Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: UP4 / 201208

Chat about Linux in general
Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: UP4 / 201208

Post by Schoelje »

TeaSwigger wrote:Just found another misbehavior: I tried changing the default app for .flac audio files (Properties > Edit file type > move up, for example, vlc on top, as default to open .flac file type) but user settings are ignored: Amarok remains default every time.
Did you do so for flac and x-flac+ogg (don't know if that changes anything)?
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Yikes! You should've advised that with giant animated red flags. Just using gtkchtheme seg' fault'ed / crashed plasma, everything running therewith and finally X. :shock:

...I'll try setting default for flac-ogg in a minute, but setting flac really should work...
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Schiit Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, mocp, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

This time gtk-chtheme didn't crash the works, only Firefox. It does change the GTK themes as expected though.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Schiit Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Schoelje wrote:Did you do so for flac and x-flac+ogg (don't know if that changes anything)?
No unfortunately user settings for flac won't stick regardless of x-flac+ogg settings, it goes right back to Amarok as default.

Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Schoelje »

Try this for your GTK problems:

Code: Select all

cd $HOME
mv .gtkrc-2.0-kde .gtkrc-2.0-kde.bak && ln -s .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 .gtkrc-2.0-kde
I'm afraid I cannot reproduce your flac issue: after changing associations, flac files were played in VLC.
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Schoelje wrote:I'm afraid I cannot reproduce your flac issue: after changing associations, flac files were played in VLC.
Hmm. I just tried changing associations on two other types, .png and jpg. The .png changes worked fine but the .jpg changes didn't stick. Weird...
Schoelje wrote:Try this for your GTK problems:

cd $HOME
mv .gtkrc-2.0-kde .gtkrc-2.0-kde.bak && ln -s .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 .gtkrc-2.0-kde
Brilliant! Thank you. That solved the issue. KDE control center's GTK Appearance settings are working perfectly now. 8)

Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Schoelje »

For the first upgrade to UP5 results and not to copy messages in this forum:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 33#p613533
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

i've seen it :D great job Schoelje!! 201208 upgrades clean :D

[ bliss of ignorance ]
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Schoelje wrote:I'm afraid I cannot reproduce your flac issue: after changing associations, flac files were played in VLC.
An update on the file associations saga with an observation: after purging Amarok, the flac and other audio file associations are setting and sticking like they should.

Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Schoelje »

@zerozero (or anyone else)
Did you upgrade to UP5 testing?
If so, would you like to test something for me?

Create a new user.
How does the desktop look like?
Is the network manager working?

You understand that I didn't get what I expected: the default Debian desktop and a network manager that I couldn't get to function (while the old, upgraded, users have no problem - so, it's a configuration issue).
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

i can only now test this:
- my system (the one i been using since day one, updated to testing almost straight away) has that behavior (well part of it: networkmanager works with a new user)
new user created now for the test
i have in the laptop the liveDVD (201208), very quickly what i can that changes:
- icon-set (there's no Oxymentary)
- splash screen (changes from lmdekde to joy)
- the wallpaper changes to joy as well;
this might not be very accurate because this system is at the moment very distant already from vanilla .

[ bliss of ignorance ]
Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Schoelje »

- icon-set (there's no Oxymentary)
Edit these files:

kate $HOME/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals
For new users:

kdesudo kate /usr/share/mintkde-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kdeglobals
Search for:
[Icons]
Theme=oxygen

- splash screen (changes from lmdekde to joy)

kdesudo kate /usr/share/desktop-base/profiles/kde-profile/share/config/ksplashrc
[KSplash]
Engine=KSplashX
Theme=lmdekde

- the wallpaper changes to joy as well

dpkg-divert --add --rename --divert /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js.divert /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js
dpkg-divert --add --rename --divert /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/10-desktop-base.js.divert /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/10-desktop-base.js
- and you forgot the fortune cookies

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type bool --set /desktop/linuxmint/terminal/show_fortunes false
These issues will be solved in the next version.
But now I've got bigger fish to fry: the live version is not taking the upgrade well, there is even some coding involved, so I hope I will be ready by the time UP5 goes official.
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote: But now I've got bigger fish to fry: the live version is not taking the upgrade well, there is even some coding involved, so I hope I will be ready by the time UP5 goes official.
that is really priority number one, i dare to say. the system you putted together is running 5stars and i would like to see it going and testing it further :lol:

[ bliss of ignorance ]
Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Schoelje »

It seems that I've ironed out all issues for UP5...but one...
Hoping that someone on this forum could help me out, I've created this KDE specific problem in the KDE section but I would like to mention this here as well if you missed it.

It's a Kickoff launcher quirk that only happens when running live:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&p=614333
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Mentioning a hiccup with Akregator, the KDE feed reader. It hasn't happened again and I can't figure how to replicate it, but I'm mentioning what I did to deal with it in case anyone else should have the problem. I had used my data from a previous install of KDE. One day the time column went missing. It couldn't be restored. Re-checking to display the time column on the feed display did nothing. This also meant that the feeds could not be sorted chronologically, which can be a problem. I exported the feeds (File > Export Feeds) then removed the akregator folder in ~/.kde/share/apps and the config file akregatorrc in ~/.kde/share/config. Then I re-started akregator and imported my feeds (File > Import Feeds). The date column returned and it's been fine since.

arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje

Brief question for you or anyone testing UP5+KDE. I have a spare PC that i use for trying out distros etc. Currently I am running Unofficial LMDE KDE UP4 on it (amongst other OSs). It is just great - no problems whatsoever - at least with what I have tried.

I would like to try and install UP5 and KDE. I have been following the UP5 testing thread for a few days but that seems pretty-well centred on cinnamon, mate etc. What would be the best way to try to get UP5 and KDE running. Should I just follow the UP5 threads repos etc then try for a KDE install on top? Not worried if I bork anything - it is just for fun.
Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Schoelje »

Zerorzero has updated to UP5 without a problem and so did I, but...for the next iso (with UP5) I have created 2 deb files with LMDE KDE specific configuration and artwork to replace the current packages.

I will upload these deb files and a bash script for the adventurous among you that will remove the obsolete packages, install the LMDE KDE packages and upgrade your system in one go.

If you would like to try that out, please wait a day or two.
Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Schoelje »

Upgrade the unofficial LMDE KDE to UP5 testing

Okay, this is for those that'd like to try out the testing UP5 repos (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=109005).
So be aware of the fact that upgrading to these repositories might brake a thing or two.
I've upgraded without any trouble and so did zerozero but that is not a guarantee.

Nuf said, here's the link to the things you need:
http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde- ... ade.tar.gz

Unpack and run the bash script.
This will remove some obsolete packages, install the custom made LMDE KDE deb files and upgrade your system in one go.

This will also work when the official UP5 comes out and the deb files will be be included in the next iso files.

Until UP5 goes live, I will not mention this patch at the opening message of this thread.

If you try it out, please post back the result.
Good luck!
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng »

@Schoelje:
Is this mostly just for folks who are running your ISO? I know when I do a d-u I'm given a list of outdated apps that includes quite a few KDE apps. Granted, I'm running KDE bolted on top of the base LMDE but I'm wondering about the automated removal.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!
Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Schoelje »

This is really just limited to the unofficial LMDE KDE.
The packages that are being removed are some packages from the Linux Mint KDE repositories and I suppose you don't have them.
I'd not recommend using this patch on anything else then LMDE KDE.

Return to “Chat about Linux”