BSD Mint

Chat about Linux in general
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

BSD Mint

Post by Jessey Lawson »

Hm, I am currently trying to create a map of how a version of BSD MInt will work. Here is how I would do it. Please also note this is documentation as of right now and that I am currently not knowing any programing, but am going to take classes in it if I can get my finaces and testing done in time. Again this is just documentation as of now:

First BSD Mint would be basedon 4.4BSD-Lite Release 2 and n,ot Free BSD. It would have its own customized kerrnal that would be also compatable with Pure Darwin, Linux Bianrys 64bit, Plan 9, and Haiku. I know that this is possible as Linux and Pure Darwin are both of Unix dicent. Pure Darwin though is both BSD and Unix as it does pay money to be under that stature witch is another reason that Pure Darwin has slow devlopment. Also Pure Darwin can run Unix generation 3 are newer programs. Haiku programs would run with a compability layer like that of Wine with Windows, but as Hiaku is open source it would be verry easy and Linux programs are ported to Haiku anyway and this would help Haikus devlopment and that of Pure Darwins.
2) BSD Mint would not rely on Linux devlopers to make updates. BSD Mint would update the programs and maintanin them by them selfs. This would make it easyer to make all the programs work without breakages that happen in Linux. Just look at waht Gnome does to Cinnamon and Mate, thus would not happen on BSD Mint. Ok, then you have the Windiow Managers and Desktop Environments, BSD Mint would port over the WM's and DE's that the community wants and that would be done by a vote on the site.
3) All the programs would be open source and be realesed under BSD, GPL, MIT, or BSDML and would be completly open source and no propiety drivers or software would be ported over unless it is in the software ocean for BSD Mint. BSD Mint would be released under the BSD Mint Linsence and would be able to be used in open source projects only just like Linux disros are all open source and thus have to show you the source code.
4)BSD Mint would have many ways to install a program of the users chocie. ONe of the ways will be through the method known as "fishing".The BSD Mint Software Ocean is similer to the Arch user repositorys. The BSD Mint Sofftware Ocean would contain programs that the users could not get in the reguler repos and would contain older versions of many programs as whell as many of the RC versions of programs. Fishing would also be similer to how Linux programs are installed using pacman, apt, or yum, but you can get the file from one location or you could use p2p to speed up the process if anyone eles has seeded it. Upgradeing and udates could also be done with the fishing process. This would allow power users to install unstable programs that would fully use their hardware even if they are not stable. Fishing would also be the only way to install Propietry software. Users could also install programs with a GUI program from the officle repos for BSD Mint. While these packages would be stable they would not be the latest versions, but they would be pretty close. BSD MInt would also have a software store just like Ubuntu's and this would be the one Location BSD Mint devlopers could make money for their work. BSD Mint would also have cloud services and a music. You would also have a GUI program that will make it easy to install programs made for Pure Darwin. Then you have the ports of Wine, Darling, and others like DOS Box as whell as an custom layer that will alow BSD Mint to run Haiku programs. BSD Mint would also have its own version of Wine that would work with Windows and React OS programs.
5)I would make BSD MInt come in 3 versions Core, Classic, and Modern. Core would be a 650 MB version that would just be the Kernal and basic programs that would be needed to make BSD Mint run. Core would run on old hardware and would run on RISC, Power PC, PPC, and some 16 and 32bit hardware that is uncomon today. Classic would run on Modern 32bit compters and some newer PowerPC computers while Modern would work on 64 and 128bit computers and would be the best for new users as it would come with all the programs an average user would want and would average at 4.6 GB.
6)Now out of the box BSD Mint would come with the following Windows Managers and Desktop Environments: Gnome, Gnome 2, Mate, Cinnamon, Unity. XFCE, LXDE, Gnome 3, Cinnamon Clasic, and Enlightenment. Each would also have their fallback modes. The default DE that would be picked durring the live cd would depend on the hardware that is dected at start up. Users would be able to install other WM's and DE's by using the terminal or by other GUI installation programs. Each Desktop Environment would be "frozen" to make sure that it plays "nice" with the others.
7)Cinnamon will have two flavors Cinnamon and Cinnamon Clasic. Cinnamon Clasic would have apps, desklets, extensions, themes, menu themes, widgets, and other plug in's. Cinnamon would not and it would be more stable then Cinnamon Classic. In Cinnamon the users could choose what they want to be their defult fallback mode. Of chorse they could pick from Gnome, Gnome 2, Mate, Gnome 3 and any other Desktop Envionment that is compatable. This feature would also work similerly in the other desktops.
8)BSD Mint would aim at a completly diffrent group then Linux Mint. Linux Mint aims to be a Lightweight Distro that will make exWindows users fell computible yet provide its own style. I think that BSD MInt would and should aim at the gaming community and the Linux power users.

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: BSD Mint

Post by proxima_centauri »

Instead of resurrecting three dead threads on the subject, I've given you your own thread to continue this topic.

Your other duplicate posts have been removed. Thanks.

Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

I would also would change the way the Port tree would work.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Speak less, do more.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Aleenik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aleenik »

killer de bug wrote:Speak less, do more.
I have no way of knowing whether this guy will go through with his plans, or even if he has the know-how to, but how can one "do more" in an effective way without a roadmap? For all we know, he has already started some actual preliminary work on his project.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Aleenik wrote:For all we know, he has already started some actual preliminary work on his project.
His first issue is going to be using the Mint name. He won't get past his post up there.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

catweazel wrote:
Aleenik wrote:For all we know, he has already started some actual preliminary work on his project.
His first issue is going to be using the Mint name. He won't get past his post up there.
First I am in the research phase. I am tring to plan out the bsd file system hierarchy so I can see what will work and will not. As you read this is a learning project, I still don't know the exact hieracrchy of BSD, and I need to get one for that of Pure Darwin. I also have to do some looking into the fhierarchy of Haiku as it is binary compatable with Be OS and that is required for the compatability layer. Linux Mint only controles the icons and themes, now the name sounds good to me.
Found it[url]http://www.puredarwin.org/curious/hier[/url]
Hm, now the fun. It looks similer, but it might not work with 4.4 lite. I think that Darwin might be releated to Free BSD, and if it is then it could also be used for Free BSD compatability. Darwin and Darling would be an interesting combineination. if you put the two together you could have a systom that would have the look of OSX and the power of BSD, then again I don't consider OSX BSD in the first place. Gnome 2 and what is it...............no it is not Docky,...um.....ah got it AWN I think is the name of the dock. Dockbar X and AWM would be good too. I also think that people care to much about Gnome 3. Who cares if it has Linux only parts, take it and make it work. Also I was thinking about a pepermint with BSD horns.[url]http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/filesystem-layout.html[/url]Wow Hiakus file systom is weak!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

As replied on your [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28717&p=737910#p737910]other[/url] post, you'll have to come up with a different name. As for feasibility, both Cinnamon and MATE ports are available for several BSD flavors, as are of course KDE and Xfce. So you have a good head start and don't need to go totally from scratch at least on the desktop environments :)

/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Given that there are already a few good "Linux BSDs" around (Arch BSD, Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, just to name two), I wonder what would be the major advantage of such a project.

OK, there can never be enough BSDs; but are you able to come up with innovative features?

Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Re: If you want to make a distribution based on Mint

Post by Incentive I.C »

Jessey Lawson wrote:Ok, so I know I have to remove all mint branding. So the issue I am now having is finding where all of mints configuation files or at. still need to change the installer and its powerpoint that happens during the install. Next I have to change the welcome screen, have no idea where it is at. And for some reason even after I removed the Mint menu it still wants it and I have to change that config file as whell as the defualt cinnamon theme.
So basically your planing on taking out all the mint branding. Replace the linux kernel with a BSD kernel and after that working from there. Sounds cool. But what does the BSD kernel have over Linux kernel? Talking about the kernels not the Os. Was always wondering.

Also you say your are going to aim at the gaming community and the Linux power users. Isn't BSD gaming and desert with tumbleweeds blowing by :lol: ?(Emulation must be what you are talking about :) )
Good luck though. Could be nice!
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved here as this is a better topic to discuss what a BSDified Mint would be; not the topic about if you want to create a Mint based distro.
The best way to learn from it is break it OS's (is there a plural for OS?) included.

gdk2008uk
Level 1
Level 1

BSD Mint

Post by gdk2008uk »

I know you are looking for a Linux MintBSD Distro but why don't you format your harddrives and install a copy of GhostBSD which is probably what you are looking for and has the look and feel of Linux Mint and the stability of FreeBSD. and I am even toying with the idea of installing it over my copy Of linux Mint (Nadia) ;-)

gdk2008uk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gdk2008uk »

GhostBSD is what you want it has the look and feel of Linux Mint and the stability of FreeBSD :-).

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 »

gdk2008uk - that must be some sort of record,you posted on a 5 year old thread.
Please don't do that
I've moved your posts here

Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

gdk2008uk wrote:I know you are looking for a Linux MintBSD Distro but why don't you format your harddrives and install a copy of GhostBSD which is probably what you are looking for and has the look and feel of Linux Mint and the stability of FreeBSD. and I am even toying with the idea of installing it over my copy Of linux Mint (Nadia) ;-)
Cool might try it. I have been thinking about archBSD,too. It uses Pacman which is very nice. By the way I have been kind of looking away from BSD because I always though there were not as many application availiable for it like Mint. That and things are not as up to date. Running FF23 which is the newest "stable" FF. Which version does BSD have 19? I dont even think they have KDE 4.10 yet while with backports Mint can have KDE 4.11 within minutes. Not to meantion you would have to compile it which would take a long time for KDE. Any opinions on that?
The best way to learn from it is break it OS's (is there a plural for OS?) included.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not sure about GhostBSD (no searchable package lists online?) but the FreeBSD production release has both FF 23 and KDE 4.10. GhostBSD is a derivative of FreeBSD. Arch BSD looks more tantalizing but perhaps that's just because everything looks so familiar and easy just like Arch Linux :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”