Gnome 3.4 and Linux Mint 13

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
cromat
Level 1
Level 1

Gnome 3.4 and Linux Mint 13

Postby cromat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:22 pm

I know I may differ from the general direction Clem is taking Linux Mint, and why I maybe moving back to Ubuntu/Linux Mint (and installing gnome-shell) with latest gnome shell when Mint 13 arrives. With the announcement of Gnome 3.4 being release, are we going to see any love for Gnome Shell 3.XX??? Or is this distro truly dedicated to providing a modern looking gnome 2.XX feel?

I know gnome 3 isn't popular in this community, but for me I think it is the right direction, I like to keep a distro around that generally works well out of the box and offer desktop shells I enjoy.

Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Gnome 3.4 and Linux Mint 13

Postby Daniel4lm » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:57 pm

cromat wrote:I know I may differ from the general direction Clem is taking Linux Mint, and why I maybe moving back to Ubuntu/Linux Mint (and installing gnome-shell) with latest gnome shell when Mint 13 arrives. With the announcement of Gnome 3.4 being release, are we going to see any love for Gnome Shell 3.XX??? Or is this distro truly dedicated to providing a modern looking gnome 2.XX feel?

I know gnome 3 isn't popular in this community, but for me I think it is the right direction, I like to keep a distro around that generally works well out of the box and offer desktop shells I enjoy.

Hello cromat. As I understand, Linux Mint 13 will likely come with Cinnamon shell(version 1.x), in parallel with the Gnome shell 3.x (probably ver. 3.4 - becouse Ubuntu 12.04 comeS with GS 3.4).

classic
Level 1
Level 1

Postby classic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Hopefully a completely STOCK gnome 3.4.

cromat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cromat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Daniel4lm wrote:
cromat wrote:I know I may differ from the general direction Clem is taking Linux Mint, and why I maybe moving back to Ubuntu/Linux Mint (and installing gnome-shell) with latest gnome shell when Mint 13 arrives. With the announcement of Gnome 3.4 being release, are we going to see any love for Gnome Shell 3.XX??? Or is this distro truly dedicated to providing a modern looking gnome 2.XX feel?

Hello cromat. As I understand, Linux Mint 13 will likely come with Cinnamon shell(version 1.x), in parallel with the Gnome shell 3.x (probably ver. 3.4 - becouse Ubuntu 12.04 comeS with GS 3.4).

Anywhere this is documented? And where did you read Ubuntu 12.04 includes Gnome-Shell 3.4??? Unity is based on gnome, not gnome-shell why would it be included?

Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Daniel4lm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:51 am

cromat wrote:
Daniel4lm wrote:

Anywhere this is documented? And where did you read Ubuntu 12.04 includes Gnome-Shell 3.4??? Unity is based on gnome, not gnome-shell why would it be included?

Ubunru 12.04 will have Gnome 3.4 in their repositories. It was revealed yesterday in some places (OMGUbuntu, ...). It’s important to remember that 12.04 is a Long Term Support release. So LM13 is LTS too. Unity is based on Gnome 3, it' true, it' also a shell, and Gnome shell is the shell for Gnome 3, so if you have Gnome 3.4 in repos, surely you have the Gnome Shell 3.4.

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Andrew33 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:37 am

Just my personal opinion, but before anyone goes and puts Gnome 3.4 or an upgraded Cinnamon shell in any new release, you better make sure all this new stuff is compatible with current programs in the repositories.....like for instance, Xiphos....I've found the xiphos won't work above kernel 3.0.0-1....you get into kernel 3.2.0-1 and above, it won't work...(i've had people tell me otherwise, but on my laptop, it won't work above 3.0.0-1)....cheers

Andrew

beanaroo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby beanaroo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 am

@cromat

I feel the same way... I would love to have Mint's framework with Gnome 3.4. I truly enjoy this UI.

Daniel4lm wrote: As I understand, Linux Mint 13 will likely come with Cinnamon shell(version 1.x), in parallel with the Gnome shell 3.x (probably ver. 3.4 - becouse Ubuntu 12.04 comeS with GS 3.4).

I hope that's the case! :)

akavir
Level 2
Level 2

Postby akavir » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm totally on the other side of this. Cinnamon has been the first Gnome based desktop I've used that I actually like. Props to Clem and team! Default desktops are kind of a moot point these days though. It's easy enough to install anything you want from repos!

eric k
Level 3
Level 3

Postby eric k » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:38 am

cromat wrote:Anywhere this is documented? And where did you read Ubuntu 12.04 includes Gnome-Shell 3.4??? Unity is based on gnome, not gnome-shell why would it be included?

Most components of Gnome 3.4 made it into Ubuntu 12.04 before feature freeze. This doesn't mean that they will all be installed by default though: Contacts, Boxes, and Web (the renamed Epiphany browser) will probably not be be include on the iso image, and will have to be added by the user if interested.

Unity is based on Gnome, but it's only one shell that can sit on top of it, and when one talks about a new Gnome distribution these days, with the notable exception of Ubuntu (and Gnome 2 distros like Debian) Gnome Shell is what's being referred to. Gnome has ceased development of Gnome 2, and Gnome 3's default UI is Gnome Shell. So even though Ubuntu doesn't use Gnome Shell, it does still use Gnome, and Gnome release 3.4 doesn't just refer to the Shell, but to the entire release.

Similarly, Linux Mint 13 will use Cinnamon as it's default UI, but will still be built on Gnome, in this case the 3.4 release.

We do seem to be drowning in semantics lately. :)
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775, Xeon 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2-800, EVGA 8800GT, WD Caviar 250 GB SATA-2

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Crunchbang Waldorf, Mint 13 w/Cinnamon, Elementary Luna Beta, Puppy

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby bimsebasse » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:10 am

Shouldn't be any reason to worry, Cinnamon aims to be based on the latest Gnome version and Gnome 3.4 adjustments are already old news on github, so the latest Gnome Shell would then either be included by default or easily installed.

The same old misunderstandings thrive in this thread as well so just to make clear:

Gnome Shell, Unity and Cinnamon ALL are Gnome shells. The current Cinnamon is a shell on top of the Gnome 3.2 desktop environment as is the Ubuntu 11.10 Unity. Neither have anything to do with Gnome 2 and neither are something different from Gnome 3.2.

DE: Gnome 3.x
Shells on top of it: Gnome Shell/Unity/Cinnamon
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby exploder » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Very nicely put bimsebasse! :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”