Page 1 of 1

The Classic Desktop Is Alive: MATE

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:25 pm
by KBD47

Re: The Classic Desktop Is Alive: MATE

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:33 am
by hellfire695
yeap it ships with lmde right now and will be a primary de in mint 13

Re: The Classic Desktop Is Alive: MATE

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 am
by KBD47
hellfire695 wrote:yeap it ships with lmde right now and will be a primary de in mint 13
As I say on the blog, I think MATE as default is a great decision by Mint :-)
KBD47

Re: The Classic Desktop Is Alive: MATE

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:58 am
by squeezy
Nice writeup, KDB. I hope it gets picked up by some of the review sites and helps spread the word about MATE.

Re: The Classic Desktop Is Alive: MATE

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:17 am
by KBD47
squeezy wrote:Nice writeup, KDB. I hope it gets picked up by some of the review sites and helps spread the word about MATE.
Thanks squeezy :-) It is so good to see Mint and MATE bring some sanity to Linux. When I came to Linux, not that long ago, there was so much confusion with Unity, Gnome 3, and Gnome 2 discontinued. I liked Gnome 2 from the start and could not imagine why it was being discontinued. I still think it is one of the most feature rich desktops.
KBD47

Re: The Classic Desktop Is Alive: MATE

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:38 am
by bimsebasse
hellfire695 wrote:yeap it ships with lmde right now and will be a primary de in mint 13
I'm worried, "a" or "the" primary session? An assumption or something you know?

Re: The Classic Desktop Is Alive: MATE

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 am
by hellfire695
bimsebasse wrote:
hellfire695 wrote:yeap it ships with lmde right now and will be a primary de in mint 13
I'm worried, "a" or "the" primary session? An assumption or something you know?
what do know is that cinnamon will be shipping out too, as for which the system will boot into when you install it, not sure, but i dont think it will matter. changing sessions is easy enough. what i'm more worried bout i mint 13 being a buggy release, there being such major changes and 2 relatively untested desktops. that said i mean no disrespect to clem and his guys, they seem quite competent.

Re: The Classic Desktop Is Alive: MATE

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:28 am
by squeezy
What I'm waiting for anxiously is a MATE-only release of LMDE. I tried to strip out the Cinnamon/Gnome components on the RC but borked my system doing so. I reinstalled and have left well-enough alone this time. I simply don't use the non-MATE login. Being an avowed minimalist I still wish for a straight MATE setup.

Re: The Classic Desktop Is Alive: MATE

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:36 am
by bimsebasse
squeezy wrote:What I'm waiting for anxiously is a MATE-only release of LMDE. I tried to strip out the Cinnamon/Gnome components on the RC but borked my system doing so. I reinstalled and have left well-enough alone this time. I simply don't use the non-MATE login. Being an avowed minimalist I still wish for a straight MATE setup.
Agree. It's great that distros now come with more session options but it could be easier to remove the sessions you don't need.