Mate build of mint and mint debian (lmde) needed.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyed

Mate build of mint and mint debian (lmde) needed.

Post by mintyed »

as noted it would be a good idea to have a mate only build. as mate is continuation of gnome 2 project with comparability for gnome 3.

what this build would do is remove all un-needed gnome 3 apps and extras that are not required by mate.

Cinnamon is ok to use as well but mate is the original gnome 2 project os many would prefer that. aslo in mint debian cinnamon does not seem to have any of the addons that are in mint 12 cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: Mate build of mint and mint debian (lmde) needed.

Post by cwwgateway »

mintyed wrote:as noted it would be a good idea to have a mate only build. as mate is continuation of gnome 2 project with comparability for gnome 3.

what this build would do is remove all un-needed gnome 3 apps and extras that are not required by mate.

Cinnamon is ok to use as well but mate is the original gnome 2 project os many would prefer that. aslo in mint debian cinnamon does not seem to have any of the addons that are in mint 12 cinnamon.
I agree that there should be a seperate MATE iso, and I think that there will be once it matures (meaning the next iso re-spin). Mint debian cinnamon is exactly (or at least almost exactly) the same as mint 12 cinnamon. The defaults are exactly the same, and all of the themes, applets, and extensions work with both.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

I have to disagree with mintyed and cwwgateway :lol: Using the latest spin of LMDE I am able to boot between Mate and Cinnamon merely by logging out and then in again and choosing my preference. No having to install another OS. "Tis perfect for this geriatric who likes a liitle variety in his life :)
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

cwwgateway wrote:I agree that there should be a seperate MATE iso, and I think that there will be once it matures (meaning the next iso re-spin). Mint debian cinnamon is exactly (or at least almost exactly) the same as mint 12 cinnamon. The defaults are exactly the same, and all of the themes, applets, and extensions work with both.
if you look in the lmde repos there is cinnamon but no extra addons for it ok. not like mint 12
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

tenfoot wrote:I have to disagree with mintyed and cwwgateway :lol: Using the latest spin of LMDE I am able to boot between Mate and Cinnamon merely by logging out and then in again and choosing my preference. No having to install another OS. "Tis perfect for this geriatric who likes a liitle variety in his life :)
each to there own. you can install as many desktops as you like. but it can take a bit to set them up. you have to tweat teh menu removing the apps from the other desktops to clean it up
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

mintyed wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:I agree that there should be a seperate MATE iso, and I think that there will be once it matures (meaning the next iso re-spin). Mint debian cinnamon is exactly (or at least almost exactly) the same as mint 12 cinnamon. The defaults are exactly the same, and all of the themes, applets, and extensions work with both.
if you look in the lmde repos there is cinnamon but no extra addons for it ok. not like mint 12
There aren't any addons for cinnamon in the mint 12 repos either. You have to add bimsebasse's ppa to get extras, and you can do the same in lmde.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”