Opinion: What is the biggest single hurdle keeping Linux becoming more "mainstream"?

Chat about Linux in general
jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Opinion: What is the biggest single hurdle keeping Linux becoming more "mainstream"?

Postby jimallyn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:the video is dead.

You can find all 6 episodes here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... L5OUuYHYl0

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Spearmint2
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Opinion: What is the biggest single hurdle keeping Linux becoming more "mainstream"?

Postby Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:28 pm

All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

gamerperson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gamerperson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:56 am

richyrich wrote:I do NOT want Linux to become more mainstream !
Then the money hungry leeches sneak in from the sewers ! :evil:

I agree. I think it's pretty good as it is.
Look, it's a peppermint!

rick gen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rick gen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:21 am

If it becomes mainstream, it won't be Linux as it is now anymore.

vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Postby vladtepes » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:16 am

What is the biggest single hurdle keeping Linux becoming more "mainstream"?

INERTIA

Many businesses owners/managers believe:
- it's too hard to change over to Linux
- if it's free (Linux) it must be rubbish. (conversely Windows is expensive, so it must be good)
- if they use Linux they won't be able to deal with clients who run Windows systems.
- they need to justify to themselves the huge investment they have made in MS products to date.
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies

revian
Level 3
Level 3

Postby revian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:48 am

I think the biggest hurdle is the thought that "if this doesn't work, I can always go back to Windows". If a person has a fallback option, that option will most likely be chosen during periods of frustration.

I switched over from Windows 98 SE to debian GNU/Linux back in 2001. At that time I was fed up with Windows to the point of learning how to work with Linux or getting rid of my computer altogether - going back to Windows was not an option. And, you know what? It worked.. I haven't touched a Microsoft product since 2001. When I buy a new computer, the first thing I do is wipe the hard drive and install a Linux distro.

When a user has only one option, making Linux work, then the user will find a way to make Linux work. Otherwise the fallback option will become much more attractive as the user is faced with one hurdle after another and begins finding excuses to avoid the hurdles.

Change occurs when the pain of doing nothing exceeds the pain of change.
Operating within normal parameters
Check out my new desktop themes

Arch_Enemy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Arch_Enemy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:09 pm

revian wrote:I think the biggest hurdle is the thought that "if this doesn't work, I can always go back to Windows". If a person has a fallback option, that option will most likely be chosen during periods of frustration.

I switched over from Windows 98 SE to debian GNU/Linux back in 2001. At that time I was fed up with Windows to the point of learning how to work with Linux or getting rid of my computer altogether - going back to Windows was not an option. And, you know what? It worked.. I haven't touched a Microsoft product since 2001. When I buy a new computer, the first thing I do is wipe the hard drive and install a Linux distro.

When a user has only one option, making Linux work, then the user will find a way to make Linux work. Otherwise the fallback option will become much more attractive as the user is faced with one hurdle after another and begins finding excuses to avoid the hurdles.

Change occurs when the pain of doing nothing exceeds the pain of change.

I really like Windows 2000. Then they kept adding "Features" to it...
$0.02+a grain of salt...

NessM
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NessM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:25 pm

revian wrote:I think the biggest hurdle is the thought that "if this doesn't work, I can always go back to Windows". If a person has a fallback option, that option will most likely be chosen during periods of frustration.

Not everyone operates the way you've described. Some might like the challenge of trying something new, just for the sake of it.
revian wrote:I switched over from Windows 98 SE to debian GNU/Linux back in 2001. At that time I was fed up with Windows to the point of learning how to work with Linux or getting rid of my computer altogether - going back to Windows was not an option.

Sounds like me, if you substitute Debian for Slackware.
To get rid of my computer was and will be never an option.
Same goes for windows : it's still pretty much everywhere, and I like to support everyone, so I must support whatever system they use. Some have told me I'm dancing with the devil, but I'm dancing with the angels too, I see no difference : people do need help, and some don't like Linux.

revian wrote:When I buy a new computer, the first thing I do is wipe the hard drive and install a Linux distro.

When I get my second hand computers, the first thing I do is to clean the fans, the keyboard and make sure the hardware is okay. Then, if I can afford it, I keep the harddrive sans its windows somewhere, so I can use it in case I need it. Or I might sell it right away.

I think Linux has become quite mainstream already. You've got Red Hat, you've got Ubuntu, and you've got us and all the other communities. If 'mainstream' means 'Linux becoming the next windows', that might never happen, and I think that's perfectly fine, it's the users choice.
They might as well migrate to Plan9 or something... On that case I'll learn Plan9.
Code. Find bugs and report them. Support Developers by donations. Provide feedback. Make suggestions. Support other users. Keep in mind support is provided you for free. Take a shower regularly.

Return to “Chat about Linux”