Chat about Linux in general
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: First impressions of Ubuntu Touch

Post by Moem »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:56 pm
Unfortunately I have to report that my attempts to install Ubuntu Touch on a Oneplus One phone have been an abject failure
Looks like it wasn't you. Have you seen this?
https://forums.ubports.com/topic/4362/o ... 1453831208
I saw a case recently (last week) for installation in a OnePlueOne with similar symptoms as yours.

We solved it going back to an old version of the installer which was the one I used to install in my OnePlusOne. It is this one:

https://github.com/ubports/ubports-inst ... 0.2.6-beta

This version saw the device immediately and completed the installation without a glitch.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Yes I saw the other recent threads Moem, thank you. All the ifs and maybes and guesses confirmed my opinion that the installer was too experimental for a novice like me, so my wife has decided she will have the Oneplus One. She is happy to use it as an Android and let Google have all her data.

In its place I ordered a new Nexus 5 with Ubuntu Touch already installed. It arrived today and so far I am very happy with it. I am undecided if I will get a SIM card for it as my principal use will be navigation, and in any case I don't have a phone signal at home. I'll leave that decision for a while.

In the meantime I am playing with it. The camera and web browsing both work, I am assessing ad blocking and two map/navigation applications, I have yet to discover how to print from it.

So far, so good.
Cliff Coggin
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

It's like we're starting a Coven of Ubuntu Touch users here. :D :lol:
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Only two so far.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Cliff Coggin
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:42 pm
my wife has decided she will have the Oneplus One.
I'm glad it's not going to waste. And the hardware ain't half bad.
cliffcoggin wrote:
I am assessing ad blocking and two map/navigation applications, I have yet to discover how to print from it.
For navigation, I like Pure Maps combined with Osm Scout Server. If you download the maps you are going to need beforehand, it does not need any data while you're on the go; just start both apps and Pure Maps will use the maps that Osm Scout Server provides.
For systemwide adblocking, uAdBlock is the thing.
I can't help you with regards to the printing; I've never tried that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Moem wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:08 pm

For navigation, I like Pure Maps combined with Osm Scout Server. If you download the maps you are going to need beforehand, it does not need any data while you're on the go; just start both apps and Pure Maps will use the maps that Osm Scout Server provides.
I've got both Unav and Pure Maps, I prefer the latter. Thanks for the tip about loading maps in advance of a journey.
Cliff Coggin
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

cliffcoggin wrote:
I ordered a new Nexus 5 with Ubuntu Touch already installed. It arrived today and so far I am very happy with it.
So far, so good.
Hmmm, I didnt know this was available. I am following this thread with much attention, but I am in the category of newbie users, who will stumble at the slightest technical difficulty, so trying to install it myself will be problematic, so I am curious cliffcoggin WHERE you bought this phone with Ubuntu Touch already installed?
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Fortuitously I found it on Ebay while looking for a second hand phone. I can look up the details later if you wish, as I am not at my main computer at the moment.
Cliff Coggin
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Okay Cliffcoggin, I understand that you found a secondhand phone with UT on Ebay. I visited the site and lots of phones with UT are being offered for affordable prices indeed. Nice! By the way, the Pinephone will be released this very summer. Will cost 150 dollars with Ubuntu Touch already installed. I never was a fan of smartphones but with Linux installed I am getting enthusiastic. :D
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

No it was a new phone, though listed amongst the secondhand.
Cliff Coggin
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Update! :D

I found out that my cheapie Oneplus One with the cracked glass actually only had a cracked screen protector. That's what the seller said but I didn't believe it, shame on me! So it's actually in fine working order with just some dents in the frame (which are fully hidden by the case I keep the phone in). Nice!
So I decided the stick my SIM card in, and try it out for a while as a daily driver. And it's performing decently enough that I haven't felt the need to switch back yet (it's been almost two weeks, according to the typical UT lock screen.

It's mostly been smooth sailing so far. Some of the apps feel unfinished, such as Axolotl (an inofficial Signal client). But let's be fair, it's in beta.

And today I read this, which sounds exciting, and like good news for getting UT working on a lot more devices pretty soon: https://www.xda-developers.com/ubports- ... id-device/

I do think I'm a fan by now. Oh, and the project / OS has a cute mascot:

yumi.png

cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

I'm glad it's working out for you Moem. I'll add my experience with a Nexus 5 here as there has been some interest on the forum.

As a phone it does all I want it to in terms of making calls, sending texts, taking photos. It is my first smart phone so I have no idea how it compares to non Linux devices. It has a web browser called Morph that is slow and rather strange, but functional. I have added a ring tone of my choice, and applications like an adblocker, radio player, podcast manager, audio recorder, wifi scanner, plus a few mapping and navigation apps.

My main disappointment is in the mapping and navigation functions. That's not the fault of the phone; it's more that my expectations were too high. For road use it all works well with spoken directions etc, but I already have a dedicated Satnav in the car so the phone is superfluous in that respect. I was hoping to use it off road for cross country hiking, however the available maps are inadequate for that.

Ubuntu Touch has only been extant for nine years and is actively being developed so I expect to see improvements over the next few years. To put it another way, it is has passed the experimental stage, but has yet to reach the maturity of main stream phones.
Cliff Coggin
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:51 am
To put it another way, it is has passed the experimental stage, but has yet to reach the maturity of main stream phones.
I think that is well stated. This property is what may make it inconvenient or even unusable for some of us, and at the same time more attractive to some people (and I'm sure those groups overlap).
Personally I'm willing to handle a quirk or two, I can afford to use a somewhat unfinished OS, and I enjoy the 'freshness' of it all.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Well, it's now another two weeks later and I'm still using it. It works well enough that I haven't felt the need to switch back. Now that I'm using data, not wifi, battery life is definitely good enough; two days or so, depending on use. The Telegram app is good; the Signal-compatible app needs more work, but the basics are there.

I don't think I'll be switching back again.

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:54 pm
Well, it's now another two weeks later and I'm still using it. It works well enough that I haven't felt the need to switch back. Now that I'm using data, not wifi, battery life is definitely good enough; two days or so, depending on use. The Telegram app is good; the Signal-compatible app needs more work, but the basics are there.

I don't think I'll be switching back again.
Very cool! Two days of runtime is what I'm getting on my Moto G Power, so the fact you could pull that with a OnePlus One which is now several years old is pretty significant.

I wonder what an employer, which wants their employees to be connected and use certain apps which the company has standardized on, would say if a prospective employee told them "Oh, yeah, my smartphone runs on UT." I'm betting they wouldn't get the job. :wink:

— Voltaire
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Portreve wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:53 pm

I wonder what an employer, which wants their employees to be connected and use certain apps which the company has standardized on, would say if a prospective employee told them "Oh, yeah, my smartphone runs on UT." I'm betting they wouldn't get the job. :wink:
Any potential employer who suggested that to me would be told where he could stick his job. I work to live, not live to work.
Cliff Coggin
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

One lesson I've learned by working for my present employer: never, ever work for another Canadian company.

Our company wanted us to install a program on our phones called Intune, which they said was to help us be more secure, but it actually is designed to be able to remote monitor and lock down phones. That'd be ok on company phones, but not on privately owned phones. When I discovered that's what the software really was for, I discretely pushed back, and evidently everyone in the chain of command was like "Wait, what is this thing for?" and we've never heard another word about it.

I've been privately thanked by several of my coworkers when they learned I was the one who spoke up, and that's how I've learned just how many folk were actually not in the loop on this.

— Voltaire
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:53 pm
Wouldn't such an employer normally provide the smartphone that's to be used for work, just like other tools? I don't think it's the norm here that people use their own phone for work purposes. But what do I know, I've hardly ever been employed.

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

It would be unreasonable for an employer to require one to buy a smartphone to run their apps(s) on. Not just the cost, but the principle. Some of us don't want Google or Apple devices.

Me? I'm very tempted by the Oneplus One. Can the OS be customized to look like Mint? :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

I just saw a review of the Pinephone on youtube. Okay, this Pinephone edition is being launched as a developers edition, but incoming calls dont even work. Battery life of 4 hours max. That's really stretching the boundaries of what isnt possible (yet), even if it is a developers edition. It was one review though, it could have been an incident. The camera function did not work on all the different distributions though.

I expected a bit more from the Pinephone, even from the developers edition. Looking at Moem's success with a secondhand phone, Moem's way seems to be the best way to go if one wants to run Linux on a phone...
Last edited by carum carvi on Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux”