Notification.ogg

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ggesus97
Level 1
Level 1

Notification.ogg

Post by ggesus97 »

Can someone upload Notification.ogg and Logout.ogg files? I would like to use those sounds in another Linux distribution but I can not seem to find any resources online for me to download.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Notification.ogg

Post by karlchen »

Hello, ggesus97.

On Linux Mint the installed sound files can be found inside the base folder /usr/share/sounds.
Navigate to this folder using your graphical file-manager.
Then click on the looking glass icon and enter the sound file name, which you want to search for.
You can copy the found sound files to a USB pendrive e.g. in order to transfer them from there to a different system.

If you prefer the commandline then you can search for the 2 filenames Notifications.ogg and Logout.ogg using this commandline:

Code: Select all

find /usr/share/sounds -name Notification.ogg -o -name Logout.ogg
Here on my LM 19.3 xfce system the commandline above comes back empty, because none of the 2 filenames exist here.

find /usr/share/sounds -name *notification.ogg -o -name *logout.ogg
returns precisely 1 file here:

$ find /usr/share/sounds -name *notification.ogg -o -name *logout.ogg
/usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/desktop-logout.ogg
Your results may be different.
HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
ggesus97
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ggesus97 »

Hello.

I am aware of where the files are located but i do not have Mint installed from which I can extract it, hence me asking if someone here would be kind enough to upload the files for download.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Correction:

In addition to /usr/share/sounds, more Mint specific sound files can be found inside /usr/share/mint-artworks.
The 2 specific files, which you mentioned are here:
/usr/share/mint-artwork/sounds/logout.ogg
/usr/share/mint-artwork/sounds/notification.oga

Note:
The filenames are all lowercase. notification.oga is an .oga file, not an .ogg file.

All the Mint specific sound files can be found inside the Linux Mint software package mint-artwork.
The precise download package name varies between Linux Mint releases.
But you can find the most recent mint-artwork package here:
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mint-artwork/mint-artwork_1.5.5_all.deb

As you are not a Linux Mint user, I am not quite sure, why you need the Mint specific sound files.
Anyway. You are free to download the mint-artwork_1.5.5_all.deb installation package.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
ggesus97
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ggesus97 »

Thank you very much. Exploring the .deb file revealed the sounds to be in /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo. Was able to extract them easily there after.

As to why i want the sounds? I used to use Linux Mint a few years ago and I liked those tones quite alot. Think they are quite elegant and simple and work great as Start-up and Shut-down sounds. : )

Return to “Chat about Linux”