The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6 SR1

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoelje

Re: The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6

Post by Schoelje »

@jjaythomas

I did a clean install of the unofficial LMDE Xfce and I got what you described which was described in detail here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=73102

Unfortunately, I did not find a solution yet to install cups-pdf

However, it did install when I added it to the SR iso.
I'll investigate further
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Now, that was weird...
First, I downloaded cups-pdf.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get download cups-pdf
dpkg was locked. So, I did a brute and uncivilized:

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
I disabled my network and then:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
which gave me:
Setting up cups-pdf (2.6.1-6) ...
[ ok ] Reloading Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
CUPS failed to reload its configuration!
Then got rid of cups-pdf

sudo apt-get purge cups-pdf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  cups-pdf*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
After this operation, 221 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 152931 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing cups-pdf ...
Purging configuration files for cups-pdf ...
Processing triggers for cups ...
[ ok ] Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/mint/.cache/keyring-TT42zA/pkcs11: No such file or directory
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/mint/.cache/keyring-TT42zA/pkcs11: No such file or directory
The gnome-keyring warning lead me here (but seems unrelated to the cups-pdf bug):
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73960
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=649408
And a workaround here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... comments/5

sudo sed -i.bak 's/OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;/OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;XFCE;/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-*.desktop
I did the workaround, logged out and back in, and I installed the downloaded deb.

sudo dpkg -i cups*.deb
Selecting previously unselected package cups-pdf.
(Reading database ... 152897 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking cups-pdf (from cups-pdf_2.6.1-6_i386.deb) ...
Setting up cups-pdf (2.6.1-6) ...
Processing triggers for cups ...
[ ok ] Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
Now I could reconnect to my network and install the other packages:

sudo apt-get install bluez-cups python-cups python-cupshelpers openprinting-ppds
It seems that cups-pdf has been installed (and 'en passant' solved the gnome-keyring issue)!
17xeros

Post by 17xeros »

thank you wayne128 for the instructions.
Just switched on the pc and the moment I was typing the password to login I thought "this is the last time I'm doing this".
Alas login screen took revenge ....sensing the approaching elimination refuses to log me in telling me "incorrect password".
Anyway thanks again for taking the time to respond to such trivial thing.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

17xeros wrote:thank you wayne128 for the instructions.
Just switched on the pc and the moment I was typing the password to login I thought "this is the last time I'm doing this".
Alas login screen took revenge ....sensing the approaching elimination refuses to log me in telling me "incorrect password".
Anyway thanks again for taking the time to respond to such trivial thing.
I tried it as well and ended up with this url: http://siripong-computer-tips.blogspot. ... heezy.html
and created a bash file for it:

#!/bin/bash
# http://siripong-computer-tips.blogspot.nl/2011/09/enable-lightdm-autologin-debian-wheezy.html

if [ "$1" == "" ]; then
  echo "You must pass the autologin user name: ./lightdm-autologin myusername"
  exit
fi

if [ $UID -ne 0 ]; then
  echo "Please, type root password..."
  su -c "$0 $@"
  exit
fi

# Configure /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
CONF=/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
XSESSION=$(cat /usr/share/xsessions/*.desktop | grep Exec | grep -v default | cut -d = -f2)

sed -i -e '/user-session=/ c user-session='$XSESSION $CONF
sed -i -e '/autologin-user=/ c autologin-user='$1 $CONF
sed -i -e "/autologin-user-timeout=/ c autologin-user-timeout=0" $CONF

if ! grep -Fxq "pam-service=" "$CONF"; then
  sed -i -e "/autologin-user-timeout=/ c autologin-user-timeout=0\npam-service=lightdm-autologin" $CONF
else
  sed -i -e '/pam-service=/ c pam-service=lightdm-autologin' $CONF
fi

# Create /etc/pam.d/lightdm-autologin
echo "#%PAM-1.0
auth requisite pam_nologin.so
auth required pam_env.so readenv=1
auth required pam_env.so readenv=1 envfile=/etc/default/locale
auth	required	pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet_success
auth required pam_permit.so
@include common-account
session required pam_limits.so
@include common-session
@include common-password" > /etc/pam.d/lightdm-autologin
However, wicd asks for a root password on login, and what's the point in being able to auto login, but have to type a password on each startup?
I think lightdm is just that: light.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

This is the procedure that I have used with LMDE and Light DM for autologin.
No issues whatsoever.

http://siripong-computer-tips.blogspot. ... heezy.html

Similar to Wayne 128's, but some differences.

Alter /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to be

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user={YOUR USER NAME}
autologin-user-timeout=0
pam-service=lightdm-autologin
Create (if it does not exist) or Alter /etc/pam.d/lightdm-autologin

#%PAM-1.0
auth requisite pam_nologin.so
auth required pam_env.so readenv=1
auth required pam_env.so readenv=1 envfile=/etc/default/locale
auth	required	pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet_success
auth required pam_permit.so
@include common-account
session required pam_limits.so
@include common-session
@include common-password
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@GeneC
I think our messages crossed, because we used the same source and solution. :)
However, wicd asks me a password on each boot after the autologin.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Ah!... :(

I dont use wireless, perhaps that is the issue?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

in the meantime :lol:
Schoelje have you seen this?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&t=122914
the same issue you and JJ had with cups
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:in the meantime :lol:
Schoelje have you seen this?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&t=122914
the same issue you and JJ had with cups
Yes, something seems broken in cups-pdf, but not being able to remove a printer looks like another thing.
Not all change is an improvement...
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

cups-pdf works on other distro pointing to testing
cups-pdf works on Mint ISO's (in live mode)
cup-pdf works thru UPack 5
cups-pdf doesn't work ISO updated to UPack 6
cups-pdf doesn't work on install changed pointing to testing

So Upack got lucky picking the snapshot day or something of mint config doesn't like (at UPack 6 or testing) version

So only thing left to try is Mint ISO (I'll try yours) and totally uninstall cups. Then point to testing, reinstall cups. Then see if 'cups-pdf' will install.

J.Jay
P.S. I have time to burn!
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

So only thing left to try is Mint ISO (I'll try yours) and totally uninstall cups. Then point to testing, reinstall cups. Then see if 'cups-pdf' will install.
NOPE configs in /ect & /ect/defaults were completely gone on reboot. Still nogo installing.

J.Jay
P.S. version same in UPack6 and testing. Only thing I remember,was a popup asking to keep Cup config (if remember right:oops: ) when upgrading ISO to UPack6 (on old install).
17xeros

Post by 17xeros »

Wayne128, Schoelje GeneC
I reinstalled LMDE XFCE UP6 and then did what wayne128 suggested i.e.
#autologin-user=
and
#autologin-user-timeout=0
and GeneC as well here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 03#p652895
This file
/usr/share/xsessions/lightdm-xsession.desktop
does not exist. in xsessions folder only Default and xfce session files exist.
However, it works fine.
I'm not asked any password at login, neither by wicd. Maybe cause I added NOPASSWD:
(root ALL=(ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL) in visudo ?
Also when I tried to connect wifi with wicd I typed the wpa password and was asked for a keyring password to save the wpa password, pressed OK without typing anything. Maybe cause of that?

A comment about GRUB. LMDE KDE iso always installs grub despite un-ticking the box. xfce 1st time behaved and didn't install it. 2nd time it did.

About thunar, blueman and obex.
Blueman uses Nautilus which in the official LMDE XFCE takes over the desktop (restarting without saving the session restores things, annoying though).
If nautilus is purged or like here does not exist, trying browsing files in a attached bluetooth device (blueman) does nothing.
I think it's important that it works by default. Searched a bit and found this post:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 37#p415734
I tried it in the official LMDE XFCE and works brilliant as good as nautilus does.

Creating Samba shares in Thunar
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 55#p509266
That's another option I feel it's useful to a user if it's there by default (context menu, Edit menu) in Thunar.

XFCE/KDE repositories.
If Linux Mint is not going to support XFCE and KDE -which I understand is the stimulus for this project- thus it's not going to provide updates of the DEs shouldn't be something in the sources.list ?

Maybe a "README" along the iso for "LMDE XFCE official" users about few things that are different to ease their switch over? Obviously enthusiasts and above (the IT knowledge ladder) have no need of it I presume.

Although already said, can't avoid repeating as well, it's really really fast. I bet it beats Arch crunchbang and the likes. Nevertheless an OS should be light in our brain processing capacity as well (which it supposedly serves).
All yours efforts very much appreciated in this side.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

17xeros wrote:I'm not asked any password at login, neither by wicd. Maybe cause I added NOPASSWD:
(root ALL=(ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL) in visudo ?
Your presumption is correct.
17xeros wrote:Also when I tried to connect wifi with wicd I typed the wpa password and was asked for a keyring password to save the wpa password, pressed OK without typing anything. Maybe cause of that?
See above.
17xeros wrote:A comment about GRUB. LMDE KDE iso always installs grub despite un-ticking the box. xfce 1st time behaved and didn't install it. 2nd time it did.
Did you have that problem with the official LM iso's?
17xeros wrote:About thunar, blueman and obex.
Blueman uses Nautilus which in the official LMDE XFCE takes over the desktop (restarting without saving the session restores things, annoying though).
If nautilus is purged or like here does not exist, trying browsing files in a attached bluetooth device (blueman) does nothing.
I think it's important that it works by default. Searched a bit and found this post:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 37#p415734
I tried it in the official LMDE XFCE and works brilliant as good as nautilus does.

Creating Samba shares in Thunar
That's another option I feel it's useful to a user if it's there by default (context menu, Edit menu) in Thunar.
I'll look into this somewhere this weekend (these are the things I need to get the OS better, great job!).
17xeros wrote:XFCE/KDE repositories.
If Linux Mint is not going to support XFCE and KDE -which I understand is the stimulus for this project- thus it's not going to provide updates of the DEs shouldn't be something in the sources.list ?
I'm looking for a solution that'll bring more continuity: my own repository.
So, if someone knows where I can host that (as cheap as possible), just let me know it.
17xeros wrote:Maybe a "README" along the iso for "LMDE XFCE official" users about few things that are different to ease their switch over? Obviously enthusiasts and above (the IT knowledge ladder) have no need of it I presume.
That's very low on my priority list at the moment, but I don't mind if you write one :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote:
So, if someone knows where I can host that (as cheap as possible), just let me know it.
does this mean:
1- repo that might have custom kde/xfce packages alongside/replacing the ones provided by debian;
2- your packages :wink: ?
widget

Post by widget »

jjaythomas wrote:
NOPE configs in /ect & /ect/defaults were completely gone on reboot. Still nogo installing.

J.Jay
P.S. version same in UPack6 and testing. Only thing I remember,was a popup asking to keep Cup config (if remember right:oops: ) when upgrading ISO to UPack6 (on old install).
I have no idea if it is working or not under Sid, don't have a printer at this time.

You could, however, give that a whack by adding the sid repo. You could also try the experimental repo which may or may not have yet another version in it.

If not familiar with it to use another repo (like experimental);
add to sources.list

run apt-get update (or use aptitude0

run;

apt-get -t experimental install <package name>
would be the same for the sid repo just change repo name./

Or;

aptitude install <package name> -t experimental
Either of those should pull in any needed depends from the target repo.

If there is a problem aptitude has more options and offers them to you. If you are not familiar with this refuse all options but read them all before refusing. When it runs out if any of them looked good, start over with the same command again and choose that option.

In my experience it is not usually the first option that you want.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

17xeros wrote: Creating Samba shares in Thunar
@17xeros,
Yes, I used altair4's tutorial often when I make OS as file server.

Without using the tutorial on thunar file sharing per your link above, I found Schoelje had already an apps that allow file sharing..after doing samba restart, the shared folders work for giving 'everybody' read access to the shared folder....

I do not know what is the name of that apps, it seem to be mate-system-tools..
need Schoelje to help confirm..

Here is what I did and works, may be you could try it and see if the simple steps here work at your end also.

1. Menu > System > Shared Folders
2. on popup windows, lower right corner, click the lock, key in password, then you can make changes
3. on Shared folder tab, Add, and select the directory you wish to share,
in its popup window, select
path (click your directory you want to share)
Shared through 'Windows network (SMB)'
on share properties
default is a check on 'read only'.

4. on General Properties tab
leave as default,

5. on Users tab
scroll to find your login name, click to play a tick on it, and enter your login password.

Close and exit

6. get to terminal restart samba with
sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

terminal should show
umdexfce wayne # /etc/init.d/samba restart
[....] Stopping Samba daemons: nmbdstart-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 3730: No such process
[ ok .
[ ok ] Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.

7. now, use your windows OS computer or other computers on the same subnet,
browse network, you should be able to browse the unofficial-lmde-xfce computer and you also should be able to read access the shared folder..

8. edit : to have write access, it is NOT working out of the box..few steps needed
I refer to other tutorials by altair4 and by adding
force user = my_login_name
to the [global] session of the samba config file /etc/samba/smb.conf

follow by going back the Menu>System>Shared Folders, on popup windows, Shared Folder tab> click the name of the shared folder> click Properties> uncheck "Read only"> click Share>click Close to exit.

and finally do the samba restart in terminal with
sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

it will let 'everybody' to have write access on the shared folders
Last edited by wayne128 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I have no idea if it is working or not under Sid, don't have a printer at this time.
Thank You widget...

I can print I set up with 'hplip-gui' just can't print test page, I can print a random web page (so believe cups printer works). Its the virtual printer 'cups-pdf' that won't install and locks synaptic (the work around works anyways). I just have to remember to use the print to file and not try install 'cups-pdf' (that's what always used :roll: force of habit only).

Its just anoying knowing my other 'debian testing distro' they do

Thank You
J.Jay
P.S. Only thing beside setup I use hplip-gui for is to monitor ink levels (that seems to be working).
Also
Rather LMDE for other reasons alacarte(sorta of works :P ), open folder as root right click (I know thunar custmized), extra repo, ect.
widget

Post by widget »

jjaythomas wrote:
Thank You widget...

I can print I set up with 'hplip-gui' just can't print test page, I can print a random web page (so believe cups printer works). Its the virtual printer 'cups-pdf' that won't install and locks synaptic (the work around works anyways). I just have to remember to use the print to file and not try install 'cups-pdf' (that's what always used :roll: force of habit only).

Its just anoying knowing my other 'debian testing distro' they do

Thank You
J.Jay
P.S. Only thing beside setup I use hplip-gui for is to monitor ink levels (that seems to be working).
Also
Rather LMDE for other reasons alacarte(sorta of works :P ), open folder as root right click (I know thunar custmized), extra repo, ect.
Ah, I should have read more carefully. You could probably grab the package from the wheezy repo then. In that case it would be good to remove all of cups and install all of it from the same repo.

Be a lot easier just to wait for LMDE to catch up seeing how you can get the job done.

There is only so far into the repo that the devs here can go. I am sure that they use the pop con to determine which packages to look at for each Update Pack.

You get deep enough into the Debian Wheezy, or even Squeeze, repo and you can find bugs. Wheezy will be released with no "release critical" bugs. Those packages are determined by the pop con (among some other factors) just as the packages included on the install CD/DVD 1 are.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Ah, I should have read more carefully. You could probably grab the package from the wheezy repo then. In that case it would be good to remove all of cups and install all of it from the same repo.
Thanks anyways :D I tried uninstalling cups and getting from 'Testing' I believe its the same version, so I figure probably a mint config/xdg or somethings. Works well just no test page printing & remeber don't install cups-pdf. :?

J.Jay
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:
Schoelje wrote:
does this mean:
1- repo that might have custom kde/xfce packages alongside/replacing the ones provided by debian;
2- your packages :wink: ?
Yes and yes :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”