Linux Torvalds may be heading toward Mint or Cinnamon!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
woodsmoke

Linux Torvalds may be heading toward Mint or Cinnamon!

Post by woodsmoke »

Welllll prolly not! :lol: But the article describes how Torvalds "blew up" when his daughter had to have an admin password to print a paper and then the article explains why....but then goes on to suggest the he try Linux Mint or it's Cinnamony falvour...a rather humorous article ...really...

Linux Torvalds snarls...

woodsmoke
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vanDoom

Re: Linux Torvalds may be heading toward Mint or Cinnamon!

Post by vanDoom »

He is right - and I guess he is the grandfather of Linux - but what a jerk!
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I wonder... if you change this thread's name to something more honest (like "A ZDNet author suggests Linus try Linux Mint 12 with Cinnamon"), how many people will even spot it? :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I don't think I have a grumpy Torvalds rant in me but man am I tired of password prompts in Linux, I think I see around 30 of those a day and it's way too many.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

bimsebasse wrote:I don't think I have a grumpy Torvalds rant in me but man am I tired of password prompts in Linux, I think I see around 30 of those a day and it's way too many.
What about something like this, for example:

Code: Select all

alias nm='echo "yourpassword" | sudo -S service network-manager restart'
or whatever stuff bugs you the most.
I know it's a "security" risk but I'm the only user of this PC.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

bimsebasse wrote:I think I see around 30 of those a day and it's way too many.
Indeed :shock: But what do you do to get so many of them?
nomko

Post by nomko »

The only time i want to be asked for my root password is when i install a program or make (crucial/critical) changes in my settings. And also when i perform a sudo command in the terminal. That are the moments you can bug me asking my root password.

Root password for adding a printer??? Ridiculous!
Root password for changing the time zone??? Ridiculous!
Root password for changing the (let's say) desktop background??? That would be stupid.
Root password for changing the (let's say) the standard system fonts??? That would be stupid as well.

As long nothing critical or crucial can be changed, skip the whole "root password required" procedure.
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

nomko wrote:The only time i want to be asked for my root password is when i install a program or make (crucial/critical) changes in my settings. And also when i perform a sudo command in the terminal. That are the moments you can bug me asking my root password.

Root password for adding a printer??? Ridiculous!
Root password for changing the time zone??? Ridiculous!
Root password for changing the (let's say) desktop background??? That would be stupid.
Root password for changing the (let's say) the standard system fonts??? That would be stupid as well.

As long nothing critical or crucial can be changed, skip the whole "root password required" procedure.
Besides the desktop background one, all of those actions require access to root-only writable files. They change certain GLOBAL aspects of the system that not only affect your user, but any other users on the system. Now, regardless if you're the only user on the system, the point still remains that you're dealing with SYSTEM-WIDE configurations and files. So, it is a little necessary.
nomko

Post by nomko »

KittyKatt wrote:Besides the desktop background one, all of those actions require access to root-only writable files.
Your kidding right? (I hope).... root acces for changing standard fonts???? Desktop > right click > Change Background and then select the tab Fonts.... no root acces required.
They change certain GLOBAL aspects of the system that not only affect your user, but any other users on the system. Now, regardless if you're the only user on the system, the point still remains that you're dealing with SYSTEM-WIDE configurations and files. So, it is a little necessary.
Yes, for critical or crucial actions/changes such as installing software, cleaning your system (sudo apt-get autoremove/autoclean) you're right. But some actions like adding a printer i never had to provide my password.
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

nomko wrote:
KittyKatt wrote:Besides the desktop background one, all of those actions require access to root-only writable files.
Your kidding right? (I hope).... root acces for changing standard fonts???? Desktop > right click > Change Background and then select the tab Fonts.... no root acces required.
They change certain GLOBAL aspects of the system that not only affect your user, but any other users on the system. Now, regardless if you're the only user on the system, the point still remains that you're dealing with SYSTEM-WIDE configurations and files. So, it is a little necessary.
Yes, for critical or crucial actions/changes such as installing software, cleaning your system (sudo apt-get autoremove/autoclean) you're right. But some actions like adding a printer i never had to provide my password.
Well, if you're install system-wide fonts, they'd be going in /usr/share/fonts/. I misread "changing" for "installing". My bad.

You also may be using some kind of keyring. I don't use GNOME, and therefore do not use gnome-keyring, so I don't know what exactly it's "remembering", but I remember at least system-config-printer asking for at least user password to verify access to sudo commands.

Changing a timezone also writes to some file under /etc/, if I recall correctly. :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

system-config-printer installs printers in your own user account if you aren't root - unless you make a printer available to all users which requires root access. But Gnome 3's printer configuration tool requires you to be root. Anyway, the old system-config-printer which Gnome 2 distros used is still available from the command-line, possibly because Mate still uses it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

AlbertP wrote:system-config-printer installs printers in your own user account if you aren't root - unless you make a printer available to all users which requires root access. But Gnome 3's printer configuration tool requires you to be root. Anyway, the old system-config-printer which Gnome 2 distros used is still available from the command-line, possibly because Mate still uses it.
Ah, see that's interesting. I haven't even been in a GNOME3 environment YET. I like to stick to my DE-less existence. So, I could be wrong on a couple of things.
nomko

Post by nomko »

KittyKatt wrote:Ah, see that's interesting. I haven't even been in a GNOME3 environment YET. I like to stick to my DE-less existence. So, I could be wrong on a couple of things.
I think we all need to get used to some changed here and there. I noticed some slight differences between Gnome 2 and Gnome 3 and i'm not talking about the desktop environment.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”