I admit it, I'm just natcherly lazy these daze

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I admit it, I'm just natcherly lazy these daze

Post by DPM »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:20 amMy Eustachian tubes have been blocked since birth, and will not drain properly.
There's a pretty recent surgery method for that. Basically, the ENT docs looked at the balloon tubes the heart surgeons have and repurposed that. These things can be introduced from the nose into the Eustachian tubes, then pumped up to high pressure for a minute, then be removed. Under full anaesthesia of course. It's a small operation with one day of hospital stay, and not too bad. OFC I can't say whether that would be feasible for your case - I was just the patient, not the doctor.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

DPM wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:34 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:20 amMy Eustachian tubes have been blocked since birth, and will not drain properly.
There's a pretty recent surgery method for that. Basically, the ENT docs looked at the balloon tubes the heart surgeons have and repurposed that. These things can be introduced from the nose into the Eustachian tubes, then pumped up to high pressure for a minute, then be removed. Under full anesthesia of course. It's a small operation with one day of hospital stay, and not too bad. OFC I can't say whether that would be feasible for your case - I was just the patient, not the doctor.
think I will just go with what works for me, 2 or 4 Guafenesin tablets a day, and Arm & Hammer's [ Allergy & Sinus Relief ] saline spray, it is a 3% sodium solution that works wonders.... and on the cloggy days, a bit of extra help with Nyquil Night Time Relief to keep them open. downside is it puts me to sleep for about 36 hours :|

I keep 90 follow ups with the ENT docs, staying in front of problems is a lot better then getting too far behind.... I have tubes in both ear drums.

----------

the Laptop overheating? the backside of a Kindle eReader is a soft felt material, laid that on the right knee, and my Note8 cellphone on the left leg... Problem solved without a lot of bulk.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:12 pmI have tubes in both ear drums.
Yeah, I know that issue, and the surgery I described above was the only measure in decades that actually improved the situation. Btw., for the ear drum tubes, the silicone ones seem to work best.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

DPM wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:17 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:12 pmI have tubes in both ear drums.
Yeah, I know that issue, and the surgery I described above was the only measure in decades that actually improved the situation. Btw., for the ear drum tubes, the silicone ones seem to work best.
dunno what they are, the left ear has stayed in for over 2 years now.
the right ear fell out, but the hole healed and stayed open, so the doc left it alone.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:59 pm It doesn't matter how powerful or wimpy a laptop is when it comes to getting hot when used on a lap, especially when air vents on the bottom get blocked. As long as the laptop can get enough air, it can be used however one wants to use it. This may mean putting a hard surface between the lap and the bottom of the laptop, which can be as simple as a board or piece of plywood up to an ultra high priced, fancy dancy lap desk.
Occasionally I take the laptop up to bed to watch a film or something. Rather than risk it overheating on the duvet I use a square cake board as a base. Those things are really light, rigid, and you can pick them up for 2-3 euros/dollars/pounds! Works a treat and really easy to pick up between your fingers. Slide it out of the way somewhere when not in use. Works for me :)
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I am going to cut a piece of plywood and put a small piece of trim on the front edge to keep the laptop from sliding down off of it.
On the odd occasions I decide to use a laptop late at night, I use a lump of ply on top of my lap.
To prevent the slidey movey thing, I have a piece of that rubberised non skid cloth stuff (that's a technical term) from the Dollar Store, and cut it a little larger than the laptop, which I lay under the laptop.

The stuff has little squarish holes like a very coarse weave, so there is a bit of air space there, but the main thing is no sliding, and no need to make anything fancy. I just run a bit of coarse sandpaper around the edges of the ply to take off any hard edges.

Not an elegant solution in some ways, but it works and looks ok.

If you make the ply (and the non-slippy mat thing) a little larger, there's room for a coffee mug.. Which raises a whole other problem...
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

one more update on laptop temps:

yesterday, I started using my Kindle eReader as a support on the Fan exhaust port side of the laptop,
and my cellphone on my left knee.

I have been using the laptop for a couple of hours now, quite the difference compared to earlier when nearly every thing was approaching 100*C

Temps.png
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

$ sudo apt install lm-sensors
$ sensors
k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +41.5°C (high = +70.0°C)
(crit = +105.0°C, hyst = +104.0°C)

radeon-pci-0008
temp1: +42.0°C (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
power1: 7.06 W (interval = 0.01 s, crit = 15.05 W)

BAT1-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0: 15.85 V
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
I have a very old PC, I check the temps regularly.

Return to “Chat about Linux”