Why is Linux Mint so popular?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erbad

Why is Linux Mint so popular?

Post by erbad »

I've been using Ubuntu for perhaps 2 years now and have been really happy with the LTS version that doesn't have Unity.

Recently, I decided to upgrade to the latest version and was faced with Unity which I thought wasn't all that great or flexible. Some users suggested Linux Mint as a good alternative and I'm just wondering what makes this OS so good? It's obviously got a growing following as it is number one on distrowatch now as well.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lumikki

Re: Why is Linux Mint so popular?

Post by Lumikki »

I think Mint's popularity have a few reasons.

1. Linux Mint is designed for easy use on desktop computers.
2. It's more conservative as not going with new Ubuntu direction.
3. It works out of the box, with full multimedia support and is extremely easy to use.
4. Based on Debian and Ubuntu, it provides about 30,000 packages.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Moved by moderator
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

What makes any Linux distro good? When it provides what works for you, that makes it good :wink: But as a better answer, I'm suggesting you give this recent, unbiased, article comparing Ubuntu and Linux Mint a read: A tale of two distros: Ubuntu and Linux Mint

Whether you stay on Ubuntu or move to Linux Mint, it should give you a kick for being part of something great either way :mrgreen: And remember, you can install Unity on Linux Mint and you can install Cinnamon or Ubuntu, so you have freedom to use what works best for you :wink:
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

@ erbad: Adding to the (excellent) points made by Lumikki, these are a few additional reasons why I would recommend Mint:

1. Updates are 'graded' on a scale of 1-5. Upgrades of level 4 and 5 which might introduce instability are disabled by default. This makes the system more stable. (I've never had upgrades break anything in Mint.)
2. Perhaps the most beginner-friendly distro. So easy that even my parents (with no experience with Linux, minimal experience with computers in general) installed all by themselves and are perfectly happy with it. (See http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=89587 for my parents' 'adventure'.)
3. The developers have a clear idea of what a desktop-oriented distribution is. They are also quite receptive to user feedback and suggestion.
4. The main reasons why I personally like it - the community. The folks are very knowledgeable and 'newbie-friendly' at the same time. [I've never been flamed or told to 'RT(cough)M' even when I ask the dumbest question :)]

Just my $0.02...

In your case, regarding Ubuntu, version 12.04 promises to be really good. So, hopefully, the issues with the previous versions will have been ironed out by the time they release it.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I think it is just the completeness of the distribution, however it can have the same problems/bugs as Ubuntu at the same release level: eg. Mint 12, Ubuntu 12 (Gnome desktop)

Ubuntu is dropping kde desktop (Kubuntu may keep going ?) and going full force Gnome
--if you like Gnome, that's ok, I have used Mint and did get used to Gnome, although it is always less user (GUI) customizable than kde, without some delving into the desktop functions (gconfedit..)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gconf-editor

Now I use a simpler desktop (lxde), which is closer to the older Linuxes with some *.txt file editing being the main method of dealing with system configurations..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXDE
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

DrHu wrote:
Now I use a simpler desktop (lxde), which is closer to the older Linuxes with some *.txt file editing being the main method of dealing with system configurations..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXDE
I have grown to love LXDE!

anyway. why I think mint is so popular is this, Mint listens to the community it has, the community is friendly to newbs, Mint works out of the box and its easy to use.

I just moved over to debian stable lxde for my main os. but on my test bed partition it has LM9 LXDE on it (i use it for testing website stuff) and keep it as a backup incase I screw something up with debian
RAWRferal

Post by RAWRferal »

Cinammon and Mint Menu!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”