Confession: I bought a MacBook Pro 2019. I just returned it.

Chat about Linux in general
bradmoriz
Level 1
Level 1

Confession: I bought a MacBook Pro 2019. I just returned it.

Post by bradmoriz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 am

I am using GNU/Linux based systems for a few years now and for the past 5 years as my daily driver (Fedora). I use a TinkPad. I love free software. I do a fair amount of programming. So why did I buy a MacBook?

I am frustrated about Linux compatible hardware offerings (especially newer ThinkPad X1 Carbon, keyboard gets worse, screen is the same not-very-bright one for years. The better panel costs quite a lot! Sleep issues...)

Sadly I still depend on dual booting Windows for two pieces of software for now. Office for weird custom Word forms I often need to edit. A VST software for my keyboard.

I like Swift.
Buying a MacBook seemed to me like a remedy. It is not.

deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Confession: I bought a MacBook Pro 2019. I just returned it.

Post by deanr72 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 am

bradmoriz wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 am
Office for weird custom Word forms I often need to edit.
Have you tried WPS or FreeOffice? I use the former when LibreOffice let's me down with complex docx. formatting.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:24 am

bradmoriz wrote:
I am using GNU/Linux based systems for a few years now and for the past 5 years as my daily driver (Fedora). I use a TinkPad. I love free software. I do a fair amount of programming. So why did I buy a MacBook?

I am frustrated about Linux compatible hardware offerings (especially newer ThinkPad X1 Carbon, keyboard gets worse, screen is the same not-very-bright one for years. The better panel costs quite a lot! Sleep issues...)

Sadly I still depend on dual booting Windows for two pieces of software for now. Office for weird custom Word forms I often need to edit. A VST software for my keyboard.

I like Swift.
Buying a MacBook seemed to me like a remedy. It is not.
Just curious, what caused you the most pain on the MacBook (keyboard, heat, brain dead O/S, lack of connectors etc.)? Never had a new Mac PC and loaded Mint ASAP on the used one that I got, so my experience is on older hardware or trying to figure out what is broken on OSX and most likely not a valid assessment.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:58 am

From what I can see, new MacBook Pros are pretty nerfed, hardware-wise. Their screens and touch pads are nice, but Apple has stripped of so much that is pretty crazy.

For the money, you'd be better off with either a Purism or a System76 unit. Crossover by Codeweavers should let you run me versions of M$ Orifice without a problem.

Fortunately for me, LibreOffice works perfectly. If a company needed me to use Windows and/or Office (et al) they would need to supply me with a company computer (which by all rights they should be doing anyway if they expect me to do company work!) because I'm not running any of that crap on my hardware, tyvm.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:56 am

I just had the misfortune to have to plug wife's iPad into my Linux machine to transfer a spreadsheet onto it. It only took three attempts to find something that the bl**dy thing could understand. 1st attempt - Open office ODF format - thing thought it was a ZIP file but wouldn't even attempt to open it. 2nd attempt - export as PDF - Apple don't seem to know what that format is. 3rd attempt - I saved it as XLSX file - FINALLY a format that Apple understands - bl**dy Mickeysoft!!!!!

Do I like bits of fruit? Silly question......... :lol:
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:55 am

bradmoriz wrote:
Go do five Hail RMSs and five Our Kernel Dev Teams, and think about what you've done.

In the name of the GPL, the Free Software Foundation, and the Four Essential Freedoms, I forgive you. Amen.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:28 am

Portreve wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:55 am
bradmoriz wrote:
Go do five Hail RMSs and five Our Kernel Dev Teams, and think about what you've done.

In the name of the GPL, the Free Software Foundation, and the Four Essential Freedoms, I forgive you. Amen.
:lol: Love it! :lol:
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Saint IGNUcius
Church of emacs

Return to “Chat about Linux”