Why would removing a package force the install of others?

Chat about Linux in general
swiftlinuxcreator
Level 2
Level 2

Why would removing a package force the install of others?

Post by swiftlinuxcreator »

For developing my LMDE-based distro Swift Linux, I'm trying to remove the zenity packages and the libdecoration0 package. In the post-installation setup, the "apt-get purge" command works as I'd expect. But in the chroot environment in my modified version of the mintConstructor remastering script (the one that generates the ISO file), things work differently.

In this chroot environment only, removing libdecoration0 forces the installation of many KDE packages that I don't want, and removing the zenity packages forces the installation of many Xfce packages that I don't want. (Keep in mind that Swift Linux is a lightweight distro that uses IceWM and ROX pinboard for the DE, just like antiX Linux.)

Why is there a trigger for these forced installations? Is there a way I can disable this trigger?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Why would removing a package force the install of others

Post by xenopeek »

[Moved here by moderator]
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Why would removing a package force the install of others

Post by Monsta »

swiftlinuxcreator wrote:In this chroot environment only, removing libdecoration0 forces the installation of many KDE packages that I don't want
Check if fusion-icon is installed there. It must have something to do with it depending on

Code: Select all

compiz-gtk | compiz-kde | compiz-gnome
swiftlinuxcreator wrote:and removing the zenity packages forces the installation of many Xfce packages that I don't want.
Check if shiki-wise-theme is installed there. The evil dependencies this time are

Code: Select all

shiki-colors-metacity-theme | shiki-colors-xfwm-theme

P.s. this is actually more or less technical question, and moving it to the chat section just because it's also about making some other distro is not a good solution, in my opinion.

Return to “Chat about Linux”