What Standard Tweaks and apps do you always add to a fresh OS install?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What Standard Tweaks and apps do you always add to a fresh OS install?

Post by HaveaMint »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:08 pm
In the pic you posted there click the hamburger to the right of the search bar.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

HaveaMint wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:46 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:08 pm
In the pic you posted there click the hamburger to the right of the search bar.
I have never, ever, heard of the 3 bar menu being called anything but a menu....
hamburger? how ridiculous.
that is just a standard Android like menu, but it seems I never used it.
I notice it does not show stuff installed via a PPA
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:31 pm I have never, ever, heard of the 3 bar menu being called anything but a menu....
hamburger? how ridiculous.
that is just a standard Android like menu, but it seems I never used it.
I notice it does not show stuff installed via a PPA
LOL, not as ridiculous as it's original nickname. It was called the 'Air vent' by it's inventors at Xerox in the 70's.
You are not alone in not using it - UI researchers frequently find that significant proportions of website and app users have no idea it's a menu.

In Software Manager the installed apps page only shows stuff installed via the Software Manager interface. That includes PPA, but only if you add the PPA, and then open the Software Manager to actually install the package(s) from the PPA. Anything installed via Synaptic, Commandline or Gdebi won't show. The same list is used by the native backup tool.

Pretty useless IMHO although I guess the devs could argue correctly that a significant proportion of Mint Users never go past the Software Manager and thus it is a useful feature for that subset of users.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

It was beneficial to me to alert me to 3 apps that I had installed to try out, then forgot what they were.

went and opened them up again to verify that I don't need/want them...
click and they are gone now.

I have watch Aptik while it compiles that list of installed apps, it is huge................

I once did a highlight/copy/paste to LibreOffice of what all Aptik does....
that is very revealing, if you have the time to trawl thru it all.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I haven't heard of a menu referenced as hamburger until on this forum. This is why I said it because I thought it the norm.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_button
The hamburger, sandwich, hotdog, pancake, tribar (or triple bar) double oreo or options button is a button placed typically in a top corner of a graphical user interface.[1] It takes the form of an icon that consists of three parallel horizontal lines (displayed as ), suggestive of a list,[2]. The names refer to its resemblance to the layers in a hamburger, a pile of pancakes, or three hotdogs.[3]
In other words, as long as you name it after food stuffs anything goes. :lol:
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

gm10 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:57 pm........
Also I just checked, my post-install script will currently purge 332 packages........
...365 packages here, under 18.x (that is without also counting the klingon fonts...).
Put the fat cat on a diet...no daily lasagna for Garfield ;-)

...and of course a scintilla-based editor is an absolute requirement / replacement for...well, you know... :)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

thx-1138 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:38 am ...and of course a scintilla-based editor is an absolute requirement / replacement for...well, you know... :)
:lol: !!

The only other one I'm using is Visual Studio Code actually.
Faust

Post by Faust »

I've known for a long while that it's a kind of generic menu icon, and there's one right here in Waterfox ,
but it's only recently that I heard a friend's kids saying " Click on the Hamburger " .
I thought they were ordering take-away .... :lol:
smurphos wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:49 am ......
I guess the devs could argue correctly that a significant proportion of Mint Users never go past the Software Manager and thus it is a useful feature for that subset of users.
I tend to agree with that reasoning , and the standard advice here and elsewhere is to only install from Software Manager .
Clearly that does not apply so much to " computer buffs " for want of better term ( and I dislike the phrase " power user " ) .

The " average user " just wants a system that works all of the time and gets things done , without fuss ,
and if they are M$ refugees and they arrive here , so much the better !
It's exactly that type of user that may shift things away from the M$ domination , and hopefully by the millions .

BTW - that's a good summary of what shows-up in the list and what doesn't :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Faust wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:57 am I tend to agree with that reasoning , and the standard advice here and elsewhere is to only install from Software Manager .
Clearly that does not apply so much to " computer buffs " for want of better term ( and I dislike the phrase " power user " ) .

The " average user " just wants a system that works all of the time and gets things done , without fuss ,
and if they are M$ refugees and they arrive here , so much the better !
It's exactly that type of user that may shift things away from the M$ domination , and hopefully by the millions .
I've been using M$ since DOS 3.0 because my employer insisted that we had to have Windows at home to access their networks..... argh! but I retired Jan 1st 2011, and that don't hold anymore.

And, in the early days, if you did not delve deeply into Unix, you were lost.
I hated the requirement that your brain must be infallible for remembering arcane command line steps....
I can't, and never have been able too....
It did not help that in 2008 I suffered a severe brain injury due to a traffic accident, that wiped out my short term memory.
I am relegated to keeping extensive notes in a searchable database.

my big Desktop is still Win7 and will remain that way until I die....
all of my laptops have some version of Mint on them, I currently have 5 versions of Linux installed to play with....

but, when I decided 2 years ago, that I was done with Windows, I searched all of the distros, and Mint Cinnamon was the one that broke the ice.... all of the keyboard commands that I had been using for decades worked exactly like they do in Windows....

So, Yes, Mint Cinnamon is pulling folks from the M$ camp in droves....
I have found that after 2 years of working with Mint, and learning the Terminal, that I am now experimenting with other Mint DEs.... and they are not as bad as when I first saw them 2 years ago.... strange still, but not entirely bad.

Return to “Chat about Linux”