Converting to Linux...kind of

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajgringo619

Re: Converting to Linux...kind of

Post by ajgringo619 »

VassiliTN wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:03 pm ajgringo619 Ventoy is brilliant! Does everything that Rufus does, I wonder why when I search for "alternative to Rufus" Ventoy never comes up. That indeed solves that.
Glad it's working for you.
In terms of VPN I meant VPN for remote access, not for anonymous browsing. For right now I got everything I need to work, just hope some future client doesn't require a VPN that's Windows only and doesn't work from a VM
It still amazes me that so many systems require a Windows-only VPN client. IBM was using a universal one (from AT&T) 20 years ago; made working from home a breeze.
VassiliTN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VassiliTN »

Two and a half months in, mostly works better than expected! Everything runs great including VMs and so far I haven't had to turn on the old Windows box once, one way or the other everything works either via Mint or via Windows Server 2019 VM. Go figure - Server 2019 gets just as many updates as Windows 10, almost every day, yet so far not a single issue with those updates.

The only problem - no linux drivers for my motherboard and the kernel drivers are shall we say less than stable. Occasionally the sound driver will crash and occasionally video driver will start putting snow on both screens. Reboot fixes both issues till the next time. Just today upgraded to kernel 5.14.2 we'll see if that makes a difference
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

Occasionally the sound driver will crash and occasionally video driver will start putting snow on both screens.
I have had the sound go down until a reboot, but very rarely. And that is on 3 different machines.
Video driver putting snow on the screen - I have never seen that and never even heard about it until now. But I just do normal screens - no 4K for me just yet.
VassiliTN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VassiliTN »

Kind of funny...

On the desktop upgrading the kernel to 5.14.2 seems to have fixed the snow issue. Sound driver still crashed a couple of times

On the laptop after I upgraded the kernel to 5.14.2 the sound all of a sudden started working which it never has before! Never needed it on the laptop as it's strictly for work, that was certainly a surprise :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux”