Whats the details on KDE Neon?

Chat about Linux in general
mark9950
Level 2
Level 2

Whats the details on KDE Neon?

Postby mark9950 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:46 am

I just found an ubuntu release called KDE Neon.Whats that all about?
Last edited by xenopeek on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved here as this is not about Linux Mint

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Whats the details on KDE Neon?

Postby xenopeek » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:29 am

After reading the project's website and perhaps the DistroWatch and Wikipedia pages about it, what do you think? :wink: It's just latest KDE on Ubuntu LTS.

o-l-d
Level 2
Level 2

Postby o-l-d » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:47 am

I have KDE Neon User Edition installed on a test laptop. It is a very minimal Ubuntu based distro that has just a base amount of software installed. It has the latest KDE Plasma DE 5.10.3 and uses the Ubuntu 4.8 HWE kernel. I wouldn't recommend it for new users but for those that like a "semi-rolling" distro with the very latest KDE Plasma desktop and applications with a stable Ubuntu 16.04 base give it a try in virtual machine.
:mrgreen:

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 am

It's semi rolling only in that it gets all the newest updates for the DE. But not for the underlying Ubuntu base ... that's still LTS and doesn't get the newest software.

Sounds interesting to me but IMO the jury's still out.

Ubulindy
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Ubulindy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:10 pm

OK, so Ive been using KDE Neon ever since it came out. I love it. No real issues. Others have not been so lucky. I tend to distro hop. When I find one I like, I stick to it for a while. I have never had any luck with any other distro that was KDE related. For whatever reason, Kbuntu was so buggy from get go, I wiped it 2 days later.
KDE Neon is absolutely not for new users. Not because it isnt user friendly. There is 0, nilch, NO community support what so ever. And as in community support, I mean forum help, or IRC help. I find that very strange, and disheartening. For this reason I have been wondering if it will be around much longer. The forums are poorly maintained. Threads have many views, with very little input from users. No Mods, or Admins rarely if at all make their presence. Same as IRC on Freenode #kde-neon.
If you are an experienced linux user, you'll be fine. If you need real help or need an answer, dont look to anyone for help, You had better get those little fingers typing and search for it yourself or you're screwed. Why use an OS that you can not get support for?
The Mint team here has never been so busy so they cant take time out of their busy schedule to help users. You can converse directly with the Devs even. The Mods and Admins here help tremendously. The community support on the Mint forum is superb, as is their IRC. Clem answers questions directly on the Mint blog and in IRC . Cant get much better than that. The Mint team is top notch.
“When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:10 am

Ubulindy wrote:.... KDE Neon is absolutely not for new users. Not because it isnt user friendly. There is 0, nilch, NO community support what so ever. And as in community support, I mean forum help, or IRC help. I find that very strange, and disheartening. For this reason I have been wondering if it will be around much longer. The forums are poorly maintained. Threads have many views, with very little input from users. No Mods, or Admins rarely if at all make their presence. Same as IRC on Freenode #kde-neon....

I agree 100% that that makes it useless for Linux novices. I always recommend ubuntu or mint to newbies, and it's for the support. You'll need it.

In fact when I used to do more distro hopping on my netbook I learned that the support sites should be checked before trying out a new distro.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:40 am

Hoser Rob wrote:
Ubulindy wrote:.... KDE Neon is absolutely not for new users. Not because it isnt user friendly. There is 0, nilch, NO community support what so ever. And as in community support, I mean forum help, or IRC help. I find that very strange, and disheartening. For this reason I have been wondering if it will be around much longer. The forums are poorly maintained. Threads have many views, with very little input from users. No Mods, or Admins rarely if at all make their presence. Same as IRC on Freenode #kde-neon....

I agree 100% that that makes it useless for Linux novices. I always recommend ubuntu or mint to newbies, and it's for the support. You'll need it.

In fact when I used to do more distro hopping on my netbook I learned that the support sites should be checked before trying out a new distro.

Newbies who want cutting edge KDE (if such a thing exists) are better off with kubuntu latest non LTS release. The kubuntu forums are very helpful.

Return to “Chat about Linux”