Linux Rant

Chat about Linux in general
ioi
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Rant

Post by ioi »

From windows to Linux and vice versa windows networking does not work... period
This is not a post for help I am just furious, I wouldn't love Linux if I was not. I have been using Linux for quite a while now that I am touching it's bowels and intestines. Do not even bother with SMB versions on windows, it's not going to be enough. I just need a simple SMB server but still want my bluetooth working but wait, did not get samba to work, that was the main issue now we come to figure Bluetooth does not see certain devices, does not work period with those devices. Blueman? I dunno I don't care, primary problem is network. Servral attempts, I messed bad let's reinstall... ok. Wait this time every boot it's doing fscheck, I didn't have that before, ahh whatever lets move on. Thinkin bypassing auto-negotiate on eth when hands free because Gigabit ethernet works half speed, do not even want to go there...I know where it's headed maybe just check for another gui for BT on store, mehh.

Spending three days and a week, I have two windows and two machines working like charm, full speed on eth, blutooth never had a problem, secured win from it's bloat, good ol times...it just works, I don't want it but it works, so moved on to free the memory with a bit more twekin, almost the same consumption with Linux. It's perfect, in just hours.

Seriously people life is too short, I don't tend to write forums at all, just search read solve etc. Like most of us I guess, but come on people, really. I have a machine that work with win10 that came with vista like clockwork. After all the grind in Linux I had made me solve problems on windows like its nothing. Life is too short and I am not building a datacenter. Just sayin.
Last edited by Moem on Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved this into the Chat area, since it's not a request for support with Mint.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Rant

Post by Pjotr »

Good God.... The fellow became a forum member just for posting this ranting blurb.

This forum is no bloody dump for your inept frustrations. It's a place for mutual technical assistance with Linux in general and Linux Mint in particular. And for some additional convivial small talk, if we feel like it.

What do you think we are, psychiatrists? If you need to vent, kick your dustbin or something.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21 Vanessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Life is too short to be short
ioi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ioi »

Sometimes you have to admit the truth, the earth is not flat, 30 years later linux still has samba issues. My ineptness nothing but your vision, your moderation is less of a help to others. Shits got to work its year 2022 with samba get it? I have better things to do. Sometimes it ain't worth the effort.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

ioi wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:26 am
I don't tend to write forums at all, just search read solve etc. Like most of us I guess
Never play any game, you will loose every time :mrgreen: . If your guess would have only a minimalist basis, then the forum would not exist, because a forum needs also somebody, who writes. But if this forum does not exist, how did you find it? :o
Gotcha!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Cosmo. wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:12 am
If your guess would have only a minimalist basis, then the forum would not exist, because a forum needs also somebody, who writes. But if this forum does not exist, how did you find it? :o
I sense the presence of magical powers.... :lol:
Venus Flytrap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Venus Flytrap »

I brought out the buttered popcorn while reading this thread.
This is just excellent. Carry on!
System: Mint Cinnamon 21. CPU: Intel E7600. RAM: 4GB. Video: ATI HD 4830. SSD: Kingston KC600 512GB (boot-drive) & Kingston A400, 480GB (backup).
ioi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ioi »

Venus Flytrap wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:57 am
I brought out the buttered popcorn while reading this thread.
This is just excellent. Carry on!
Someones got the point, it's all a story otherwise what is the point, white/black, red/blue, win/loose, just gotto have some fun, and it's little bit of "thanks guys I was around for a while, but I give up" it's just a choice, not that anything is right or wrong. This princess is like one of them girls you keep around but it's never going anywhere, you make some use out of it but gotto maintain it real bad so no commitment. She does what she does it's all dandy but if I did what this trick wanted me to do all the time, then...you know whos the trick
billyswong
Level 4
Level 4

Post by billyswong »

The auto detection of SMB server in intranet is sort of broken in Linux including Linux Mint, perhaps since Microsoft abandoned and disabled SMBv1 for "security". Opening it if one know the address is still working great in my experience.

The fscheck every boot sounds like you messed up your computer configuration.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

billyswong wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:45 am
Or, he's got a failing drive.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
motoryzen
Level 7
Level 7

Post by motoryzen »

Blueman? I dunno I don't care
Ok. Let's start with that. Blueman is what is meant to replace blueberry and other bluetooth related apps in Linux Mint as the team has confirmed Blueman by design is supposed to do a better job at detecting a wider variety of bluetooth devices

This article summarizes it pretty well I think

https://<blogspam removed>/linux-mint-21-to- ... 0Blueberry.

So..nuke blueberry and install blueman

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge blueberry -y && sudo apt install blueman -y
Also ( as usual for so many that come here * sigh* ) ya did'nt even READ the blue font link above where you post replies " how to get help" ..specifically step five talks about posting your system information so that it will save everyone, yourself included , MUCH time wasting speculation.

It doesn't show any personality identifiable info and often can give a big hint as to what's wrong on certain problems.

We have no idea if when you mentioned the " Windows just works" whole deal if you're dual booting windows and Linux from the same physical drive or not. This CAN matter.
Primary rig:
asrock x570 taichi
ryzen 5900x
128GB of kingston fury at 3600mhz 1.44 volts 20-20-20 ( I forgot the rest) 1T timings
corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
8GB rx580 sapphire nitro+ video card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

motoryzen wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:48 pm
ya did'nt even READ the blue font link above where you post replies " how to get help"
True, but on the other hand, they're explicitly not asking for help.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

One could ask: what does this pointless thread achieve, besides creating confusion and annoyances? It's the verbal equivalent of mud.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

Portreve wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:28 pm
billyswong wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:45 am
Or, he's got a failing drive.
I recently upgraded my system to Mint 21 and have noticed that whilst I'm being asked for the LUKS password, there is a message about pressing Ctrl-C to cancel all filesystem checks. However, I don't think that it's actually doing any fsck stuff. There's certainly no progress counter that gets updated. The message is simply there.
all41
Level 18
Level 18

Post by all41 »

Spending three days and a week, I have two windows and two machines working like charm
:shock:
Seriously people life is too short
:P :lol:
Everything is difficult before it gets easy.
motoryzen
Level 7
Level 7

Post by motoryzen »

True, but on the other hand, they're explicitly not asking for help.
:D Yeah I noticed. I was just hoping to nudge the OP in the direction of actually ..trying (shrugs) :lol:
Primary rig:
asrock x570 taichi
ryzen 5900x
128GB of kingston fury at 3600mhz 1.44 volts 20-20-20 ( I forgot the rest) 1T timings
corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
8GB rx580 sapphire nitro+ video card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
The Muffin Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Muffin Man »

I guess they need to comment out the code that specifically says
"Don't work for user ioi"
and recompile.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
ioi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ioi »

The Muffin Man wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:45 pm
I guess they need to comment out the code that specifically says
"Don't work for user ioi"
and recompile.
LOL Yeah I did sometimes felt that way, but it all starts out when you want more out of the system, so it's kind of like asking for it with an OS originally designed as a bare bones server system. Gotto get your hands dirty. MS is a pain in the butt when it comes to Linux I know...Just like Apple did with every little thing. Don't want to play along, probably even won't consider. Surprising they got WSL n all now.

I didn't want to go the smbv1 rout, it probably does work. Many sources do not consider it safe though.
RollyShed
Level 7
Level 7

Post by RollyShed »

ioi wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:35 pm
MS is a pain in the butt when it comes to Linux I know...
MS has nothing to do with the Linux we use so what is that about?
ioi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ioi »

RollyShed wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:56 pm
ioi wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:35 pm
MS is a pain in the butt when it comes to Linux I know...
MS has nothing to do with the Linux we use so what is that about?
SMB in particular.

Return to “Chat about Linux”