Chat about Linux in general
Hoser Rob
Level 8
Level 8

Good article re Ubuntu's future

Postby Hoser Rob » Sat May 27, 2017 9:35 am

This is a good read, and they have good things to say about Mint:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/25 ... x_futures/

I agree with the author that Ubuntu wants to go the Red Hat/Fedora route. Unfortunately in my brief expereince using Fedora I distinctly felt that I was considered a Red Hat beta tested by the Fedora devs. But it's better than the way Ubuntu was going IMO ... they've been spreading themselves way too thin. I mean, look at Ubuntu Phone. That was a disaster.

Arch_Enemy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Good article re Ubuntu's future

Postby Arch_Enemy » Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 am

Hoser Rob wrote:This is a good read, and they have good things to say about Mint:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/25 ... x_futures/

I agree with the author that Ubuntu wants to go the Red Hat/Fedora route. Unfortunately in my brief expereince using Fedora I distinctly felt that I was considered a Red Hat beta tested by the Fedora devs. But it's better than the way Ubuntu was going IMO ... they've been spreading themselves way too thin. I mean, look at Ubuntu Phone. That was a disaster.

Interesting:

Why choose Mint? Mint experienced a huge surge in popularity back when Ubuntu revealed Unity and GNOME announced GNOME 3. Mint developers didn't make massive changes to their desktops and they show no signs of doing so in the future. If you liked GNOME 2/Windows XP, you'll love Cinnamon and MATE. Those are of course desktops, not distros, but the developers are the same and one big reason for choosing Mint is the developers.

Indeed, one of the reasons I tried Mint in the first place years ago was Cinnamon. I hated tiles way back when they came out with Gnome 3, and used to brick my system trying to get Gnome 2 working. Sometimes I succeeded, and then another old favourite piece of software that had been abandoned would stop working thanks to a lib update. :(

I did have some success with Arch, but the rolling release nature makes it too unstable to use as a work system, so it was back to Mint. Doesn't have all the bling of Arch, but when my manager calls and says, "Can you look at..." I don't have to tell him, "Sure. As soon as I get my OS rebuilt."
$0.02+a grain of salt...

Rocky Bennett
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Rocky Bennett » Sat May 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks for the link. It certainly is food for thought!!!!

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Portreve » Sun May 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Arch_Enemy wrote:Interesting:

Why choose Mint? Mint experienced a huge surge in popularity back when Ubuntu revealed Unity and GNOME announced GNOME 3. Mint developers didn't make massive changes to their desktops and they show no signs of doing so in the future. If you liked GNOME 2/Windows XP, you'll love Cinnamon and MATE. Those are of course desktops, not distros, but the developers are the same and one big reason for choosing Mint is the developers.
[emphasis added]

Obviously, the author here is an idiot who's never seriously used Gnome 1.x or 2.x, or Cinnamon or Mate. KDE is the Windows-like desktop environment for GNU+Linux. Gnome, Cinnamon, et al, are far more reminiscent of Mac OS and Mac OS X than any Windows desktop that's ever existed.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Arch_Enemy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Arch_Enemy » Sun May 28, 2017 1:38 pm

Portreve wrote:

[emphasis added]

Obviously, the author here is an idiot who's never seriously used Gnome 1.x or 2.x, or Cinnamon or Mate. KDE is the Windows-like desktop environment for GNU+Linux. Gnome, Cinnamon, et al, are far more reminiscent of Mac OS and Mac OS X than any Windows desktop that's ever existed.

Usually I agree with you, but the reason I use MATE is because it's so much like Windows 95. '95 and W2000 were the only versions of Windows I really liked (Well, NT, but that looked like '95). Even XP got too bloated, but I put up with it. That's the same reason I don't use KDE...too overblown.
$0.02+a grain of salt...

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Portreve » Mon May 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Arch_Enemy wrote:Usually I agree with you, but the reason I use MATE is because it's so much like Windows 95. '95 and W2000 were the only versions of Windows I really liked (Well, NT, but that looked like '95). Even XP got too bloated, but I put up with it. That's the same reason I don't use KDE...too overblown.

“If he could be turned, he could be a powerful ally.”

“Yes... he would be a great asset. Can it be done?”

“He will switch desktop environments or die, Master.”
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Arch_Enemy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Arch_Enemy » Mon May 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Portreve wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:Usually I agree with you, but the reason I use MATE is because it's so much like Windows 95. '95 and W2000 were the only versions of Windows I really liked (Well, NT, but that looked like '95). Even XP got too bloated, but I put up with it. That's the same reason I don't use KDE...too overblown.

“If he could be turned, he could be a powerful ally.”

“Yes... he would be a great asset. Can it be done?”

“He will switch desktop environments or die, Master.”

LOL! They'll have to REALLY mess up MATE to get me to turn to the Dark Side...:D
$0.02+a grain of salt...

Hoser Rob
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Hoser Rob » Wed May 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Portreve wrote:

Usually I agree with you, but the reason I use MATE is because it's so much like Windows 95. '95 and W2000 were the only versions of Windows I really liked (Well, NT, but that looked like '95). Even XP got too bloated, but I put up with it. That's the same reason I don't use KDE...too overblown.

I'm with him ... the guy who worte that article has more sense than most 'experts' put together

Arch_Enemy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Arch_Enemy » Wed May 31, 2017 10:29 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:
Portreve wrote:

I'm with him ... the guy who worte that article has more sense than most 'experts' put together

Hmmmm.....:

If you're ready to learn more about how Linux works behind the scenes, how the various bits of software fit together and want access to the latest and greatest the minute it's ready, Arch Linux is worth a look. It has a reputation for being difficult to install, but it's really not that hard. It does, however, require you to install via the command line and most things you'll ever want to do to your Arch system will be via a text-based interface.

There was a guy that came up with an ISO you could burn to a CD or USB for a GUI installer that worked quite well. He got his tailfeathers burned off by the Arch admins and users alike..."That is not the Arch way..." I guess you have to suffer if you want to install Arch. It is a chore....you have to boot the installer, configure your ethernet device, turn you ethernet device ON, establish a connection and then figure out what you need to install. Took me 2 attempts, after the guy abandoned the installer project. Alternately you can install Antergos...if their server is working today, or Manjaro. Manjaro has their own repository because they are trying to take the pain out of Arch but offering stable packages only. Of course, you can override that, if you're a glutton for punishment...

I'll stick with Mint for my everyday machine, thanks! :D
$0.02+a grain of salt...

rene
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rene » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:48 am

Chakra Linux, https://chakralinux.org/ is among the more interesting Arch derivatives if you'd sometimes like to play around with/in something somewhat different than Mint; certainly Mint Cinnamon or MATE.

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:34 am

I'm very new to all of this and have to ask, after reading this article, will the KDE option for Mint disappear? I honestly don't have enough experience with other DEs, but years ago, way back when I made my first attempt to use gnulinux, I did try gnome and liked it less than KDE, I know it has changed some since though. Does KDE have a decent future?
I want to learn!

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Postby samriggs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:24 am

wutsinterweb wrote:I'm very new to all of this and have to ask, after reading this article, will the KDE option for Mint disappear? I honestly don't have enough experience with other DEs, but years ago, way back when I made my first attempt to use gnulinux, I did try gnome and liked it less than KDE, I know it has changed some since though. Does KDE have a decent future?

KDE has a really good following so I don't see it going away anytime soon or ever for that matter, I don't use it or like it, but I know it has a really strong following.
Me thinks your safe for long time to come.

There was a guy that came up with an ISO you could burn to a CD or USB for a GUI installer that worked quite well. He got his tailfeathers burned off by the Arch admins and users alike..."That is not the Arch way..." I guess you have to suffer if you want to install Arch. It is a chore....you have to boot the installer, configure your ethernet device, turn you ethernet device ON, establish a connection and then figure out what you need to install. Took me 2 attempts, after the guy abandoned the installer project. Alternately you can install Antergos...if their server is working today, or Manjaro. Manjaro has their own repository because they are trying to take the pain out of Arch but offering stable packages only. Of course, you can override that, if you're a glutton for punishment...

I'll stick with Mint for my everyday machine, thanks! :D

I think the dudes name was jeff if I remember right that came out with that installer for arch, one of the reasons he gave it up was because of the headache to keep it updated if I remember right, plus ya pure arch fellas like to keep it pure, they didn't appreciate it much and there is other distros out there that have installers so no biggy there, if someone doesn't want to install through command, just use one of the other distro's that have the installer and use arch's repos instead, I like manjaro myself, and am a huge fan of arch and mint but I would never recommend pure arch for anyone that doesn't want to dig in and learn or for a stable system unless they know what the heck their doing, I know arch folks that been using it for years with no issues, but again they know what their doing.
I even had my wife on pure ach for about six months and never had issues, she just didn't want to take it to the next level, but she did learn alot while she had it and enjoyed it.
Manjaro has more then stable releases only now, they have stable, testing and unstable versions
I stick with stable for my work station for obvious reasons, but their stable is still way ahead of debian, you folks are still on kernel 4.4 I'm on 4.9 and can go to 4.11 if I want to but 4.9 has a lts so I stay with it until 4.11 goes lts, so stable can still cause breakages if your not careful, like the new network manager borking the odd time, I just downgraded it and stopped all updates for it.

But I still would never recommend arch for any noob or even manjaro unless they know somewhat what their doing, stick with mint, it's safe and good, my whole family uses mint for it's stability.

Thanks for the read Hoser Rob, I think there is a lot of guessing what Canonical is doing right now, one thing for sure, they want to make money one way or another and have tried a few things and failed, so on to the next thing, I just hope they never give up the community, thay have a great base for other distros (like mint), we'll all see what happens when it happens.

I agree although you can make linux look like pretty much anything you want to.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

dcrowder
Level 2
Level 2

Postby dcrowder » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:00 pm

If Ubuntu moves away from desktop (seems unlikely), thank goodness for LMDE!
Acer Aspire R14, Mint 18.2 Beta Cinnamon

Arch_Enemy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Arch_Enemy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Portreve wrote:Obviously, the author here is an idiot who's never seriously used Gnome 1.x or 2.x, or Cinnamon or Mate. KDE is the Windows-like desktop environment for GNU+Linux. Gnome, Cinnamon, et al, are far more reminiscent of Mac OS and Mac OS X than any Windows desktop that's ever existed.

I'm revisiting this because I was fairly well versed in Gnome 2. Gnome 1 was kinda like Windows 1...I never got used to it and stuck with KDE because it was more <COFF COFF> "Windows-like" but on an older machine all that overhead would seriously bog it down. Got on board with Gnome 2 immediately, then when they finally killed it off totally went to early Cinnamon (ugh) and thankfully MATE came along. I LOVE tweaking and get my MATE desktops resembling Win2000 quite a bit (Win2000...IMHO the only really good OS Micro$oft ever released...)

Positively love it. If they ever change it to be more Gnome3ish or Windows 8ish I'll reinstall XP and retire...

Of course, there's always REACTOS. I actually got it to work...once...kinda...
$0.02+a grain of salt...

Spearmint2
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Spearmint2 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:53 pm

W2K was also my favorite windows version.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Chat about Linux”