What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Post by RollyShed »

rambo919 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:47 am
RollyShed wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:20 pm snip
A lot of the time this is not really "Deletion" but rather "Reset to Defaults".... so never leave anything important in a "Default" area.
Not sure what you mean by that but important items need to be on a different disk.
However how many "everyday" Windows users know that?
Basically a "noob user" (what ever that term means) here will never be going back to Windows.
Just done installations on a couple more computers (Mint Cinnamon 21), one for a friend's wife, and one for him.

Also had to repair a monitor tosday but that would have failed trying to run anything. Yes, typical capacitor failure.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Windows 11 encryption flaw leads to data corruption, it has been patched out-of-band twice already. The first patch had a massive effect on data throughput speeds so it had to be patched again to mitigate that.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

antikythera wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:10 amWindows 11 encryption flaw leads to data corruption.
On the upside: finally a bug other than disabling printers, which Windows users are already used to and bored with. :)
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Yeah, instead of not being able to print they will lose the document they want to print. So I guess it solved the printer issue :lol:
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

So nothing has changed since 2018 when they kept destroying drivers and then data. And again, and again.
That's what happens when you sack your testing staff as they did in 2018.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Let's be fair though..... LM keeps screwing up encryption too.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:07 am So nothing has changed since 2018 when they kept destroying drivers and then data. And again, and again.
True, the whole world is now Microsoft's beta testers.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:24 am
RollyShed wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:07 am So nothing has changed since 2018 when they kept destroying drivers and then data. And again, and again.
True, the whole world is now Microsoft's beta testers.
If a lot of people start boycotting them, they will sing a different song. :lol:
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

diabolicbg wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:49 amIf a lot of people start boycotting them, they will sing a different song. :lol:
If. Won't happen.
Windows users: oh no, we cannot use anything other than Windows!
Microsoft: oh, is that so? Then let's axe the QA and save cost!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

DPM wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:58 am
diabolicbg wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:49 amIf a lot of people start boycotting them, they will sing a different song. :lol:
If. Won't happen.
That's funny because it's true! (Homer Simpson)
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:28 pm
DPM wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:58 am
If. Won't happen.
That's funny because it's true! (Homer Simpson)
Very true. My wife and daughter are prime examples.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

This popped up recently
298419199_5900643283297546_7493331994986018684_n.jpg
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:06 pmVery true. My wife and daughter are prime examples.
I solved that kind of issue by migrating most of my family end users to Mint. My offer was, either it's Mint with my support, or find someone else for your Windows issues. The reason I stated for the latter, as not to come across as too rude, was that I don't have Windows myself, and I "solve" company Windows issues by filing an IT ticket and letting them deal with that. At the very least, I'm not the free Windows family support anymore.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Definitely wireless network adapters. I still struggle occasionally with my AM1 system's PCIe realtek card booting up in a low signal strength state. It usually maxes out around 30 Mbps for speedtest cli which is my broadband's speed but when it's playing up it's 2 Mbps.

I've done everything possible regarding power management already with network manager config files. For whatever reason it is entirely random. It's not dual booting with windows, fast boot is off in BIOS. I have also tried using lwfinger's driver instead which led to no card at all being detected by LMDE5 even though the module was installed to the letter following his guide on his github. I tried both methods, manual and dkms, no beans...

I may just get a larger network switch and run another cable, either that or pick up an Intel AX200 desktop kit. Neither option is urgent though as the machine is just for tinkering with now.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DPM wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:05 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:06 pmVery true. My wife and daughter are prime examples.
I solved that kind of issue by migrating most of my family end users to Mint. My offer was, either it's Mint with my support, or find someone else for your Windows issues. The reason I stated for the latter, as not to come across as too rude, was that I don't have Windows myself, and I "solve" company Windows issues by filing an IT ticket and letting them deal with that. At the very least, I'm not the free Windows family support anymore.
If I would not get screams and anguished crying I would do that. But in my house it is Windows or nothing for everyone but me. I figured out that I support a total of 16 systems (linux, windows, and one chrome) at the house. Five Linux and the rest Windows (one very very very outdated Chrome laptop).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rambo919 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:49 am This popped up recently

298419199_5900643283297546_7493331994986018684_n.jpg
LOL!!!
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:35 amIf I would not get screams and anguished crying I would do that.
That's what I was willing to take and ignore. For the small part that is still on Windows, I don't care.
But in my house it is Windows or nothing for everyone but me.
Same in my family up to and including Win 7.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

The very first person I installed linux for and supported was my wife. She could not care less what operating system her PC was/is running. Her Windows PC was slow and freezing and I really was of little help other than to power-off power-on. All the while I had migrated to linux and was not having any of the same issues even though our PCs are pretty much identical (HP pavillions, i7,16G RAM AMD 8 core CPU). I set her up with LM Cinnamon the same as me. Put all her favorite shortcuts on the desktop like she had with Windows, FireFox and LibreOffice (I have recently switched to Abiword and Gnumeric) and she could not have been happier.

That got me started with my sister and a few friends and then an elsewhere couple and finally a friend of a friend's Middle Schooler that needed a PC for remote school during Covid. They are all what I call "point and click" all they need need is a browser and a shortcut - some even use the menu. I found that most don't do updates so I now set auto-update up although I would not do that myself - so far for the last year and a half no problems except the LM 19 business that broke things but other than that everything has been just peachy.

Point is all of them came from Windows - half don't even know what an OS is and all don't care as long as the can do email, buy underwear or whatever they buy from Amazon, post on Facebook, look at the pics of the grandkids birthday party etc.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

A "spicy" view on a random personal experience.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

majpooper wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:35 pmPoint is all of them came from Windows - half don't even know what an OS is and all don't care as long as the can do email, buy underwear or whatever they buy from Amazon, post on Facebook, look at the pics of the grandkids birthday party etc.
Basically what I keep saying too.
That's what the majority do and Linux doesn't keep getting mangled by MS. It is also obvious what does what by icons that can be seen and used.
No flipping from one screen type to another either, what you see is what you get and it stays that way.

Have you tried switching off, closing down Win10 lately? A magnifying glass might help.... if you know where to look.

Return to “Chat about Linux”