Ubuntu drops Unity and moves back to GNOME

Chat about Linux in general
MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Ubuntu drops Unity and moves back to GNOME

Postby MintyO » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:10 am

More reactions from the community: https://www.change.org/p/canonical-ltd- ... nome-shell

I don't know what it signals exactly or what the impact is (probably nothing). Just thought I'd post for anyone interested.
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 am

It doesn't signal anything except some KDE users apparently not being content with Kubuntu, KDE Neon, Linux Mint KDE or any of the other Ubuntu based distros using KDE. Or thinking KDE should have been chosen because it can be made to look and behave much like Unity with some work and compromise (it looks clunky). But so what that KDE can be made to look and behave like Unity? So can MATE with Mutiny. So can Gnome Shell (see Zorin OS for example). And likely other desktop environments with a little work and some tweaks.

I'd say these KDE users have lost perspective. If Canonical wanted to continue with Unity they would. Convergence and phone is dead so to Canonical Unity is dead. People that want to continue with Unity have the Yunit fork and likely soon an Ubuntu Yunit distro. The fact that other desktop environments can be made to look like Unity doesn't play into Canonical's decision on the way forward.

Other arguments I read were about Unity8 would be Qt based and so KDE should be chosen because it also is Qt based. Again, convergence and phone are dead so this isn't relevant. Qt was chosen because it has excellent support on phone hardware. As Canonical is dropping phone as a target, the prime reason to go with Qt is gone as well. Besides that, Unity8 wasn't going to use KDE applications—they were writing applications in QML and QtQuick for Unity8. Not using applications using the KDE libraries but pure Qt.

Lysander666
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Lysander666 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:25 pm

MintyO wrote:More reactions from the community: https://www.change.org/p/canonical-ltd- ... nome-shell

I don't know what it signals exactly or what the impact is (probably nothing). Just thought I'd post for anyone interested.

Oh, I do love a good internet petition. If only these petition starters would get it into their heads that success has nothing to do with how many signatures they accrue, but if the person the petition is directed at cares little enough about their vision to be swayed by outsiders. If they are focused in their goal, even a million signatures will make no difference. Still it's nice to think they can.
Debian 8.7 Jessie + Ubuntu / Mint / Solus

KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Postby KBD47 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:41 pm

MintyO wrote:More reactions from the community: https://www.change.org/p/canonical-ltd- ... nome-shell

I would say yes--go with KDE. KDE should get more love from the Linux community. But not because it can be made to look like Unity. KDE is an awesome desktop in its own right and full featured. It doesn't need any tweaks. I recently installed KDE Debian Stretch and out of the box it was ready to go, doesn't need to be made usable like Gnome Shell. Debian defaults to Gnome DE as does Fedora. Only Suse defaults to KDE. Would love to have seen Ubuntu choose KUbuntu as its default DE. KDE solves all the reasons/problems for them having left Gnome to begin with. But the decision has already been made.

Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Condorman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:08 am

My personal feeling on all of this is that it is fantastic news. I say that but I'm extremely sad that this didn't play out for Canonical however. There wasn't much wrong with Unity imho and it was a nice modern desktop (though it was a bit too fussy for my tastes), and I'm even more sad that the phone/tablet stuff didn't happen. Nobody wanted them to fail. I never read that anywhere. However, when you look around and a company like Microsoft is in the same boat, well nvm eh?

But Canonical going back to GNOME is great for a number of reasons imo. Firstly, the desktop edition hadn't seen any real upgrade for about what, 4 years? It's been in maintenance mode since around 2013/14. During this time, all the other desktops have improved considerably, and even smaller communities like Cinnamon have added considerably to the landscape. GNOME 3 has certainly improved massively too, and the audience has caught up with it as well. You still get some die-hards ranting that this or that desktop sucks. They're wrong.

But most importantly it seems to me that all those distros using Ubuntu as a base can breathe a little easier, because technologies that Canonical were pursuing would have meant radical change for them that now is less likely, and less likely to cause fragmentation. How could Mint have continued if Mir had been implemented when the rest of the landscape is using Wayland? Surely it would have been impossible. They would have had to seek a different base. I think many people (though not necessarily folks here) may underestimate the displacement of the Linux landscape if Ubuntu were to cordon off its area in this way. Moving back to GNOME will allow them to focus and trim and get fit.

But mostly, the GNOME 3/Shell desktop is fantastic and it should be their main DE. My feeling is they should never have moved away from it in the first place. I know the "but it sucks" crew will be along shortly, but that's OK. They turn up everywhere and just won't let it go. :-D

Return to “Chat about Linux”