Chat about Linux in general
smc170
Level 1
Level 1

What makes mint better?

Post by smc170 »

Hello fellows,

I've been very torn recently about using the new Ubuntu and mint 13

I love the whole customization of cinnamon and how modular it's becoming, but at the same time, the latest unity is so sleek and integrated.

So asking the community, what made you go to mints cinnamon instead of ubuntus unity?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What makes mint better?

Post by monkeyboy »

smc170 wrote:Hello fellows,

I've been very torn recently about using the new Ubuntu and mint 13

I love the whole customization of cinnamon and how modular it's becoming, but at the same time, the latest unity is so sleek and integrated.

So asking the community, what made you go to mints cinnamon instead of ubuntus unity?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
A distro is more then the DE, its also the community and the attitude presented by the staff which I like better here at Mint. Beyond that its just a hoot watching Mate and Cinnamon evolve at such a rapid rate.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

tbo i really enjoy using unity. mint13 cinnamon is also very good, but if there was a mint dash and mint HUD ill be 100% mint all the way, but because of the HUD and dash/lens I have been using unity more so over mint13, again, just my personal choice.
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG laptop ~ LM19.2 - ZorinOS 15 - Win 10

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits »

Mint is ubuntu for human beings. :P

Mint is intended to be a more user-friendly and out-of-the-box-ready version of Ubuntu.
Mint is non-commercial and strips out the ubuntu commerical stuff.
Mint is more about giving the non-expert user a usable OS.
Mint seems to choose apps that are the best available rather than being only open-source or business friends of Canonical.
Because Mint is released a couple of months after the latest Ubuntu, they have time to work-around some of the more hubristic excesses of Canonical. :wink: :lol:
Mint may leave a better taste in your mouth: the community is much smaller than ubuntu's but seems friendlier to me.

Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

monkeyboy wrote: A distro is more then the DE, its also the community and the attitude presented by the staff which I like better here at Mint. Beyond that its just a hoot watching Mate and Cinnamon evolve at such a rapid rate.
I agree.And what I really appreciate is that the developers actually listen to the users...This does not happen at you-know-where.
And yes,it's also fun watching the evolution of this OS and it's DE's and knowing the people here helped with that..With Ubuntu and with Windows,I felt like it was pointless to offer input.
Here,the devs want input. :mrgreen:
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.

Diekan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Diekan »

What turned me off was the disregard for the end user - from Canonical.

To me, they are using the Ubuntu community to test their Tablet / Smart Phone OS. Canonical is a company, no doubts about that, which means that in the end they have to care about their bottom line (making money)... again nothing wrong with that either. But, I think what a lot of users find insulting is that they are beta testing their products, without being open and honest about it, on a community that - they seem to forget - is a bit smarter than your "average" computer user.

I chose Mint because I was sick of Ubuntu's every-six-month-rush-rush-rush-realses. There's no sense in it.

Now, I don't necessarily thing Unity is a bad thing. A lot of hard core users hate it because it's change... and it is human nature to resist change. Do I think Canonical is going in the right direction? Sure, why not. Evolution is necessary for progression (you can quote me on that ;) ). But, to release a version of LINUX without giving the user an OPTION (which is a synonym for Linux), which the mentality, “you'll beta test this for us and like it!”

I actually installed Ubuntu on my laptop and quite frankly it runs smooth... BUT as I have found. I can't install my Windows games without issues... so as we speak... Mint is going on the laptop. I will keep my Ubuntu partition on this desktop, because I've always like it. But, Mint is where it's at now.

And, yes, the Ubuntu community IS much bigger... but in the grand scheme it's pretty... I'll just come out and say it – worthless. You have to remember Ubuntu is huge and 80% of the now users can't tell the difference between Gnome and Firefox. Then those more expert users are so worn of answering the same questions over and over – that quite frankly the Ubuntu community (in MY opinion) isn't as good as the Mint – from what I've seen so far.

I know I am sounding negative, but that's not my intention. I just think Mint is a better quality OS that keeps true to the most rudimentary element of Linux – choice.

Canonical was – at that time – the best chance for Linux to really break through and challenge the close sourced options – but they blew it. And, I am guessing they may have set Linux back. BUT – then again I could be wrong. Perhaps their introduction into the tablet and smartphone world will bring more notice to Linux? Who knows....

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Of course, you do realize that mint is ubuntu underneath and has the same 6 month releases since it uses each new version of ubuntu for the next release...and many of the initial bugs (which eventually get smoothed in time) transfer into mint as well.. :wink:

But having run unity on ubuntu for awhile, i didn't really mind it at all but recently realized i preferred something a bit more conventional....i like cinnamon a lot and have used mint many times but currently running Zorin 6 which i think is awesome (they use gnome 3 fallback, awn panel and gno menu which by default is set to a windows 7 style slab menu to attract windows newbies but there is many other slab designs one can pick in the gno menu settings)...and i am going to install the final of it when it is released (currently in RC)...

It's laid out much like mint, and also has all codecs installed, and lots of refinements, has cute compiz effects by default, and lots of other refinements that gives it a great feel :)

However, i do still prefer the mint community over the Zorin one...it's a great distro...very smooth, polished and professional looking but the Zorin community (though friendly) is kind of light on the participation...

Linux Mint is a really fine distro and i am still very fond of it...though i am afraid, Zorin has captured "my heart" :lol:

I would say, the if Zorin wasn't around, i would be back on mint now as it (next to Zorin) with the cinnamon desktop is my second favorite distro...

Return to “Chat about Linux”