The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Chat about Linux in general
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by zerozero » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:18 pm

to be honest this upload surprises me a bit first because we heard/read several times that 4.9.x would be skipped altogether and the focus would be 4.10 (or the upstream version at the time)
also i saw in the last month several new (and this is remarkable) packagers discussing 4.10 (some of them with -apparently- good packages already)

this upload yesterday to qt-kde can be a transition to easier upload 4.10, can be the first "draft" and more pkg added in the coming days.

yes, might take some time to be available in lmde-kde :shock:
Image

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Francesco312
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Francesco312 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:39 pm

I've been using LMDE-KDE for some months and it's really great! Thank you for your efforts!

I have some problems, though, with the DDM, since I have an NVidia card (geforce 9600 GSO), but DDM tells me I can't install any driver for it, even though I can (through apt).

Running DDM from terminal, I think I have found something which I hope could be of help:
DEBUG Command to execute: dpkg -s nvidia-detect | grep Status
DEBUG Command to execute: nvidia-detect | grep nvidia- | tr -d ' '
INFO nvidia-glx
DEBUG Command to execute: apt-cache policy nvidia-glx
WARNING Package not found: nvidia-glx
DEBUG Command to execute: apt-cache policy nvidia-glx | grep Candidate
WARNING Driver not installable: nvidia-glx
DEBUG Command to execute: apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
WARNING Package not found: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
DEBUG Command to execute: apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-nouveau | grep Candidate
WARNING Driver not installable: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
DEBUG Command to execute: apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
WARNING Package not found: xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
DEBUG Command to execute: apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-fbdev | grep Candidate
WARNING Driver not installable: xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
DEBUG Command to execute: apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-vesa
WARNING Package not found: xserver-xorg-video-vesa
DEBUG Command to execute: apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-vesa | grep Candidate
WARNING Driver not installable: xserver-xorg-video-vesa
I tried to run some of those commands on my own, and found:

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache policy nvidia-glx
nvidia-glx:
  Installato: 304.64-4
  Candidato:  304.64-4
  Tabella versione:
 *** 304.64-4 0
        500 http://ftp.proxad.net/debian/ testing/non-free amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     304.48-1 0
        500 http://lmde-mirror-fr-1.wedrop.it/latest/ testing/non-free amd64 Packages
As you can see, since my version is localized, the output is in Italian, so "grep Candidate" fails, I guess, to find the correct row, which is actually there: "Candidato: 304.64-4".

HTH; if you need any further information, I'll be glad to help.

Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Schoelje » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Francesco312 wrote:As you can see, since my version is localized, the output is in Italian, so "grep Candidate" fails, I guess, to find the correct row, which is actually there: "Candidato: 304.64-4".
Please, post your DDM issues here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=113559

Mind you: DDM is still in development and as you found out, it's not localized yet.
It's. another thing on my priority list.

User avatar
mockturtl
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by mockturtl » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:42 pm

zerozero wrote:i won't have much time until monday, if someone has better luck please share
No trouble after UP6 -> sid (500MB).

Code: Select all

$ inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
           deb http://http.debian.net/debian sid main contrib non-free
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qt-kde.list
           deb http://qt-kde.debian.net/debian experimental-snapshots main
$ safe-upgrade -t experimental-snapshots
136 packages upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 105 MB of archives. After unpacking 2,838 kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y

Code: Select all

$ konsole -v
Qt: 4.8.2
KDE Development Platform: 4.9.5
Konsole: 2.9.5
Image

User avatar
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:42 am
Location: CA

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by TeaSwigger » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:02 am

Anyone know much about WINE? I've just tried using it for the first time in my LMDE KDE UP6 install. 2 issues:

1) No sound. No driver in winecfg, none to select.

2) After installing Exact Audio Copy, which I have used successfully in wine in the past, it starts then freezes permanently. You can't see the mouse over the app. You have to kill wine.

Any ideas? :?:
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 19 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - ASUS Xonar ST - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, mocp, kid3, calibre, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc

User avatar
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:42 am
Location: CA

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by TeaSwigger » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 am

In some looking into the above, whether relevant or not I observe two things about this install of wine that may be odd: there is no wineserver (don't see it in /usr/bin either) and according to Synaptic libwine-alsa is recommended but isn't installed since it isn't available.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 19 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - ASUS Xonar ST - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, mocp, kid3, calibre, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc

Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Schoelje » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:03 am

TeaSwigger wrote:In some looking into the above, whether relevant or not I observe two things about this install of wine that may be odd: there is no wineserver (don't see it in /usr/bin either) and according to Synaptic libwine-alsa is recommended but isn't installed since it isn't available.
Sorry, TeaSwigger, I've totally missed these posts (no email notification either).
I'm afraid I haven't had much experience with wine. So, I can't help you there, but maybe the homepage of the debian Wine packager might help you: http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/

Stel
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:30 am

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Stel » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 am

I installed LMDE KDE UP6 and until now everything works perfectly! (except for Device Driver Manager that doesn't recognize my AMD card, which doesn't matter to me, since i use open drivers anyway)

Thank you very much for your work. :D

jlsmith722
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:38 am

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by jlsmith722 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:16 pm

I am having a problem setting up auto login in the unofficial LMDE-KDE. I check the box to enable autologin in system settings>login screen>convenience. But then when I reboot the loading stops and displays

Code: Select all

Xsessions: unable to launch ""X session --- "" not found. falling back to default session.
When I click on ok, the KDE desktop finishes loading.

If I then uncheck the autologin box it comes in to the login screen as usual. I have not been able to find anything resembling that statement in kdmrc or related files.
any ideas?

jim
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Schoelje » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:36 pm

jlsmith722 wrote:I am having a problem setting up auto login in the unofficial LMDE-KDE. I check the box to enable autologin in system settings>login screen>convenience. But then when I reboot the loading stops and displays

Code: Select all

Xsessions: unable to launch ""X session --- "" not found. falling back to default session.
When I click on ok, the KDE desktop finishes loading.

If I then uncheck the autologin box it comes in to the login screen as usual. I have not been able to find anything resembling that statement in kdmrc or related files.
any ideas?

jim
I'm sorry, but I'm not able to reproduce your issue.
To see what you're running, could you post the output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -F

jlsmith722
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:38 am

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by jlsmith722 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Sure can Schoelje

Code: Select all

lmde-kde:Documents$ inxi -F
System:    Host lmde-kde Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro LinuxMint 1 debian
CPU:       Dual core AMD Turion II P540 (-MCP-) cache 2048 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips 9576.56 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 800.00 MHz (2) 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series] X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series] driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 01:05.1
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1 Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver ath9k BusID: 02:00.0
           Card-2 Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI at port 2000 BusID: 03:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 336.0GB (1.1% used) 1: /dev/sda ST9320325AS 320.1GB 
           2: USB /dev/sdb Multi 15.9GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 9.9G used: 5.8G (62%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 9.9G used: 5.8G (62%) fs: ext4 
           ID:/home size: 50G used: 3.5G (8%) fs: ext4 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 67.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes 132 Uptime 1 min Memory 343.3/7749.9MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23
and this only happens when I have checked the enable autologin box.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Schoelje » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:43 pm

Have you installed the fglrx drivers (with or without the use of DDM)?

jlsmith722
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:38 am

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by jlsmith722 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Just the generic drivers. The Radeon 4000 series is no longer supported. I tried the fglrx route on a different install on the same box and got nothing. Same with ddm.

Jim
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Schoelje » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:15 am

I ask this because you had an X error, and that made me suspicious.
You already know that your card is no longer supported by the fglrx drivers. So, I'm afraid you're convicted to eternal manual login.

jlsmith722
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:38 am

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by jlsmith722 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks for your attention Schoelje. You may be right but I'll keep plugging away at it for a while.


thanks again

Jim
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Schoelje » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:10 am

jlsmith722 wrote:Thanks for your attention Schoelje. You may be right but I'll keep plugging away at it for a while.
Don't forget to post back when you find a solution. It might help others as well.

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Jesse654 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Schoelje, thanks to you and all the testers for these releases.

I just installed LMDE KDE UP6 SR1 201212 32-bit on an old machine. (I had tried this before, back in September, with 201208, but I didn't have a lot of time to play with it.)

After install and reboot, I am not able to log in. I know that arjay and others had such an issue back in October where you have to click the user name, then enter the password. I tried this (selecting the user name with the mouse or via Tab), but could not log in. I also tried a console login; that didn't work either. I know I can go into recovery mode and reset the password, but I wanted to give you a chance to impart any wisdom :) before I did that. (I might have reset the password back in Sep, but I don't remember if it worked or not. :oops: )

Like I said, this is an old machine (700 MHz, 512 Meg RAM). I installed via USB after booting via Plop Boot Manager. I tried booting with both the PAE and non-PAE kernels; both booted fine, just no luck with the login.

There are a couple dozen info/warning/error messages visible via Ctr-Alt-F7, beginning with:

Code: Select all

(process:142): GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
and ending with:

Code: Select all

[FAIL] startpar: service(s) returned failure:  plymouth ... failed!

Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Schoelje » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Jesse654 wrote:Schoelje, thanks to you and all the testers for these releases.

I just installed LMDE KDE UP6 SR1 201212 32-bit on an old machine. (I had tried this before, back in September, with 201208, but I didn't have a lot of time to play with it.)

After install and reboot, I am not able to log in. I know that arjay and others had such an issue back in October where you have to click the user name, then enter the password. I tried this (selecting the user name with the mouse or via Tab), but could not log in. I also tried a console login; that didn't work either. I know I can go into recovery mode and reset the password, but I wanted to give you a chance to impart any wisdom :) before I did that. (I might have reset the password back in Sep, but I don't remember if it worked or not. :oops: )

Like I said, this is an old machine (700 MHz, 512 Meg RAM). I installed via USB after booting via Plop Boot Manager. I tried booting with both the PAE and non-PAE kernels; both booted fine, just no luck with the login.

There are a couple dozen info/warning/error messages visible via Ctr-Alt-F7, beginning with:

Code: Select all

(process:142): GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
and ending with:

Code: Select all

[FAIL] startpar: service(s) returned failure:  plymouth ... failed!
You can ignore the above warning and error: most people will have them (if not all).
I don't know Plop Boot Manager, but I do know that Plymouth needs grub or burg.

Were you able to run unofficial LMDE KDE live, and that didn't give any problems?
If so, please go into recovery mode and login as root.
Now run the following command and see what happens (I didn't try this, so bare with me):

Code: Select all

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
startx
This should start an X-session for root.
If all goes well, you should be logged in as root and have your desktop (and try and change your password the way you're used to).
If not, copy these files on an usb and attach them when you post back:

Code: Select all

/var/log/syslog
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
Good luck!

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Jesse654 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Schoelje wrote:
Jesse654 wrote:...
You can ignore the above warning and error: most people will have them (if not all).
I don't know Plop Boot Manager, but I do know that Plymouth needs grub or burg.

Were you able to run unofficial LMDE KDE live, and that didn't give any problems?
If so, please go into recovery mode and login as root.
Now run the following command and see what happens (I didn't try this, so bare with me):

Code: Select all

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
startx
This should start an X-session for root.
If all goes well, you should be logged in as root and have your desktop (and try and change your password the way you're used to).
If not, copy these files on an usb and attach them when you post back:

Code: Select all

/var/log/syslog
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
Good luck!
Plop Boot Manager was just for installing LMDE from USB. It was on a CD, so I booted to the CD, which then allowed me to boot off the USB (since the computer has no such native functionality).

Running live worked okay (a bit slow), but I didn't do much looking around, just the install. The only (minor) issue was a blank (black) login screen. I pushed a few keys, including <Enter>, and I'm guessing <Enter> logged me into the live session.


(I hope the power outage last night in the middle of trying this stuff didn't skew the results.)
This morning, I (again) went into recovery mode as root: No /etc/X11/xorg.conf exists.

startx brought up a broken session with a KDE Crash Handler window giving "Plasma Desktop Shell closed unexpectedly" and a segmentation fault. On the console there was "FATAL: Module mach64 not found." The good news is that the Mint Welcome application came up and looked very nice. :)

I rebooted via SysRq, went back into recovery mode as root, and got the files you asked for:
Attachments
syslog.doc
(295.37 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Xorg.0.log.doc
(40.8 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

Schoelje
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by Schoelje » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:19 pm

I found this line in your Xorg.0.conf:

Code: Select all

[  2207.480] [drm] failed to load kernel module "mach64"
drm is the default Plymouth driver. So, let's kill Plymouth and see if you can login after that.

Boot and login as root again.

Code: Select all

nano /etc/default/grub
Change the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line like this:

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
And remove the line that begins with

Code: Select all

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=...
Now, update grub

Code: Select all

update-grub
Ctrl-X / y / enter

Code: Select all

nano /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
comment the line with "drm"

Code: Select all

#drm
Reboot and pray...

Locked

Return to “Chat about Linux”