Google Stadia (a new game-streaming service) on Linux/Vulkan

Chat about Linux in general
rene
Level 12
Level 12

Google Stadia (a new game-streaming service) on Linux/Vulkan

Post by rene » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 pm

Don't believe I've seen this here yet; could in fact be significant news for once. Google's new "Stadia" game-streaming service will run on Linux and use the Vulkan 3D API. Even if you're not a believer in game streaming as such, certainly this means that quite a number of the biggest titles will be made to run on Linux / use Vulkan. And that in fact seems interesting...

https://fossbytes.com/google-stadia-lin ... en-source/

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Google Stadia (a new game-streaming service) on Linux/Vulkan

Post by jimallyn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm not a gamer, but for those who are, and for Linux in general, this sounds like a good thing!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:02 pm

jimallyn wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 pm
I'm not a gamer, but [ ... ]
Nor me certainly but newest games are the highest-demand use-case for home users. Huge numbers and types of supported input peripherals, lowest latency, best GPU drivers, ...

Add in Steam's Proton and perhaps there's some glimmer of an interesting coming couple of years.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 am

rene wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 pm
Google's new "Stadia" game-streaming service will run on Linux and use the Vulkan 3D API.
Is Google's new cloud gaming service scalable? Yes but it may not be affordable, warns edge-computing CEO
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/1 ... olystream/
To make Stadia work, Google may need to limit the number of customers to a few million, in order to not choke the world's Internet bandwidth since to stream a game video in 4k to a player via Chrome requires at least 50Mbps.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:25 pm

I'm afraid I no longer follow "The Register" links. It's become nothing but a repository of IT soap opera clickbait.

Return to “Chat about Linux”