What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What sends noobs running back to Windows?

Post by Marie SWE »

- people may have no spare time to scour through multiple manual pages (when they exist) in order to find the appropriate syntax for each command
this one was spot on for me.
Some people do have a life outside the computer screen.. so there is no option to spend hours up on hours and days after days researching or what for a forum answer, when it takes longer time to solve one problem in linux, then it takes to install windows do whats needed to be done (as it almost always works in windows) and then install linux again to try solve the problem when you get the time or get the answer.. then it's bad.. really bad.
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Marie SWE wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:15 pm
- people may have no spare time to scour through multiple manual pages (when they exist) in order to find the appropriate syntax for each command
this one was spot on for me.
Some people do have a life outside the computer screen.. so there is no option to spend hours up on hours and days after days researching or what for a forum answer, when it takes longer time to solve one problem in linux, then it takes to install windows do whats needed to be done (as it almost always works in windows) and then install linux again to try solve the problem when you get the time or get the answer.. then it's bad.. really bad.
Completely agree!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I don't get the Cinnamon is kind of like Windows thing. I have been on Cinnamon since 2013 and the few time I have been on Windows in the last few years I am completely lost. The only way I have made Windows refugees feel comfortable coming over to LM Cinnamon is by putting a shortcut on the desktop for almost everything they ever use. In the past I have labeled the menu button "Start" and even used the Windows icon - not sure that made a difference though it just seems they want/like the shortcuts. For fun I have made Cinnamon "look" like Windows versions from 95 up to 11 but after the first click it is obvious it's not Windows.
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

majpooper wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:56 pm I don't get the Cinnamon is kind of like Windows thing. I have been on Cinnamon since 2013 and the few time I have been on Windows in the last few years I am completely lost. The only way I have made Windows refugees feel comfortable coming over to LM Cinnamon is by putting a shortcut on the desktop for almost everything they ever use. In the past I have labeled the menu button "Start" and even used the Windows icon - not sure that made a difference though it just seems they want/like the shortcuts. For fun I have made Cinnamon "look" like Windows versions from 95 up to 11 but after the first click it is obvious it's not Windows.
The point isn't "fooling people" into thinking that it is windows. It is that it is close enough to the layout and look of windows that people familiar with Windows are immediately comfortable with it. Mate looks way too dated, and Unity was just a complete no go right out of the gate.
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ivar wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:14 am funny thing is, in Microsoft Azure / Office 365 cloud, the GUI changes constantly, so CLI (Powershell or Bash) is the preferred way to administer things..

Maybe old fashioned - but automatable and repeatable :D
And a great way to make absolutely sure I'll never use it. It's only "automatable and repeatable" once you know a ton of commands. No thanks.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Moem wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:51 am
ivar wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:14 am funny thing is, in Microsoft Azure / Office 365 cloud, the GUI changes constantly, so CLI (Powershell or Bash) is the preferred way to administer things..

And a great way to make absolutely sure I'll never use it. It's only "automatable and repeatable" once you know a ton of commands. No thanks.
I agree. These days you almost need a cheat-sheet to remember the commands.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

majpooper wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:56 pm I don't get the Cinnamon is kind of like Windows thing. I have been on Cinnamon since 2013 and the few time I have been on Windows in the last few years I am completely lost. The only way I have made Windows refugees feel comfortable coming over to LM Cinnamon is by putting a shortcut on the desktop for almost everything they ever use. In the past I have labeled the menu button "Start" and even used the Windows icon - not sure that made a difference though it just seems they want/like the shortcuts. For fun I have made Cinnamon "look" like Windows versions from 95 up to 11 but after the first click it is obvious it's not Windows.
It has a similar to windows task bar, start menu, and icons on the task bar. It and KDE are the most "windows like" DE's out there, with XFCE and MATE coming in second. It is not windows but the muscle memory is similar. Just as Gnome would be more familiar with Mac OS users.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:16 pm

These days? I wouldn't know. I've never bothered to learn any CLI commands.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Almost? Only almost? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I must be the cheat sheet queen!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Moem wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:35 pm
What she ⇧ said except, in my case, thanks to my wonderful ADHD (/sarcasm) it's pretty much impossible for me to learn them so I'm heavily dependent on cheat sheets, aliases of CLI commands (and I even have a "cheat sheet" for my aliases stuck alongside the keyboard of my computer), and tutorials I create on how to do things.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Moem wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:35 pm
I am really very basic, and I mean basic like lshw, install, update and upgrade is about my limit.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:41 pm
I keep having to look them up on the internet..... being too lazy/cheap to print them out.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:41 pm

I keep having to look them up on the internet..... being too lazy/cheap to print them out.
Curious. I copy them to files, tutorials, and make aliases because I'm too lazy to keep having to look them up.
Jeannie

antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:41 pm I keep having to look them up on the internet..... being too lazy/cheap to print them out.
Actually I do that sometimes with wikis, I have them open on my tablet next to my KB so I can quickly glance at them while working on the PC or laptop. Yes I could tile the windows as the screen is decent enough resolution but I prefer the tablet in it's book cover standing up at the right angle. If there's a load of commands I want to copy from a site I will tile it or alt-tab between windows.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

I'd rather build mini GUI scripts in Python - or AutoHotkey running in Wine if compatible with the desired task - in order to automate things that would otherwise require too much CLI for my taste. Even build/mod applets if it fits.
But I'm too lazy to keep at it, and as life goes I also don't see a purpose as I also don't see a future (for myself at least).
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:40 pm I am really very basic, and I mean basic like lshw, install, update and upgrade is about my limit.
I think I have used only install and update from these. I don't use those unless I have to, and when I have to, it's because I'm following instructions. So no need to remember them.
Mint has a decent GUI. 8)

Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Moem wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:35 pm .... I've never bothered to learn any CLI commands.
SOme of us old farts (I started with CP/M) didn't have the luxury of a GUI for a while. Nothing but CLI.

However, I don't use CLI usually, though some things are actually easier and quicker that way.

I also know that the real geeks on Linux forums aren't the ones who are always trying to show off their CLI chops.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:13 pm

Curious. I copy them to files, tutorials, and make aliases because I'm too lazy to keep having to look them up.
I will bookmark some of the sites, but usually forget I bookmarked them.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The Muffin Man wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:03 pm Hello my name is The Muffin Man (Hi Muffin Man). I use Linux; I use a GUI.
When sorting out the Acrobat error, I told my better half to open the Windows Task Manager; find AcroCEF.exe and kill it.
She said, "What?"
I showed her how (since it's better to be married than right)
Then I said go to Acrobat; open it and check for updates.
She said, "What?"
I showed her how.
I then said google acrocef.exe and see if there's an update.
She said, "What?"
I showed her how.
Google showed a download on adobe.com.
I asked her if she trusted a google hit for an update? or will it be malware?
She said, "What?"
I showed her how.
She downloaded it and clicked through the wizard, accepting the defaults to install it.
I asked her if she knew if it was going to install anything else (like McCafee) with Acrobat.
She said, "What?"
I showed her how.

Now my better half has an advanced degree with lots of grey matter and common sense. This was not the first time I've worked through things like this, but sometimes, even the Windows metaphors are a black box.
HAHAHAHA! Sounds like my wife! She is very smart but hates computers, and just wants to push a button and it work. I have to do all of this for her. Since I got the youngest a Mac I have no more tech support calls from her.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:07 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:13 pm

I will bookmark some of the sites, but usually forget I bookmarked them.
I also bookmark sites but I've had sites vanish on me so I try to copy the data I need from the site to a Writer doc and save it.
Jeannie

Return to “Chat about Linux”