Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Overcoming Linux Anxiety

Post by Cosmo. »

FellowEsin wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:52 am
How can I overcome this anxiety?
By doing backups! Regularly, at best automatically! At least once per day!
Gotcha!
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

For me, Linux helps my chronic anxiety :D
Hoser Rob
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Hoser Rob »

Cosmo. wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:35 am
FellowEsin wrote:
How can I overcome this anxiety?
By doing backups! Regularly, at best automatically! At least once per day!
+1. And do your homework.

And remember, you'll be saying farewell to virus anxiety.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:19 pm
The best advice I've seen for starting up with Linux came from Joe Collins on Youtube. He recommend getting a cheap, used laptop and fooling around with Linux on it before committing to installing Linux on one's daily driver. That certainly eased my anxiety.
Besides backing up data, when possible (and practical), one can remove the drive(s) from the computer and install another boot drives and install on it. Then, if things go south, with or without the benefit of a hand basket, one can simply reinstall the original drive(s).
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, so, to ensure the safety of one's data, backup your data!

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a computer

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit - System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
NoMoney+learlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoMoney+learlinux »

FellowEsin wrote:
I overcome this anxiety?
It's been 1 year since I suffered an attack and I lost all my data and they still deleted my files in clouds. After my anxiety turned to depression, my friends began to notice that I was taking too many pain pills and alcohol. Then carefully, lovingly, they helped me get medical help. Don't expect it to get worse. A psychiatrist can help you understand if this event triggered something bigger that was predisposed to you.
motoryzen
Level 7
Level 7

Post by motoryzen »

+1 for Lady Fitzgerald's comment.

Joe Collins ( aka Ezeelinux.com ) has been a wonderful help for me and helped me learn how to swim well in the Linux Mint world. He's a very easy to deal with guy and has produced much helpful content over the past 6 years.
Primary rig:
asrock x570 taichi
ryzen 5900x
128GB of kingston fury at 3600mhz 1.44 volts 20-20-20 ( I forgot the rest) 1T timings
corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
8GB rx580 sapphire nitro+ video card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

motoryzen wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:48 pm

Joe Collins ( aka Ezeelinux.com ) has been a wonderful help for me and helped me learn how to swim well in the Linux Mint world. He's a very easy to deal with guy and has produced much helpful content over the past 6 years.
I started my return to Linux with Joe, he was instrumental in me trying Mint. +2
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:37 am
motoryzen wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:48 pm

I started my return to Linux with Joe, he was instrumental in me trying Mint. +2
Joe Collins was also my mentor for getting started with Linux. Pity he got away from the subject so much.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, so, to ensure the safety of one's data, backup your data!

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a computer

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit - System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:58 am

Joe Collins was also my mentor for getting started with Linux. Pity he got away from the subject so much.
I too was introduced to Linux by Joe. A great teacher for newcomers with clear videos, articulate commentaries, and good explanations.
Cliff Coggin
pharmankur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharmankur »

Follow simple rules ---
Prepare separate partitions each for and format as
1) efi,
2) / (root) formatted as brtfs
3) /home (user) formatted as btrfs
4) Windows (C: if any in case of dual boot) - NTFS
5) Data partitions - NTFS if want to access both from Linux and windows , otherwise btrfs

When you will break your system, all you need to do is only format and reinstall / (root)
Select /home as home but do not format , and keep your user name exactly same

Do not mess with windows and data partitions

Always keep your Live USB handy.

That's all. Now you can experiment with Linux very safely without loosing data even if you break system

Moreover ... More you mess up with Linux and recover from that point, more you will learn and more confident you will get. That's the only way about it.
Never stop trying and experimenting

Happy Linuxing
RollyShed
Level 7
Level 7

Post by RollyShed »

pharmankur wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:36 pm
Now you can experiment with Linux very safely without loosing data even if you break system
Don't experiment, just use it to do the jobs (email, web, documents, spreadsheets, learn music, design things, etc. etc.) you have a computer for, and that's not to experiment with.
If however you want to play around with Linux, use a separate computer to do the fiddling on.
pharmankur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharmankur »

RollyShed wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:22 pm
Don't experiment
That's not the way I learnt , though.

Experimenting does not always mean breaking the system. If new user won't explore the system, he won't understand beauty of Linux.
If the user just want to use the given system as it is, he would not have thought of installing Linux in first place.

Linux is extremely customisable, recoverable , safe and reliable ... these are not just words but are facts which have to be seen only through personal experiences.

So let the user try and learn !
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Post by gittiest personITW »

I was introduced to Linux by Microsoft.
Bill offered to take all my data, part of my soul, and a fair amount of cash and in return the computer would have a built-in obsolesence bomb placed in it.
Hoser Rob
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Hoser Rob »

pharmankur wrote:
Follow simple rules ---
Prepare separate partitions each for and format as
1) efi,
2) / (root) formatted as brtfs
3) /home (user) formatted as btrfs
4) Windows (C: if any in case of dual boot) - NTFS
5) Data partitions - NTFS if want to access both from Linux and windows , otherwise btrfs

When you will break your system, all you need to do is only format and reinstall / (root)
Select /home as home but do not format , and keep your user name exactly same

Do not mess with windows and data partitions

Always keep your Live USB handy.

That's all. Now you can experiment with Linux very safely without loosing data even if you break system

Moreover ... More you mess up with Linux and recover from that point, more you will learn and more confident you will get. That's the only way about it.
Never stop trying and experimenting

Happy Linuxing
Wannabe poser twaddle. This is guaranteed to increase newbie anxiety. Btrfs??? Not necessary.

There are 3 things to do to have a less stressful Linux experience, and they've been known for years:

1: Get the right hardware. I.e. as much Intel guts as possible, they have the best Linux support and you won't have to deal with reverse engineered drivers. I'm quite aware that this isn't going to do you much good if you already have hardware that you want to install Linux on, I've been there too. But it still stands.

2: Always install software from the default tested repos unless you have a damn good reason to do otherwise. And just wanting the newest version does not count.

3: Don't mess with the system. The kernel and distro developers know a hell of lot more about this that all those crap bloggers and YouTube 'gurus'. #2 could be a subcategory of this I suppose.
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote:
pharmankur wrote:
Now you can experiment with Linux very safely without loosing data even if you break system
Don't experiment, just use it to do the jobs (email, web, documents, spreadsheets, learn music, design things, etc. etc.) you have a computer for, and that's not to experiment with.
If however you want to play around with Linux, use a separate computer to do the fiddling on.
I agree with you. I go with the defaults as much as possible since I figure the devs know one heck of a lot more than I do. Ext4 seems to work just fine, I have little knowledge of btrfs or why I should even use it. I have zorched a couple of laptops mostly by playing "let's change distros!", I tend to spend my time using what the devs have made standard, which, to date, has worked just fine. I have installed LInux on probably 12-15 laptops (or even more) over the years, and never had a security breach, or other issue by using defaults.
RollyShed
Level 7
Level 7

Post by RollyShed »

pharmankur wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:58 am
RollyShed wrote:
Don't experiment
That's not the way I learnt , though.
The difference between a user and a fiddler.
All the 50+ installations I've done have been for people who want a computer to use to get work done.
If it does the job, don't break it..... and definitely don't let Microsoft near it.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I was never "anxious" about Linux.

Back in the day, it simply wasn't useful to me because it hadn't really developed far enough for normal-person geeks to really use, and also the sort of software I wanted to have really didn't exist.

Once it finally had gotten to the point where probably I could have used it then and there, I began my migration project to get as much of my data as possible converted into modern, libre formats (for example, getting all my fonts converted over from Mac OS Type 1 and Windows Type 1 into OpenType PS) and then once my data was as it needed to be, I migrated directly and never looked back.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:41 am
I was never "anxious" about Linux.

Back in the day, it simply wasn't useful to me because it hadn't really developed far enough for normal-person geeks to really use, and also the sort of software I wanted to have really didn't exist.

Once it finally had gotten to the point where probably I could have used it then and there, I began my migration project to get as much of my data as possible converted into modern, libre formats (for example, getting all my fonts converted over from Mac OS Type 1 and Windows Type 1 into OpenType PS) and then once my data was as it needed to be, I migrated directly and never looked back.
Once again, completely on point. I went through the same to some degree after being run off from Linux back in 2000. It was just not ready for Prime Time back then.
AZgl1800
Level 18
Level 18
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I never had the "Anxiety" feeling with Linux.
When my Win7 became outdated, and me being frustrated with maintaining WinX at work for 20 years, I threw in the towel and installed LM17 Cinnamon and never looked back.

when I have to do maintenance on family PCs, the feeling of "lack of good tools" hits hard, and makes me glad to get back to my own stuff... now LM21 Cinnamon
LM21.x upgraded from 20.3 Cinnamon on an ASUS FX705GM laptop
The Muffin Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Muffin Man »

To help cure anxiety, repave your system (or a vm) after making backups. After you do it a few times you'll learn that if you toast your system, then you can just repave and be right back where you were in about 10-20 minutes.
To help with that, put /home on a different partition.
When I boot a new liveUSB, I rename my original home and install (and format) the OS in /. and "use" the /home partition at /home. I then let the installer do what it does best. Afterwards, I copy over relevant files from the renamed original home.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."

Return to “Chat about Linux”