Personal thoughts

Chat about Linux in general
pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Personal thoughts

Post by pascal111 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Arabic computers book are good stuff for Arabic computer learners, it's not because nationalism, it's because good using of Arabic makes topics have sense and clear, it's an art. So, don't expect Arabic learners will focus on English, most of 'em seek Arabic resources in computer topics, if the resources are poor, their knowledge will be poor too.

In my opinion, Linux will be good for good educated in middle east, dealing with commands and new terms. For mentioning this logic, it made me to remember something like in programming, at period before Windows or generally the GUI OSs, few people learn programming, with BASIC more people learn but they can't do things advanced languages can do like C, with VB6 many many programmers born in world, after VB6 the number I guess came low or programming become again for so good educated, the limitations backed. It's just a feeling.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:49 pm

I think too one of reasons of preferring good Arabic computers books for many Arabs returns too the nature of Arabic classic thinking or a kind of it, this kind is using a section of mind differ of the Roman section of mind, you get that from Arabic ways in battles, the caring in the hundreds, I think hundred warriors is a special number in Arabic ways, but Romans are using more than that and various ways in fighting, in simple words, look to the war and fighting managements of ancient Arabs, this provides particular ways of thinking, it's a vision, and I think it's good for games, I wished I can program huge games :D

rene
Level 10
Level 10

Post by rene » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:32 pm

Given that much of this is about (basic) programming and programming languages I'm surprised no one has up to now mentioned Python to you. Python is a very wide-reaching language, suitable for most anything from shell-script type of applications ("batch files") to complete GUI applications; most of the Mint-specific tools such as Update Manager are in fact written in Python. Supports programming paradigms from plain old procedural through object orientation to even a little functional programming, is yet still clean enough to be suitable for a beginner, especially with some guidance so as to not use too many possibilities and/or mix paradigms too quickly.

Also ties in with a second comment I have: the Raspberry Pi would be sort of the modern equivalent of home computers in the sense in which you use them, as being geared towards learning them rather than just using. See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi. It (normally) runs a Debian based Linux OS (i.e., as Linux Mint is) and also focusses on Python or, for young children, visual programming with Scratch. Almost certain there'll be some useful Arabic resources available for them as well.

If you'd like to go even further down the rabbit hole microcontroller programming may be your thing. Usually geared towards industrial automation, various modern ones use Python (and most still a proprietary, sometimes BASIC-like language) but easily allow for direct assembly language programming as well.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:51 am

rene wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:32 pm
Given that much of this is about (basic) programming and programming languages I'm surprised no one has up to now mentioned Python to you. Python is a very wide-reaching language, suitable for most anything from shell-script type of applications ("batch files") to complete GUI applications; most of the Mint-specific tools such as Update Manager are in fact written in Python. Supports programming paradigms from plain old procedural through object orientation to even a little functional programming, is yet still clean enough to be suitable for a beginner, especially with some guidance so as to not use too many possibilities and/or mix paradigms too quickly.
If I tried to learn and read about Python, maybe visions in my sleeping coming to me, so by visions and my experiencing it I can provide you something about it, but I can't tell you anything about language I've no idea about it except it's like a more modern form with Raspberry - if it's using it as I understood from its videos - for home computers with BASIC.
Also ties in with a second comment I have: the Raspberry Pi would be sort of the modern equivalent of home computers in the sense in which you use them, as being geared towards learning them rather than just using. See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi. It (normally) runs a Debian based Linux OS (i.e., as Linux Mint is) and also focusses on Python or, for young children, visual programming with Scratch. Almost certain there'll be some useful Arabic resources available for them as well.

If you'd like to go even further down the rabbit hole microcontroller programming may be your thing. Usually geared towards industrial automation, various modern ones use Python (and most still a proprietary, sometimes BASIC-like language) but easily allow for direct assembly language programming as well.
I tried to watch some videos about it and read some pages, I think maybe it's not unique in the normal activities we're doing with PC's, because we'll ask about the deference, I think they're using this so mini computers in kind of electronic projects, this's the new activity, you can include these chips into things, I'm not good in electronics yet, but I think the unique part of this chips is its applications and projects, not traditional computer activities like playing videos, games, navigating internet ... etc, this's a field of creativity that teach people new skills over what already knows.

rene
Level 10
Level 10

Post by rene » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:23 pm

pascal111 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:51 am
If I tried to learn and read about Python, maybe visions in my sleeping coming to me, so by visions and my experiencing it I can provide you something about it, but I can't tell you anything about language I've no idea about it except it's like a more modern form with Raspberry - if it's using it as I understood from its videos - for home computers with BASIC.
Yeah, as to those visions... you seemed to in the above be aware, even if just enough, that those are what others call "dreams" but if you are now going to be waiting around for information to come to you through them even if only complementary to "your experience", I would feel lightly compelled to point out that reading a book is generally much more effective.

As to Python, it's really basically everywhere, and also for example in the scientific world. Python has for example all but replaced something like MATLAB. It's a very serious language and --- although I'd have to admit I do not myself always consider it very "exciting" in and of itself --- would be the only one I'd at this point in time point a newling at. Turbo Pascal.... nah, don't do that any more....

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 pm

rene wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:23 pm
pascal111 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:51 am
Yeah, as to those visions... you seemed to in the above be aware, even if just enough, that those are what others call "dreams" but if you are now going to be waiting around for information to come to you through them even if only complementary to "your experience" I would feel lightly compelled to point out that reading a book is generally much more effective.
Dream is a general class of anything you see in your sleeping, but vision refers to particular scenes that have meaning or information, it's a subclass of dreams, person who makes his life to be dealt by visions on his mind is out away than reality.

For reading books, I'm reading books and living in reality, for Python, I'm sorry I've no money to buy valuable books on it and I'm not interesting to gain money. For your mentioning visions, we seek values and spirituality from such things, and if our learning is out of value, the learning itself will be useless, many things in our life are just visions, they're not visions in sleeping, but there's visions in awaking up mode. Programming world and magic worlds of games are just visions of minds, visions that become to reality of computers.

Before we decide to learn and pick a book, we need to think how to have a valuable knowledge, there're many modern things around us in this world, but many of 'em or their uses lack the value, nothing is important in a think has no value, people are not machines.

rene
Level 10
Level 10

Post by rene » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:58 pm

pascal111 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 pm
Dream is a general class of anything you see in your sleeping, but vision refers to particular scenes that have meaning or information, it's a subclass of dreams [ ... ]
Sure, I can live with that definition of the word "vision" much as I could with any definition, but would again point out their information-density compared to most any other source of information to be superbly low. As a product of one's own mind it is after all a logical necessity dreams can, at best, bring to surface or reorder prior "subconsciously obtained" information --- and generally do a lot less.

Given your use of the word "spirituality" (<spit>) we probably won't see eye to eye on that; if you're interested in studying Python, there's a fair number of free resources available. I can't specifically recommend any but for example https://www.learnpython.org/ looks possibly fair.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:23 pm

rene wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:58 pm
pascal111 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 pm
Dream is a general class of anything you see in your sleeping, but vision refers to particular scenes that have meaning or information, it's a subclass of dreams [ ... ]
Sure, I can live with that definition of the word "vision" much as I could with any definition, but would again point out their information-density compared to most any other source of information to be superbly low. As a product of one's own mind it is after all a logical necessity dreams can, at best, bring to surface or reorder prior "subconsciously obtained" information --- and generally do a lot less.

Given your use of the word "spirituality" (<spit>) we probably won't see eye to eye on that; if you're interested in studying Python, there's a fair number of free resources available. I can't specifically recommend any but for example https://www.learnpython.org/ looks possibly fair.
Separate between Python point and visions, visions are related of this kind of writing, remember too the title of the thread "Personal Thoughts", they're thoughts about Linux particularly and it catches connections with another topics like comparing with Windows or DOS, this kind of writing is like your personal philosophy about a topic, it's not academic or scientific, we can't too classify visions as subconsciously obtained information, they're mentioned stuff in beauty writing and readers decide in the end what they like and what they dislike. When you say "subconsciously obtained information" it sounds so close to a kind of materialism that refuses any form of the spirituality concept. Don't take it so serious, this's just kind of writing.

For the point of Python, to improve well programming skills, we need more than one source, and as I mentioned before that I've read in a Linux book that a powerful Linux distro has no value if it lack so good supporting and documentations. Only, advanced programmer, who's really gained the programming skills can learn another language without much supporting sources, for beginners like me, we lack more sources, back again to the value point in learning, few sources can make our learning so poor and invaluable, it'll be useless.

rene
Level 10
Level 10

Post by rene » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:52 pm

pascal111 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:23 pm
When you say "subconsciously obtained information" it sounds so close to a kind of materialism that refuses any form of the spirituality concept.
Thank you, as that was of course exactly what was intended, even if only as counterweight to uncritical elevation of an undefined personal concept to one of defined objective value. Hey, you're the one picking Blaise Pascal as avatar; better be prepared to be explicit about your assumptions and definitions :-)

I'll otherwise leave things at that it seems. Just felt that Python should be mentioned in this thread.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:19 pm

rene wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:52 pm
pascal111 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:23 pm
When you say "subconsciously obtained information" it sounds so close to a kind of materialism that refuses any form of the spirituality concept.
Thank you, as that was of course exactly what was intended, even if only as counterweight to uncritical elevation of an undefined personal concept to one of defined objective value. Hey, you're the one picking Blaise Pascal as avatar; better be prepared to be explicit about your assumptions and definitions :-)

I'll otherwise leave things at that it seems. Just felt that Python should be mentioned in this thread.
Materialism is just a concept and philosophy for looking to things and world, we don't say it's right or wrong, it's a philosophy you like or dislike, person who likes a philosophy may decide to work depending on it or living it, it's his decision, so we can't say to make high kind of writing it must be according to this philosophy or that, it's depending on the writer choice, and reader decide what he likes or dislikes. Also, personal concepts or thoughts, we can't say what's pure right or pure wrong, it's a free world, if you said no you'll be a tyrant and against liberalism.

I remembered once an anger Christian said that many wonderful things in life and modern technologies are made by Christians, Christian people believe in spiritual concepts, we can't judge works that they are suitable or not because spirituality they have or not.

For my avatar, don't guess that I'm Pascal himself come after death in a new life in the modern current era, don't look to the images, the flat images that has no value, look deeply, in the value and meanings, I think that you like flat images of meanings, you don't like deep things :mrgreen:

I think any programming language is beautiful because it has programming, we hope and wishes but you know not all what we wish, we can perform, Eisenhower said in a quote that people dreams in good wine and caviar in the time they should eat and drink hot dogs and bear, in my case I didn't say that I don't like Python, but I don't have enough support for it, I didn't say too that I won't learn it except first I see a vision about it, with this way I'm away than the reality.

rene
Level 10
Level 10

Post by rene » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:35 pm

pascal111 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:19 pm
I think that you like flat images of meanings, you don't like deep things :mrgreen:
I'd deeply disagree with that. It's only that I have noticed many only pretend something is deep by rejecting anything other than the type of nebulous conceptionalism in which anything and everything the concept holder cares for is true and/or deep --- and nothing else. While for example materialism may be just a concept, subjectivism certainly also is in that case.

Good luck with (the study of) programming...

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:48 pm

rene wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:35 pm
pascal111 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:19 pm
I think that you like flat images of meanings, you don't like deep things :mrgreen:
I'd deeply disagree with that. It's only that I have noticed many only pretend something is deep by rejecting anything other than the type of nebulous conceptionalism in which anything and everything the concept holder cares for is true and/or deep --- and nothing else. While for example materialism may be just a concept, subjectivism certainly also is in that case.

Good luck with (the study of) programming...
I tried the objectivity in my writing although it's personal thoughts, but Personality here for avoiding forcing reader to accept ideas, we (literate using of I) intended to make enjoyable writing and were encouraging reader to use his mind and imagination. Subjectivism isn't wrong in all cases, there are the characters that change the history, we can use the subjectivity of such characters because they're the sons of their period and what they're doing, it would change world around 'em.

Thank you for this enjoyable conversation, nice to meet you.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:37 am

I think after working with Linux and getting familiar with, the user will look for more advanced points, and I claim that it'll be the work with Terminal, but for my experience, I think that this point is some different if it's compared with working under Windows, I think with since Windows start, the normal number of users increased by the using of GUI, the command line curve came down, and those normal users I assumed are who didn't specialized in computer field.

This's not real accurate data representation, but this's close to what I think about how command line activity came low since Windows coming and normal users numbers increasing:

The pie shows normal users as one group that through the time of command line coming down, the number of users comes up.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:59 am

I should use bar graph instead of the pie, pie isn't for this statistic, anyway I'm a beginner :D

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:17 am

I thin this one is better for my assumption:

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 pm

I was reading today about "mode" in statistics section of Basic math and pre-Algebra for dummies book and it's my turn to make a feedback for that I found another new point in OSs and I like to use this new thinking way in it. The available software that do tasks users need, if we looked in Windows we'll notice the variety of computer programs users can use under Windows to perform their desirable tasks, for the good luck I found some same software in Linux, for example OBS and Audacity, for those care in retro computing stuff they can found ones too like DOSBox, emulators ...etc so, if one OS serves users desirable needs with its software, the mode of computer users will be that usage of that OS, not to make one OS to be the mode of computer users, other OSs like Linux need to serve the same needs or close too with another special points in OS itself to gain more users. We mean particulary the normal computer users class, if we talked about the advanced qualified users, they care much in more advanced points in the OS, so for example they don't care if the OS is line command type or has GUI.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:58 pm

To be more accurate with "mode" concept, not to make the mode of normal users for a particular OS reach to 50%, if the mode is 50% of particular OS, so it will be like if there are two groups, that OS and others group, me only and they.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:17 am

I think now it's the time of a pie :D

We've two examples here, in both Windows is the mode for normal users but pie on the left provide bad case, it's good for Microsoft but so bad for other OS, the mode is more than 50% and although that it gives the feeling that Windows is the only OS in the world!!

In the right the pie is in more balance, but it's not good for FreeBSD, these are just examples.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:17 am

I think graphs are good idea, science is useful in writing in modern age. Let's make a flashback about VB6, I assume something like this, it's not accurate of course.

And it would be the time to destroy VB6, VB6 became like a Pacman, it's the mode with more 50% for normal programmers class. I don't know which rules is used to terminate VB6, the rule of "Not to make the mode reach 50% or over in a sample of more than two types of data", or "treating VB6 as a sin when it reach 50%, it deserves destroying at this ratio"?!

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:54 am

I was reading about the socialism definition in pocket Oxford English dictionary, and socialism as an ideology, not as political nor economic theory, looks to make the essential stuff under the control or possession of the community, from this way of thinking I found that OS is so necessary for computers, the idea of making good OS that's available for normal users is a necessary, so companies can make OSs that you've to pay to have it and they can include 'em more special attributes, but normal users like students and those seek OS for home use will meet a difficulty in that specially when OS price is some high. Making many good Linux distros available for everyone or normal users is good socialistic form, distros makers can gain money too, for example, some particular kind of supporting or modifying, they can make another editions with more extra attributes with good prices ... etc We don't refuse the idea of makers to gain some benefits but I focused on the idea of making an essential part of computers like OS to be available for the normal users. Linux mint is some extreme in this ideology, because as I understood you can use it free too in computers of business or a project.

Return to “Chat about Linux”