Lightweight Linux distros

Chat about Linux in general
mr_raider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Lightweight Linux distros

Postby mr_raider » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 am

D-man wrote:
mr_raider wrote:What's the exact machine specs?

Unfortunately I am far away from that machine. I do not have the specs noted. And nobody else knows. I will be able to check it out not soon. Maybe after weeks.
Thank you for asking!

Do you remember what year it was made it bought? I know amd stuff pretty well.

Flemur
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Flemur » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 am

mr_raider wrote:
Flemur wrote:But the distro itself doesn't make much difference, what matters is the DE or window manager.

On the contrary. The distro is paramount. KDE Mint is "heavy" because it comes preconfigured with all the bells and whistles. .

That's exactly what I said, except for the fact that I consider a "distro" to be, say, Mint vs Suse, not Mint KDE vs Mint Xfce.

"A Linux distribution (often abbreviated as distro) is an operating system made from a software collection, which is based upon the Linux kernel and, often, a package management system. Linux users usually obtain their operating system by downloading one of the Linux distributions, which are available for a wide variety of systems ranging from embedded devices (for example, OpenWrt) and personal computers (for example, Linux Mint) to powerful supercomputers (for example, Rocks Cluster Distribution)."

Note the usage: "Mint" is the "distro".
Mint 18.1 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less - Xubuntu 16.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Postby D-man » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:26 am

mr_raider wrote:Do you remember what year it was made it bought? I know amd stuff pretty well.

I think it was 2004. And its BIOS timer (there is a problem with it) keeps getting reset to 2004.
Actually, without having its specs I cannot be sure of anything particular. But I think I saw that the CPU was one by AMD.

mr_raider
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mr_raider » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:33 pm

D-man wrote:
mr_raider wrote:Do you remember what year it was made it bought? I know amd stuff pretty well.

I think it was 2004. And its BIOS timer (there is a problem with it) keeps getting reset to 2004.
Actually, without having its specs I cannot be sure of anything particular. But I think I saw that the CPU was one by AMD.

MAybe just need to replace the motherboard battery.

2004 AMD released Athlon 64 series which are 64 bit CPUs. The before that the Socket A Athlons were 32 bit only but had PAE. SO you should be able to run 32 bit Linux. Even the weakest versions of MInt XFCE may choke on 256MB of RAM. Maybe Lubuntu will run. Lubuntu has an alternate text mode installer. That would be my starting point.

You can forget about running chrome or firefox on that system. AT best you can use it to store files, and do simple text file manipulations.

Nili
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Nili » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Anyone with low end system parameters must give a try BunsenLabs once.

Other lightweight distro
debian (netinst) / devuan (netinst) / archlabs / antix/mx / linuxbbq or alpine

Chances to choose many good and light distro nowdays are full.
- A violet in the youth of primy nature forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting. The perfume and suppliance of a minute, No more... - Audiophile [24bit/96kHz], FLAC, DeaDBeeF. - Herbstluftwm Fist! - Root heritage #!

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Postby D-man » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 pm

mr_raider wrote:MAybe just need to replace the motherboard battery.

2004 AMD released Athlon 64 series which are 64 bit CPUs. The before that the Socket A Athlons were 32 bit only but had PAE. SO you should be able to run 32 bit Linux. Even the weakest versions of MInt XFCE may choke on 256MB of RAM. Maybe Lubuntu will run. Lubuntu has an alternate text mode installer. That would be my starting point.

You can forget about running chrome or firefox on that system. AT best you can use it to store files, and do simple text file manipulations.

Thank you, "mr_raider"!

As far as I remember, trying to install Linux Mint there more than a year ago, it seemed to be 32-bit. Maybe the CPU is actually older. Was just sold in 2004. I also remember that inxi output showed that the CPU lacked many flags. I managed to get Linux Mint 17.3 boot from Live media but its installation either hanged or the system would not boot then. I didn't try 17.1 (it could be better to try, it has another kernel). Then I tried Linux Mint 13. And its installation was successful. It was possible even to use Firefox and watch YouTube videos then. It was very slow, but it was possible. I thought about Lubuntu, but then I supposed it's based either on Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04. And remembering that Mint 17.3 failed on that machine, I supposed it would be the same with either generation of Lubuntu.
Thank you so much for your kind suggestions! Once I am there, I will try something (Lubuntu, Antix, something else maybe). :)

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Postby D-man » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:52 pm

Nili,
Thanks for your suggestions, too!

And I am sorry if my posts sounded like "hi-jacking" the thread. Perhaps, I should have created a separate one. :)

mr_raider
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mr_raider » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 am

I just installed lubuntu 16.04 in a virtual machine using the text mode installer (alternate CD). It idles at around 190MB of RAM.

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Postby D-man » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:24 am

mr_raider wrote:I just installed lubuntu 16.04 in a virtual machine using the text mode installer (alternate CD). It idles at around 190MB of RAM.

Thanks! That is very low RAM consumption. Less than Linux Mint 13 Xfce run on that computer previously. I suspect it could even have 512 MB RAM. Need to check. Sorry to be so uncertain about the specs. I am not its owner...

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Postby D-man » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:28 am

mr_raider,

I was able to be in front of that old machine yesterday and tried installing Mint 17.1 Xfce with its default kernel from 3.13 series. I noticed that this machine's RAM was actually 512 MB. Better than 256 MB.

Finally, the installation failed. To be exact, MintInstall closed itself some time while copying files. I remembered the same had happened before. And I was only able to install Mint 13. I didn't try to run MintInstall through terminal. Maybe it would give some clear output.

Other specs are as follows:

Do you really think Lubuntu 16.04 could work? I think even 14.04 could fail, as long as Mint 17.1 did.

On the other hand, this old machine is not a big deal. No matter if they stop using it now or a year later.

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Postby D-man » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:55 am

Hereby I am updating the situation.
I remembered about LMDE. I supposed Debian's kernels might support more hardware.
And I was able to install Betsy MATE. Going to configure it and see how it will be.

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Postby D-man » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:48 am

Hereby I am updating the situation. Neither Firefox nor Chromium will start, since their latest versions require CPUs with at least SSE2. This machine's AMD Athlon XP has only SSE. So it cannot be used for internet-browsing nowadays.

mr_raider
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mr_raider » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm

D-man wrote:Hereby I am updating the situation. Neither Firefox nor Chromium will start, since their latest versions require CPUs with at least SSE2. This machine's AMD Athlon XP has only SSE. So it cannot be used for internet-browsing nowadays.

Try a browser called midori. It's in the repos. Otherwise look for a linux port of lynx :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”