New Photoshop alternative for Linux - Pixeluvo...

Chat about Linux in general
baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

New Photoshop alternative for Linux - Pixeluvo...

Post by baldrick.777 »

As an avid photographer, I was somewhat dismayed that there is pretty much no commercial photo editing software for Linux.

Gimp is awesome, but doesn't support RAW files natively. Many RAW editors for Linux appear clunky and, to my mind, don't seem to render properly. Bibble (now, Corel's AfterShot Pro) is a worthy candidate but lacks without layering options.

Until yesterday I was starting to think I might need a new hobby, because if I couldn't find a half-way decent Linux alternative... Well, who wants to go with Microsoft again?

Last night I opened my Ubuntu Software Center (instead of Google), and I found this gem. Pixeluvo (http://www.pixeluvo.com/). The trial version is free (though you need an Ubuntu One account to download it), or just grab the .deb from scrolling down their homepage. From what I've seen of it so far, it's completely worth the US$34+VAT price tag, which represents excellent value for money!

Whilst proprietry software, the dev is keen for constructive feedback and suggestions.

Check out their website. If you're a keen photographer looking for a native Photoshop alternative/substitute, this could well be for you.

Oh, and it plays very well with my newly installed Cinnamon 2.0 on top of Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 install!

Cheers :D
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: New Photoshop alternative for Linux - Pixeluvo...

Post by mike acker »

I played with digiKam briefly

but I couldn't get it to recognize my 60D

digiKam is supposed to be calibrated to handle "raw" from a variety of cameras and it certainly had a lot of edit tools to play with

i don't shoot "raw" very much. generally the DIGIC4 seems to be pretty much spot on.

digiKam starts by building a database and it appears that it want to make an effort to help orgainize large photo collections. which would certainly be helpful. according to the manual, if you leave it running you can even move folders around and it will sync its database -- which would be Quite the Blessing. this would tempt one to load digiKam in the start menu so as to avoid the mistake of forgetting t start it. that won't affect the 'puter I'm running but it would a lot of 'em...
¡Viva la Resistencia!
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RacerBG »

For my simple needs I use Pinta 1.4. It's almost the same like Paint.NET for Windows and at least for me it's great! :) GIMP have awesome forms and figures but still it's too complex for me.
Proud of Linux Mint!
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Thanks for the heads up, I am always interested in new graphics stuff. I just now installed the deb and a very cursory first impression is good, tools seem to be organised in a familiar way, controls seemed nice. A good looking application.
I will have to test it more when I have time.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Post by passerby »

Doesn't support Photoshop PSD text layers :?
Still can't replace Photoshop with a native Linux client.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Post by baldrick.777 »

passerby wrote:Doesn't support Photoshop PSD text layers :?
Suggest it to the development either via email or the forum on their website. They seem pretty keen for suggestions & feedback. So you never know...
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Post by passerby »

baldrick.777 wrote: Suggest it to the development either via email or the forum on their website. They seem pretty keen for suggestions & feedback. So you never know...
I'll do so when development is further along. Currently they don't have support for PSD layers at all (PSDs are flattened), let alone text layers.
Though considering how limited GIMP is in that area, I'm guessing it's non-trivial.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
Snapseed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Snapseed »

I think it is worth updating this particular thread not least because there is still a shortage of good image editing apps on Linux and the choice is far smaller than on Windows or macOS.

Personally, I would regard Pixeluvo as more of a Photoshop Elements replacement and not a substitute for the full Adobe Photoshop option. That said, it is my go to image editor and I think it is an excellent piece of software albeit both proprietary and paid-for. I would say it works best using the X11 windows system.

Anyway, it is still available and it can be directly downloaded. The link is provided below and all you need to do is copy and paste the link into the top browser window:

http://www.pixeluvo.com/downloads/pixel ... _amd64.deb

To convert the trial app to the full version, you need to buy the app at:

http://www.pixeluvo.com/buynow/
harry_fine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by harry_fine »

At the download link at their website it says they can't provide a Linux version at this time. I think Linux support of the product may be dead.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Snapseed wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:26 am
I think it is worth updating this particular thread not least because there is still a shortage of good image editing apps on Linux and the choice is far smaller than on Windows or macOS.
Once I learned to use it I found very few reasons to prefer PhotoShop over GIMP, and Lightroom or Capture1 over darktable. For me and my workflow, the areas where Photoshop excels over GIMP is Pantone support, CYMK management, and integration with InDesign.

Other full-featured image editors include Inkscape, Krita, and digiKam. I find Pinta is a nice basic editor, MyPaint is a nice basic paint program, and XnView MP offers a nice set of editing tools.

Linux may not have the plethora of image editors as Windows, but it does have some very nice ones.
MikeNovember
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MikeNovember »

baldrick.777 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:24 am
[...]
Gimp is awesome, but doesn't support RAW files natively. Many RAW editors for Linux appear clunky and, to my mind, don't seem to render properly. Bibble (now, Corel's AfterShot Pro) is a worthy candidate but lacks without layering options.
[...]
Hi,

If Darktable is installed on your system, Gimp will use it as a plugin. And Darktable has very powerful RAW demosaicking functions.

Regards,

MN
Level 14
Level 14

Post by antikythera »

And if GIMP interface is too alien, you can always use PhotoGIMP which converts the toolbars, icons and menus to match Photoshop's as much as possible
LMDE5 | Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2H: Click for full specs...
LMDE5 | MSI A320M-A PRO MAX: Click for full specs...
Hoser Rob
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Hoser Rob »

passerby wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:45 pm
Doesn't support Photoshop PSD text layers :?
Exactly. It's not really an alternative if it won't support the formats PS uses, and for pro use it's useless as an alternative.

Return to “Chat about Linux”