Mageia 3

Chat about Linux in general
The Dark Side
Level 4
Level 4

Mageia 3

Post by The Dark Side » Sun May 26, 2013 10:54 am

Mageia 3 appear to be two distributions in one. For one hand, the Mageia KDE version is really very good, almost excellent (although has some details to polish), it is almost excellent, and works great, its very solid. It is noted that gives more darling about Mageia KDE, Mageia KDE is really very good, almost a rock.-

On the other hand, the Mageia Gnome version, really sucks. I think that people did not care too Mageia Gnome version has some bugs, quite rude and default graphical appearance is unsatisfactory. Although much of the blame also lies with the unpresentable Gnome 3, but this time with Mageia Gnome is quite ugly, got worse since the previous version. Best regards.-
MX Linux 18.3 (KDE & XFCE)
PCLinuxOS KDE
PCLinuxOS MATE
Devuan Ascii 2

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Mageia 3

Post by wayne128 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:13 am

Jose Manuel wrote:Mageia 3 appear to be two distributions in one.
You probably downloaded the kde and gnome version, each around 1.4G size.

I download the DVD, full version, 3.xG
dd to usb flash.
boot and install.

I chose to install , select custom, click everything:: :lol: for the fun of it .

A few things I like
1. I can have grub legacy, quite pretty in graphic
Debian based distros are usually with grub2.
Debian grub legacy had some bugs, I could not get it working on ext4 formatted partition
This Mageia 3's grub legacy work well, it also correctly get the stanza for all other OS partition :mrgreen:

2. I can opt to install fglrx during installation, and after install I check: wow, works very well, especially it is on kernel 3.8, where a few distros I tested have issues on boot, crash and installing fglrx

Code: Select all

[wayne@localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost 3.8.13-server-1.mga3 #1 SMP Tue May 14 19:21:48 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
3. it also let me choose to distro-upgrade during installation, so save some work.

4. of course, all kinds of DE/WM to play with.
After installation, on login manager , I can choose to run

kde4, xfce4, lxde, gnome, gnome-classic, openbox, icewm, window manager, e17, drak3d, custom...

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Thu May 30, 2013 2:43 am

I'm looking forward to Mepis12 - which should be somewhat similar to Mageia ..
- legacy_boot - as well
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

bwat47
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bwat47 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:30 am

Yeah I gave the mageia 3 gnome live cd a test run. It was literally the worst gnome distribution I have ever seen. Why on earth are they using oxygen gtk for the default theme? It was very ugly and totally unpolished. IMO they shouldn't even bother with a gnome version if its gonna be that bad. The KDE version did seem nice though.

It was also the only distro where I simply could NOT get my wireless to work on the live cd, which is pretty silly because I have intel wireless.

The Dark Side
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Dark Side » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:25 am

If it is true that you download the two images "Live" for testing, not two distributions..... :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Although the vast difference between these two distributions appear different.... What happens is that the bandwidth of my country is dreadful, then under the distributions "Live" as the full DVD would take me too long to download (although sometimes I have download).

The KDE version is really good, almost excellent, if not for a few small bugs. KDE is a great pleasure in Mageia 3. GNOME version is really crap, not so much guilt if Mageia team or so bad and scary that is Gnome 3 by itself. I look ugly right, do not bother downloading it.

A shame that Mageia does not have images "Live" with other desktops, I guess XFCE, LXDE and e17 should run very well with Mageia, would be good to make images "Live" of these environments, how does Fedora, for example. Best regards.
MX Linux 18.3 (KDE & XFCE)
PCLinuxOS KDE
PCLinuxOS MATE
Devuan Ascii 2

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:54 am

Jose Manuel wrote: The KDE version is really good, almost excellent, if not for a few small bugs. KDE is a great pleasure in Mageia 3.
Fully agree, KDE is very nice.
GNOME version is really crap, not so much guilt if Mageia team or so bad and scary that is Gnome 3 by itself. I look ugly right, do not bother downloading it.
Agree too, default is really ugly.. However may be the developers do not think so :mrgreen:
I guess XFCE, LXDE and e17 should run very well with Mageia,
Yes, xfce is really nice and smooth to run.
lxde is just ok to me, perhaps because I am used to running xfce a lot more and can customise font size/type/wallpaper etc rapidly on xfce.

A very pleasant surprise for me is E17, it is nice and run well too.
At least better than a few others I tried.

Return to “Chat about Linux”