Re: Virus

Post by MurphCID »

New malware discovered for Linux: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uzKSMchR_c
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

I clicked the link and stopped wondering what it is when I saw the tab "Pricing."
Michael_Hathaway
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

I came across the REvil ransomware video, running as a native Linux executable file, manually launched from the terminal. I found the video interesting. But I do not find anything scary or dramatic here.

I think that readers on this forum should take a serious look into Moderator Karlchen's advice he gives in these threads (The moderators in this forum are very knowledgable, all of them). Most of these videos either leave out the details of how these machines get infected or flat out say that they do not know. I have a theory on that, I think people are button pushers. I have seen experienced programmers cut and paste code into the terminal and "test" new toys on their daily drivers without thinking. I personally test things, but I do it in VMware.

- MH
karlchen wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:47 pm
Two things have not been mentioned in the video, though:
- Most important, how the heck did the executable revil.elf arrive on the machine?
- Who will make it executable and then execute it?
MurphCID
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MurphCID »

It appears that many, if not most, ransomware, malware, etc require the user to actively install or run something. Am I correct in this assumption? So therefore if you practice safe computing (vs safe sex) you will be pretty well protected?
rene
Level 18
Level 18

Post by rene »

Yes.
Grayfox
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grayfox »

MurphCID wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:54 am
It appears that many, if not most, ransomware, malware, etc require the user to actively install or run something. Am I correct in this assumption? So therefore if you practice safe computing (vs safe sex) you will be pretty well protected?
This is pretty much standard for most malware.
You have to install something like a program cracker/activator or you have to run a file such as a downloaded MP3 that has malware embedded(eg those song.mp3.exe) and since most windows users have Hide file extensions set to enable which is default(a stupid move) people fall for it.

Some others are drive by infections from things like Flash, JS on a web browser.