What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Post by absque fenestris »

Back to Windows is not correct in my case - it would rather be back to the Mac...
But where I definitely ended up on Windows is my attempts at music recording and hooking up MIDI keyboards to drive digital synthesizers: I smashed my beloved Mint Cinnamon extremely successfully -- without ever hearing an audible sound from the computer's speakers or even a music recording would have taken place... but then at some point the Cinnamon desktop was gone. Oh well.
With Ubuntu Studio I can at least hear some (very quiet) sounds, but recording still doesn't work... and all that stuff with Jack and whatnot -- I can't help but be bothered.
Taking my age into account, I simply don't have the time to deal with the Linux sound system in detail anymore. It works in Windows and I can devote myself to the music and my experiments... It's a shame - but that's how it is.
So now I'm on two tracks: a laptop for synthetic music games and experiments with Windows 10 and another where I can run my usual Cinnamon (but without a MIDI keyboard and certainly not with the horrible Jack...)
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What will make me running back to Windows.. :o)

Post by Marie SWE »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:51 pm that force me to reboot in the end.

win7Pro computer and has now an uptime of 247days and it's still quick as I had boot it up today
I'm getting the impression that you never ever switch anything OFF when not used. We switch OFF at the "wall" every night. That means monitors, scanners, speakers, computers, aren't wasting power. If we are away for a few days all TVs are off at the wall too. This is a security thing, protection from lightning strikes or power surges while not around. We are slowly replacing all light bulbs with LEDs too.

All laptops are OFF, not Hibernate as this saves batteries which tend to be marginal with some of the laptops we have.

Switching computers OFF when not needed is what we have always done for decades, nothing new there.

Maybe the way we work saves money and computer problems too.
I did an edit with a printscreen in my last post as I was off by 76 days on my mini XP printer server. :oops:
I made my little printserver to avoid to have my server up all the time as that one really use a lot of power.. So my server is only on when I'm working from home nowadays.

Yes, you have it right.. I never turn them off or reboot if not needed.. Laptops at auto sleep mode(save to ram) after 5hours and desktops auto to hibernation after 5hours (save ram to disk) as those don't have UPS.. My TV-computer has auto hibernation after 12hours
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

So I save money (for electricity) save problems (default reboot) and save component stress (capacitors, fans, heat, etc.) by power OFF.
Maybe that's why I don't have problems.

OK, I will admit problem a year or so ago, the computer crashing. It was due to a capacitor on the board needing replacement and nothing to do with software.
Monitors, a few have failed and again capacitors so obviously have had a longer life by being switched off so the heat doesn't dry them out and lower their capacity.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:48 pm So I save money (for electricity) save problems (default reboot) and save component stress (capacitors, fans, heat, etc.) by power OFF.
Maybe that's why I don't have problems.

OK, I will admit problem a year or so ago, the computer crashing. It was due to a capacitor on the board needing replacement and nothing to do with software.
Monitors, a few have failed and again capacitors so obviously have had a longer life by being switched off so the heat doesn't dry them out and lower their capacity.
My monitors is set to power down after 5minutes.. so I don't need screensavers.
I have no problem with my hardware.. I maintain my hardware every summer when I have my vacation(6weeks).. so next week starts the annual check/cleanout from dust checking fans, new cooling paste if necessary(one laptop starts running a little hot 55-67C) and this summer I will also reinstall three desktops to Debian11 and perhaps also two of my laptops.. So I will have one or two days downtime on my network when checking/cleaning my switches and my firewall.. I do have my mobile internet laptop for those two days though.
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Marie SWE wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pm I will however stay with Linux until that day MS goes back to LTS and offline option.
As Dante says:
'... leave every hope here!' :lol:
Microsoft has been working for years to turn Windows into a service to pay them while we're alive, and now that it's biting the bone, it will never let go.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Marie SWE wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:51 pm
RollyShed wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:44 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pmThe longest up time I have with Linux Desktop is around 200days before I'm forced to reboot do to something crashes or memory leaks or out of memory do to bad memory handling.. with a windows system is my longest uptime over 1500days.
Odd.
I've a decade of Linux and not had that problem. My partner was getting about 30 days between meltdowns with Windows in 2018. She has never had a problem since then with Linux.
yes and no.. I have really good knowledge of MS OS systems and over 20years of experience.. but I have only "experimented" with linux around 4years.. I guess it perhaps is the opposite for you.
most problem I had with linux is the Desktop environment and some memory leaks over the years or swapdeath (disk I/O trashing) that force me to reboot in the end.
Meltdown in win10 isn't hard to get if you run it out of the box, :mrgreen: windows is really crappy that way. :lol:

My computer I have to my television for watching movies listen to music and play my country's play-channels is a win7Pro computer and has now an uptime of 247days and it's still quick as I had boot it up today... but it is not out of the box install. I have modified the install.wim, the registry and services quite a bit. The same with my printer mini server it has winXP and is heavy modified as well and has an uptime over 1500days now.. and as those two is EOL I never need to reboot them. Last time I rebooted my TV-computer was when I upgraded to two bigger HDDs

Everything often boils down how well we know the systems and can modify them.. I'm not there with Linux Desktop yet.. perhaps in 10years or faster with schooling on Linux systems,

Edit.
I became curious of the uptime.. it was 1424 days and not 1500. My bad. :oops:
screen.JPG
That is an impressive uptime on a Windows machine. You are completely correct, how well you know your system and its installed software makes all the difference in the world.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

diabolicbg wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:50 am
Marie SWE wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pm I will however stay with Linux until that day MS goes back to LTS and offline option.
As Dante says:
'... leave every hope here!' :lol:
Microsoft has been working for years to turn Windows into a service to pay them while we're alive, and now that it's biting the bone, it will never let go.
the hope is the last thing we should abandon, as hope is the one thing that don't make us give up in just lay down and die. :P :lol:
I know that windows will become a cloud OS in the future.. they working on it already.
Microsoft still has Enterprise LTSC, but the license price is a bit to much for my taste.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:07 am That is an impressive uptime on a Windows machine. You are completely correct, how well you know your system and its installed software makes all the difference in the world.
Windows before 10/11 was relatively easy to tame and to get really stable.. I have not tried to tame 10+11 as I have no intention to ever use them. But I guess I could manage to do that with them too as it still "old"windows at the core so to speak.

This is my win7 HP minitower PC I use for movies, music and so on. 248days and counting since I upgraded my HDDs in it.. and still running smooth as I had just booted it up today... next reboot will happen if I experience a power blackout or a system harddisk failure.

I just wish I had 50% of my Microsoft OS knowledge to Linux, then I could do a lot more hardening and customization..... But I will get there with more time. (if windows doesn't release a LTS Pro version.. then I'm off)
HP-Win7Pro.jpg
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Just as a curio:
From 2005 to 2016 I maintained a personal Apache server installed on Windows XP. Shutdowns were once a month for 2 hours to clean the machine of dust on the fans. My system was much more stable than the one on Windows 10.
But that doesn't mean I didn't feel reborn the day I switched to LM and saw its stability. I don't think I need to explain, at least to people who are inside the thing... :D

P.S. My server is still running, but it's uploaded to a VM because it has a lot of emotional value to me.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Marie SWE wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:08 am ...I know that windows will become a cloud OS in the future.. they working on it already...
Heck, they were working on it before Nadella replaced Balmer eight years ago. Before his promotion, Nadella was Veep in charge of cloud development. My surprise is it hasn't happened already. Adobe didn't waste anytime going cloud based (that was when they lost me).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

diabolicbg wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:24 am Just as a curio:
From 2005 to 2016 I maintained a personal Apache server installed on Windows XP. Shutdowns were once a month for 2 hours to clean the machine of dust on the fans. My system was much more stable than the one on Windows 10.
But that doesn't mean I didn't feel reborn the day I switched to LM and saw its stability. I don't think I need to explain, at least to people who are inside the thing... :D

P.S. My server is still running, but it's uploaded to a VM because it has a lot of emotional value to me.
once a month? you must have a really-really dusty environment. :shock:
I clean my machines once a year and they only have small signs of dust.. so basically I could do it every two years.. But it's good to check the fans bearings once a year to be safe. 8)
My server still runs 2008R2ESU I do not feel to comfy or have all needed knowledge to setup a secure Linux server.... yet... so I stay with what I do know until my server is unsafe to use. :oops:
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:36 am
Marie SWE wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:08 am ...I know that windows will become a cloud OS in the future.. they working on it already...
Heck, they were working on it before Nadella replaced Balmer eight years ago. Before his promotion, Nadella was Veep in charge of cloud development. My surprise is it hasn't happened already. Adobe didn't waste anytime going cloud based (that was when they lost me).
Win11Home is almost a hybrid of cloud OS, if you don't hack the install process to get a local account on it. :lol:
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Marie SWE wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:48 am once a month? you must have a really-really dusty environment. :shock:
Unfortunately the air in Sofia is one of the dirtiest in Europe, if not in the world... :(
On the other hand, I'm a perfectionist and if I have a problematic computer, it's like having a sick family member... As we say in Bulgaria, "every madman has a show and some - a whole program". :lol:
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

diabolicbg wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:01 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:48 am once a month? you must have a really-really dusty environment. :shock:
Unfortunately the air in Sofia is one of the dirtiest in Europe, if not in the world... :(
On the other hand, I'm a perfectionist and if I have a problematic computer, it's like having a sick family member... As we say in Bulgaria, "every madman has a show and some - a whole program". :lol:
okay. :mrgreen: then I understand.
Have you considering air intake filters to just have to clean them once a month? 8)
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Marie SWE wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:10 pm
diabolicbg wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:01 pm
okay. :mrgreen: then I understand.
Have you considering air intake filters to just have to clean them once a month? 8)
I live at the intersection of two busy major streets and will have to clean such filters every week. :lol: The only way to save the air is to ban and dump all the old diesel cars that have flooded my country after Europe dumped them and sold them off for nothing, but the financial situation of most Bulgarians does not allow it at the moment. My car was also made in 2003 but runs on LPG and doesn't pollute as much.
But I think that's a topic for another conversation, even if it is in the chat...
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

diabolicbg wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:08 pm But I think that's a topic for another conversation, even if it is in the chat...
So true :wink: nice chat with you anyway. :mrgreen:
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Marie SWE wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:40 pm
diabolicbg wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:08 pm But I think that's a topic for another conversation, even if it is in the chat...
So true :wink: nice chat with you anyway. :mrgreen:
Thank you! I enjoyed it too! :D
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

Marie SWE wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:51 pm I became curious of the uptime.. it was 1424 days and not 1500. My bad. :oops:
Back in 2009-2010 I had built a small AutoHotkey script called uptimer that displayed the current uptime of a Windows session. The largest unit displayed was weeks. Guess I should revisit that script to add months and years. Or why should I bother actually...
Screenshot from 2022-07-01 10-02-02.png
Screenshot from 2022-07-01 10-02-02.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 392 times
BTW, if anyone is curious that script (as AHK source and also compiled with AHK 1.0 and thus compatible with Windows 9x/ME too) is available in this larger package together with many other of my AHK scripts.
(if you get any malware warnings for the executables it's all false positives, I definitely did not put any such things in there)

Oh and the script/exe also works in WINE - the screenshot is from a few minutes ago on this Mint 19.2 machine. :wink:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:36 am
Same here. When they quit selling a stand alone Photoshop citing some BS "legal issues" and it became a perpetual money drain, I decided I would stick with my old Photoshop until it dies. I have no use for the Cloud, all that means is that someone else has my data, and it is available to whomever wants to break into those servers.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:46 am ...I have no use for the Cloud, all that means is that someone else has my data, and it is available to whomever wants to break into those servers.
I'm worried less about about who may break into their servers than I am they will abuse my data themselves or sell it to others.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Chat about Linux”