Installing Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04 problems

Chat about Linux in general
Thotheolh
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04 problems

Post by Thotheolh »

I decided to install Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04 following this website: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-instal ... 11-10.html

All seems well and nice until when it needs to update and run some 'Oneconf' service and things starts to get irritating. Update Manager / Ubuntu Software Center keeps telling me that LinuxMint 12 package is not found and Oneconf service's python codes for _get_distro() caused an ImportError as it thought that the system is LinuxMint 12 instead of Ubuntu and thus failed.

One of the error messages that illustrates the problem is 'Sorry, LinuxMint 12 has experienced an internal error'.

Why does the system now thinks it is LinuxMint 12 instead of Ubuntu when clearly 'uname -a' shows that it's 'Ubuntu'.

To me, the problem is that installing Cinnamon would somehow convince the system it is not Ubuntu but LinuxMint 12. Maybe if the Cinnamon installation can leave the system naming as Ubuntu instead of LinuxMint 12, it would help alot. Most of the errors in my view are not incompatibilities but simply mistaking of the names of the system and thus crashing... else it would usually be fine.

Can some devs look at handling the naming and ensuring that installing Cinnamon wouldn't turn the name to LinuxMint 12 unless the desktop is actually LinuxMint 12.

Thanks.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Installing Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04 problems

Post by Rehdon »

AFAIK you should install Cinnamon under Ubuntu 12.04 as explained here:

http://www.unixmen.com/howto-install-ci ... -pangolin/

i.e. using a different repository.

Rehdon
Thotheolh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04 problems

Post by Thotheolh »

Thanks. I reinstalled the OS and got the ppa as stated in the link and it's going good without any need to modify anything manually for now.

Return to “Chat about Linux”