opinion, I think it's really good). I've read the Mint documentation extensively and am intrigued by the Mint Shell Extensions. I understand that they can be disabled to return to a standard Gnome3 desktop, but out of interest, what level of granularity would I have doing this? I don't like the window selection bar cluttering up the bottom of the screen, but I do like the idea of a task-centric task manager. I like gnome3's multiple desktop management and would like the have the same functionality, and I'm not interested in a menu as I type in the name of the program I want to access ata specific time. Would I be able to configure the MGSE to the configuration described above, or is it an all or nothing deal?
The next update pack will likely bring Gnome 3 (currently LMDE with default repository is on Gnome 2). Work is being done to get MGSE and Cinnamon (the Linux Mint fork of Gnome 3) working on LMDE. MATE (the fork of Gnome 2) is also planned for LMDE.
2Karl wrote:My computer is used for a LOT of different things. I like to play games on it. I like to browse the internet. I do a substantial amount of programming (python, C++, Java). I also use it for planning lessons. Debian currently allows me to do most of these things in a reasonably efficient manner. Would Mint give me any significant advantage?

Debian handles 32-bit applications on 64-bit reasonably well using the ia32libs. I'm assuming as mint is a second generation derivative of Debian that it uses a similar setup; am I correct in this assumption?.
Difficult questions for me to answer. At least the ia32libs works the same :wink: I prefer the way Linux Mint developers target the GUI; with pure Debian I have to configure too much on the GUI to make it workable for me (too much wasted screen real-estate with Gnome 2 and 3 on Debian).
2Karl wrote:Oh and one final question, which may be a clincher: if Mint has a rhythmbox package, does the jamendo plugin work? If Mint has Banshee, can it group music by genre?
No clue, I still buy music in meatspace :wink:
Image
User avatar
Murdock
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:23 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Sell me on Mint

Post by Murdock »

WOW.
What a waste of bandwidth !
Pura Vida.
Arenal Botanical Garden
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica
Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”