Linux VS Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Brahim Salem

Linux VS Windows

Post by Brahim Salem »

Here is comparison be between MS Windows and Linux [url]http://www.hackerpaparazzi.com/?p=345[/url] Wht do you think guys :D

[url=http://picturepush.com/public/13314863][img]http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/13314863/220/13314863.jpg[/img][/url]
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux VS Windows

Post by grimdestripador »

The author does not seem to write like a hacker, or someone more knowedgeable. It seems there is a consistancy of to where linux 'newbies' tend to write out 'VS' artciles, even declaring winners.
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid »

I will stick to the link in my signature: [url=http://bit.ly/19zIxEY]Linux is not Windows.[/url]
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pfeiffep »

eanfrid wrote:I will stick to the link in my signature: [url=http://bit.ly/19zIxEY]Linux is not Windows.[/url]
And I submit that Windows is not Linux. Both OSes have their place - I have no inclination of simply blowing away a product that I already own - when it comes time for a massive hardware upgrade I'm pretty sure I won't be paying for an OS!
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

I was recently having a discussion recently to what the most productive 'development environment' is. I've decided its a powerfull dualmonitor windows box with a laster generation dualmonitor linuxmint box. Others say only one monitor for linux, and use many screen sessions/tabs. Point being, it not one or another; akin to wood carpendry with nails or screws. They both achieve the result though different means. They both have their strong points. But in the end, the preverbial pretty wood box you make will probally have screws for somethings, and finishing nails for others. I don't think I have ever heard a carpender make the discussion of Nail vs Screw.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

If you play in a commercial space (or develop applications), then a windows platform may make more sense, although you can also accomplish a similar result if you decide to use cross-platform methods

In the later tablets or phones, then Android OS may be the more important option
--unless you are an Apple aficionado

For desktops' or portable systems, it is strictly a user choice: either forced (OEM platforms) or picked (your own choice of OS to install and use..)
--for any ordinary user, there is no great advantage to using a windows OS vs a Linux OS: the only exception being PC games
  • Since most other software: that is applications and so on are available in large numbers on either system (once the OS is installed)
http://linuxappfinder.com/
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/apps#Cat=t1
Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Orbmiser »

DrHu wrote:If you play in a commercial space (or develop applications), then a windows platform may make more sense, although you can also accomplish a similar result if you decide to use cross-platform methods

--for any ordinary user, there is no great advantage to using a windows OS vs a Linux OS: the only exception being PC games
  • Since most other software: that is applications and so on are available in large numbers on either system (once the OS is installed)
Well to me comes down to degree of functionality. And there are still way too many reasons that Windows is a Must.
And their is more to it then just games.

1) Linux isn't yet ready for the average user. Many do not know how to install,partition,etc.. And is pretty much a clueless process for them. And many don't wish to have to learn beyond what button do I click on. And are at a total loss about how to recover from it. Windows at least has the easy roll-back Restore to prior state for the uniformed.

2) Full Microsoft compatibility Work or School - As no fault to LibreOffice tho still not there with 100% read/write of Office Docs. And many still run into formatting and wonky outputs created in LibreOffice and opened with Office.

3) DVD suite of Burning Functions - K3b is the only one that comes close and still lacks for some functions. But full-feature suites like Nero nada. Or programs for Movie ripping and compression are hard to come by. And many times a need to understand to use them beyond the simple click and go. Also the state of CD/DVD apps are abysmal and many seem to even be dead. The rest are problematic and buggy and minimum in features.

4) Apps like Skype,Google Maps,Picasa,Quicken Books,etc.. used by many and problematic or non-existent in Linux. And many will resist going to another program. Or may not be able to for one reason or another.

5) Games - We all know state of that many times general users aren't going to jump thru hoops getting graphic drivers to work

6) Image & Video editing - Was the reason I left back in 2008 and Linux has made great strides in apps for that. And brought me back to linux.

7) The whole Upgrade vs. Clean installs to Rolling releases vs LTS and non-LTS are way too confusing to the general user. And will many times get zapped latter down the road and get frustrated. Also with updates breaking Graphics,Wifi & Sound where worked fine in last edition but now is broken. And figuring out if it was the Kernel,driver,libraries,etc.. is way too much to expect for the masses out there that have no intention of putting on their Thinking Caps!
Or Waiting a Week or Month for a fix. They just don't have the patience for that.

Generally the masses that are not having issues and liking it.
Also didn't install and configure for themselves.
Some Geeky family member did it for them.

I still have to dual-boot with Win7. But the nice thing is I am a geeky tech type and can fix it and learn to fix it myself.
As am the kind of person that needs to build the hardware system from scratch and understand how the OS works.
But still have a need for Win7 apps that are lacking on Linux and isn't just games.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

1) Linux isn't yet ready for the average user. Many do not know how to install,partition,etc.. And is pretty much a clueless process for them. And many don't wish to have to learn beyond what button do I click on. And are at a total loss about how to recover from it. Windows at least has the easy roll-back Restore to prior state for the uniformed.
Might be correct, to assume most users are clueless and want to stay that way. But the problem comes in troubleshooting, noone no matter how inept or clueless wants to seem to be a dummy: makes fixing anything a problem for everyonbe, inluding the clueless user!..
--of course vendors are in a race to make it seem that is the correct method of operation.

I personally don't have much time for anyone who still thinks an OS is like a toaster or car, just turn it ON, and hope it is all aOK!
  • ..and most of the time it is, whether the OS of choice is Linux, Android, Windows IOS,, OSX or other!..
pfeiffep
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pfeiffep »

DrHu wrote:
Might be correct, to assume most users are clueless and want to stay that way. But the problem comes in troubleshooting, noone no matter how inept or clueless wants to seem to be a dummy: makes fixing anything a problem for everyonbe, inluding the clueless user!..
--of course vendors are in a race to make it seem that is the correct method of operation.

I personally don't have much time for anyone who still thinks an OS is like a toaster or car, just turn it ON, and hope it is all aOK!
  • ..and most of the time it is, whether the OS of choice is Linux, Android, Windows IOS,, OSX or other!..
On the other hand we don't require our carpenters to understand metallurgy to drive nails do we? :?: All they really need to know is what type of nails they'll be driving into what type of material.
I think Linux is too complicated for the average user. Just consider the plethora of desktop environments and different distributions from which to choose.
HP Tower | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SDD Win7 | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 & Mint 14 Cinnamon | USB HDD Ubuntu 13.10
Dell laptop | Intel celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | HDD Ubuntu 13.04 | USB HDD Mint 14

Regards, Pete
Lingula
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lingula »

My 2 year old daughter does just fine with Android devices. That's Linux.

The "usability" problem with both Windows and the mainstream Linux distros (like Mint and Ubuntu) is that they seem to target both the newbie and the power user. Apple's success after the return of Steve Jobs was based on turning computers into a commodity device intended to be as easy to use as a toaster. They don't pretend to cater to hackers, and their users don't complain that the devices are too easy to use. The modest success of Arch Linux is based on catering to the elite, and their users don't complain that it's too difficult to use. Users of Arch or OSX may each find the other OS to be frustrating, but both groups are generally not fond of Windows or Ubuntu.

Return to “Chat about Linux”