OS for dual quadcore system?

Chat about Linux in general
pengyou
Level 2
Level 2

OS for dual quadcore system?

Post by pengyou »

I have been out of the cutting edge of technology for a long time, since I left my job as a computer trainer (read:windows 98). I would like to prepare for a job as a technology teacher in a high school which is going to require me to be knowledgeable about both Windows and Apple (pity on both). I don't want to have 3 computers and have read that it is possible to do windows, linux and the mac os on one pc using a virtual install. I have not done anything in the past years to stress the dual core pcu that I am using now but installing 3 OS on a computer seems to me like it would be a taxing situation. The kinds of things I do now at my job include surfing (with sometimes up to 40 pages open at once), video editing and rendering, chatting, word p. and spreadsheet, audio editing, video call with skype, listening to music....hmm well, a few other things but would be smaller tasks. I would like to have all 3 os available at any given time so that I can take advantage of spare time that I might have at work.

Does this sound like a job for a quad core? or a dual quadcore - or more? I would like the performance of this system to not be affected by having multiple OS installed in a virtual environment, i.e. perform as though there were only one OS running on the system. What would be the best OS to optimize the hardware - I believe that with virtual windows there has to be a primary OS? My preferred answer for this last question would be either windows or linux.

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: OS for dual quadcore system?

Post by grimdestripador »

Using up harddrive space, by adding more OSs should not slow a comptuer down. I have a mis-informed friend who eraces all his music data thinking that it would speed his computer up.

pengyou
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pengyou »

Thanks. But it was my understanding that by opening virtual windows I would be increasing the work of the cpu and the memory, not so much the hard drive. HD are cheap now.

3fRI
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 3fRI »

@pengyou: What kind of computer do you have? If you have a Mac, for example, you could install and run OS X, Windows, and a Linux distro like Mint on your HD with a triple-boot set-up. I'm not a huge fan of virtual installs, but use them to see if I like a distro enough to bother with a HD install. I dual-boot on my iMac and both run fast and fairly lean if I'm multitasking on one OS or the other. :)
System 76 Pangolin: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz, Manjaro 15.12 Capella Xfce/Cinnamon 64-bit
iMac 21.5: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, Mac OS 10.11

[iWhat? Me worry?[/i]

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

You'll have to have a Mac Pro to do what you suggest if you are saying dual CPU computer capable of running all 3 OS's. There are no other dual CPU capable machines that can do as you suggest, with the exception being the odd "hackintosh" home built machine. Results of the hackintosh attempts are usually poor in relation to a true Mac computer.

Yes, you'll need enough power to run all of those, but not anywhere near needing a dual CPU machine. If you run hugely intensive apps in those virtual machines simultaneously you may find it necessary to have the extra horsepower, but you'll need a LOT of RAM to push the CPU's to their limits. Your listed uses probably won't do so and keep in mind that each VM needs its own designated RAM assigned so you'll need enough in your main OS and each VM to handle your workload.

pengyou
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pengyou »

Thanks...then I will consider having two pc's..I am only going to learn how to use the Mac under protest :)

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

No need for 2 PC's. You can do Linux and Windows on just one. But to run OSX you need a Mac. If you really want to run all 3 just buy an iMac or Mac Mini and run them all. OSX is easy to learn and it's based on FreeBSD so it starts out open source and ends up...not. :)

Jonathan Spearman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jonathan Spearman »

I currently have a quad core system with 16gigs of ram and 1.5TB of drive space. I have a dual boot setup with PCLinuxOS and Linux Mint. Inside of Linux Mint, I am using VBOX and have several OS's installed for testing, training and learning purposes. My best suggestion is to have a system with at least a dual core CPU and If the motherboard can handle 16gigs of Ram, Then max it out. Even with VBOX running I am barely using 6gigs of ram.

Video Editing takes resources and memory is the most important, outside of HD space. with all the work you are doing, it is better to be safe. Now as for which OS would make better use of resources, I would have to go with Linux, Windows once the resources get down to 70% or lower, will start to Blue screen and cause other issues. Mac's naturally are best for anything video related. Although I do not use windows, it is a option, just know that you will spend a lot of time troubleshooting blue screen's and errors.

One thing about windows 8 most people will not know, because of it's always on feature in order to update the tiles and post information to the tiles, it causes the system to become very unstable when it comes to resource usage. My wife has a quad core system with 2 gig video card and 24 gigs of ram and 1TB of drive space and windows 8 would become so slow that it would hang or down right crash. She figured out by turning off the always on feature, the system became faster and did not crash, although it still has issues with a touch screen monitor.
Thanks
Jonathan Spearman
J.S. Technical Consulting
http://www.jstc.biz/
Running Linux Mint 15 KDE 4.11

Return to “Chat about Linux”