[Poll] Envy vs Restricted Manager

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

How did you activate your 3D effects in Daryna?

I didn't, I don't need 3D.
11%
I didn't have to install any drivers, my card supported 3D out of the box.
9%
I used the Restricted Manager to get the drivers for my card.
27%
I used Envy to get the drivers for my card.
47%
I downloaded/installed the drivers myself.
5%

Total votes: 116

clem
Level 12
Level 12

[Poll] Envy vs Restricted Manager

Post by clem »

Hi,

This poll is for users of "Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna Main Edition". With the recent progress and improvements made by canonical on the Restricted Manager we would like to get an idea of how many people still use Envy.

Please answer the poll and give us feedback by replying to this thread.

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: [Poll] Envy vs Restricted Manager

Post by Husse »

I think both are needed. Not sure but it seems that the latest Envy gets newer drivers than "Restricted"
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I prefer to use Envy; maybe it's just because it seems to do many things that the Rest Man doesn't do in the driver installing process... but maybe it's just an impression. I trust it more anyway. (Yeah, I don't have any logic motivation :shock: )
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Since I use mint on a laptop, for some strange reason envy never install the driver to work with 3d. The restricted drivver also is the same way. Althouh on the desktop machine both worked flawlessly.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

I have installed Daryna on 8 boxes, some worked, some I used RM, most I used Envy.

If the cube won't flip, post install I'll usually reach for Envy.

I can't really say why, it could just be habit. It always seems to work.
hippy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hippy »

To be honest i forget about the restricted manager and have always used Envy with no problems, so although i voted for Envy that is because i have not used any other way on Daryna. Now i am just awaiting delivery of a new nvidia card, when it arrives i will try the restricted manager to see what its like.
hippy

"To touch the earth is to have harmony with nature." Oglala Sioux
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

i use envy because it always works for me, even if I do generally have to tweak xorg.conf a bit afterwards, lol.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I'd like to thank everybody for taking the time to vote in this poll. Both the restricted manager (well.. it's now the driver manager) and envy (well... I mean envyNG) will be there by default in Mint 5.

Clem.
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

Nice clem! I was hoping I'd have something easy to work with for my new 9500M GS. I attempted Envy and nothing was working off the bat, but I had other problems to attend to (Vista SP1 and grub), so I decided to wait for Elyssa. Just the answer I was looking for...
teaumaz

Post by teaumaz »

I used the RDM. Envy does not correctly install my Radeon 9600 Pro for some reason. However, I think this is a false dilemma as I believe it would be good to keep both possibilities of enabling 3D in Linux Mint. Any particular reason why you would want to get rid of either Envy or the RDM?
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Restricted Manager did the job, so I had no need to use Envy. Although it's not installed properly, my card is 256MB and it's installed it as 128. Never actually thought to use Envy, though... in case you can't tell, I'm still not fully integrated with the Linux community.
pete284

Post by pete284 »

I tried Envy first on my Acer Aspire and it had no effect whatsoever. I then tried the Restricted drivers and it worked fine.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I typically try the restricted driver manager. If that doesn't work I try Envy next. I'm also of the opinion that it's good to have the choice, as each installation is unique, and one may work better than the other.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I only use Envy for my Nvidia drivers, because it does a better job of tweaking xorg. One good reason for keeping the restricted drivers manager, is that it pulls in drivers for more than just graphics cards, such as wireless, dial-up, etc.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”