Shocking...really.

Chat about Linux in general
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Shocking...really.

Postby excollier » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 am

Jim Zemlin, head of the Linux foundation uses a MAC to present keynote....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f8FPnAsIJ4
Registered Linux user #557695
Mint 17.3 XFCE &Debian 9.1 XFCE dual boot (desktop), Raspbian Jessie (Raspberry Pi)
Windows 10 VM (I know) so I can work from home.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Shocking...really.

Postby xenopeek » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 am

The hypocrisy of linking to that channel for this topic. Gold. Pure gold.

stanley82
Level 2
Level 2

Postby stanley82 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:31 am

Well yes, if you go to the link, yes, example Top Ford Exec shows up for the launch of next years models driving a Toyota that really is news. On the other hand top UK government officials turned up at the new car show in Germany driving Mercedes and made a press event in the UK. But really they are the best in cars and a Mac is tops in computers and in both cases they cost lots of $$. What can you do? Ian

dcrowder
Level 3
Level 3

Postby dcrowder » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:07 am

stanley82 wrote:...Mac is tops in computers...

I used to think so, at least hardware wise. But from what I hear recently, Mac is not top of the line hardware. Apple's main advantage is that they control both hardware and software. That allows them to squeeze more performance from hardware.
Acer Aspire R14, Mint 18.2 MATE

MintBean
Level 7
Level 7

Postby MintBean » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:35 am

The Linux foundation are primarily interested in enterprise and cloud. After reading an interview with the president (or was it vice?) of the the foundation I came away with the distinct impression that they were at worst 'anti' Linux on the desktop and at best they wouldn't do anything to promote or facilitate it.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:15 am

Some people make up ideas about what the Linux Foundation does, or should do, without bothering to visit its website to find out what it actually does :) I mean, just take a glance at https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/ and https://www.linuxfoundation.org/projects/ and you see desktop is not something they work on. That doesn't mean desktop doesn't benefit from the work done. Like the Core Infrastructure Initiative and Let's Encrypt projects that make the web a more secure place for everybody.

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Portreve » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:16 pm

I think it's in very poor taste, but I seriously doubt they give a darn.

Given the seemingly blinders-wearing mentality that pervades the GNU+Linux community, I doubt there will be any push-back on this issue, but for a moment, imagine if there were. How do you think the folks in the Linux Foundation would respond?
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Return to “Chat about Linux”