Linux on ARM tablet?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sneakyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Linux on ARM tablet?

Post by sneakyfox »

I'm looking to replace my laptop (I also have a desktop) with a tablet since it actually suits my needs better, but since the ARM tablets make most sense for me (price and the fact that I don't need an attached keyboard) I cannot run Mint on it :(

My question then is what options there are as alternatives to simply running Android -- that is, real linux distros that would also work well with that touchscreen setup?

I see that Debian runs on ARM, as does Archlinux, but how well would they run on a tablet that is meant for touch computing? Ubuntu Touch seems like an obvious choice but it seems to be in early stages (and a post on their forum explains that the development is currently focused on building the desktop environment and get it functioning across multiple distros).

A second newbie question is whether the regular (x86/64) app packages from their respective package systems would also work on, say, debian or arch ARM, or does everything need to be rebuilt when the kernel architecture changes?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Linux on ARM tablet?

Post by Moem »

sneakyfox wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:49 am Ubuntu Touch seems like an obvious choice but it seems to be in early stages
I like it a lot on my phone. But keep in mind that it's different from desktop Ubuntu. A suitable tablet that is likely to become supported soon is Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus (see GitLab).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

sneakyfox wrote: A second newbie question is whether the regular (x86/64) app packages from their respective package systems would also work on, say, debian or arch ARM, or does everything need to be rebuilt when the kernel architecture changes?
Typically, packages are architecture-specific, and may have their own repositories as well.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The touch support is actuallly a MUCH bigger issue in Linux than the ARM architecture. For how long they've been working on it Ubuntu Touch is making a laughingstock out of Canonical.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 am For how long they've been working on it Ubuntu Touch is making a laughingstock out of Canonical.
I don't think you know what Ubuntu Touch is. It's not desktop Ubuntu; it's not even desktop Ubuntu with touch support.
Ubuntu Touch is a full-fledged smartphone OS and it's not being developed by Canonical. When Canonical decided to drop it, it was picked up by by a community that is now called UBports. And the project is advancing quite well. You might want to read up on it lest you become a laughingstock yourself, talking about things you don't know about.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

My advice is to look for a cheap x86 tablet on ebay and install Linux on it. Since Windows 8 was touch oriented and such a failure there used to be tons of W8 tablets there but the supply is beginning to dry up.

Putting Linux, or even an alternative flavor of android, on most ARM tablets is quite a task. Unless you just enjoy the challenge, your time is worth money and it will be cheaper in real terms to get an Intel tablet. I have accepted the challenge of getting Lineage OS onto a circa 2012 Galaxy tablet and it is giving me fits. I cannot imagine what it would take to install, say, Raspbian on it. Probably not possible, even for Linus.
sneakyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sneakyfox »

Moem wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:28 am
sneakyfox wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:49 am Ubuntu Touch seems like an obvious choice but it seems to be in early stages
I like it a lot on my phone. But keep in mind that it's different from desktop Ubuntu. A suitable tablet that is likely to become supported soon is Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus (see GitLab).
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye on that. How has ubuntu touch been working for you so far? In particular, are you finding that you can run the apps that you are used to on linux, or are you having to find alternatives that work on UK or do a lot of work installing/building apps yourself?

old_noob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:00 pm My advice is to look for a cheap x86 tablet on ebay and install Linux on it. Since Windows 8 was touch oriented and such a failure there used to be tons of W8 tablets there but the supply is beginning to dry up.

Putting Linux, or even an alternative flavor of android, on most ARM tablets is quite a task. Unless you just enjoy the challenge, your time is worth money and it will be cheaper in real terms to get an Intel tablet. I have accepted the challenge of getting Lineage OS onto a circa 2012 Galaxy tablet and it is giving me fits. I cannot imagine what it would take to install, say, Raspbian on it. Probably not possible, even for Linus.
That is also a good idea, thanks. I do wonder how well the touch functionality would be, what do you think?

JoeFootball wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:30 am
sneakyfox wrote: A second newbie question is whether the regular (x86/64) app packages from their respective package systems would also work on, say, debian or arch ARM, or does everything need to be rebuilt when the kernel architecture changes?
Typically, packages are architecture-specific, and may have their own repositories as well.
Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

sneakyfox wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:56 am
Moem wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:28 am I like it a lot on my phone. But keep in mind that it's different from desktop Ubuntu. A suitable tablet that is likely to become supported soon is Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus (see GitLab).
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye on that. How has ubuntu touch been working for you so far? In particular, are you finding that you can run the apps that you are used to on linux, or are you having to find alternatives that work on UK or do a lot of work installing/building apps yourself?
Like I said: I like it a lot.
As for apps: none of the above really. It's a phone, it does phone things, I don't need it to do laptop things. UT has a fairly complete set of available apps. They cover my phone needs quite well. I would appreciate the possibility to do video chat but that is not yet available.

Don't count on using laptop/desktop applications on UT. In some cases, you can run them in a Libertine container. But not all of them, and many do not work well. Nevertheless, it's worth a try.

I have no idea how to build an app and no interest in learning.

sneakyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sneakyfox »

Moem wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:42 am
sneakyfox wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:56 am
Moem wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:28 am I like it a lot on my phone. But keep in mind that it's different from desktop Ubuntu. A suitable tablet that is likely to become supported soon is Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus (see GitLab).
Like I said: I like it a lot.
As for apps: none of the above really. It's a phone, it does phone things, I don't need it to do laptop things. UT has a fairly complete set of available apps. They cover my phone needs quite well. I would appreciate the possibility to do video chat but that is not yet available.

Don't count on using laptop/desktop applications on UT. In some cases, you can run them in a Libertine container. But not all of them, and many do not work well. Nevertheless, it's worth a try.

I have no idea how to build an app and no interest in learning.
Ok, that's good to know, thanks. I actually do need laptop things. One of the great things for me about linux is the fact there is always some nice little program out there to do the stuff you need done. It sounds like one is not getting that with an ARM distro in any case.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Moem wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:27 pm
Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 am For how long they've been working on it Ubuntu Touch is making a laughingstock out of Canonical.
I don't think you know what Ubuntu Touch is. It's not desktop Ubuntu; it's not even desktop Ubuntu with touch support.
Ubuntu Touch is a full-fledged smartphone OS and it's not being developed by Canonical. When Canonical decided to drop it, it was picked up by by a community that is now called UBports. And the project is advancing quite well. You might want to read up on it lest you become a laughingstock yourself, talking about things you don't know about.
Yes, I do know what it is, and the progress they've made is pitiful for the time it's taken.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:02 am Yes, I do know what it is, and the progress they've made is pitiful for the time it's taken.
You also were convinced that it was being developed by Canonical, so you'll surely pardon me for not taking your opinion very seriously. :roll:

old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

"That is also a good idea, thanks. I do wonder how well the touch functionality would be, what do you think?"

Touch function should be just like any other phone or tablet; they were built for the touch interface.
sneakyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sneakyfox »

old_noob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:11 pm "That is also a good idea, thanks. I do wonder how well the touch functionality would be, what do you think?"

Touch function should be just like any other phone or tablet; they were built for the touch interface.
Thanks, but what I meant was: would the touch interface work well in a linux distro?
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

sneakyfox wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:59 am
old_noob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:11 pm "That is also a good idea, thanks. I do wonder how well the touch functionality would be, what do you think?"

Thanks, but what I meant was: would the touch interface work well in a linux distro?
The two times I tried it with laptop and all-in-one touchscreens, Mint worked fine. But you might want to keep an eye on this project: https://en.jingos.com/
sneakyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sneakyfox »

old_noob wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:52 pm
sneakyfox wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:59 am

The two times I tried it with laptop and all-in-one touchscreens, Mint worked fine. But you might want to keep an eye on this project: https://en.jingos.com/
Thanks, good to know.

JingOS sounds extremely interesting. But a system that runs linux as well as android apps seems a tall promise.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

old_noob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:00 pm Putting Linux, or even an alternative flavor of android, on most ARM tablets is quite a task. Unless you just enjoy the challenge, your time is worth money and it will be cheaper in real terms to get an Intel tablet. I have accepted the challenge of getting Lineage OS onto a circa 2012 Galaxy tablet and it is giving me fits. I cannot imagine what it would take to install, say, Raspbian on it. Probably not possible, even for Linus.
Well, I was able to get Replicant OS, a fork of lineage, to boot on the 2012 Galaxy Tab, but... no wifi or sound. This tablet will live out its days as a camera and e-reader. A shame, as the hardware (especially speakers) is still impressive, probably better than iPads from that era.

Return to “Chat about Linux”