Other KDE distros

Chat about Linux in general
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why mint hates KDE?!

Post by OldManHook »

mbnoimi wrote:
The Mint developers have every reason to be proud of each of the editions, regardless of which one comes "first".
Actually this is not the case of proud It's the case of practical situation. I'm using Mint KDE 14 and suffer from old ubuntu packages cuz Mint 14 based on ubuntu 12.10 which has many deprecated packages. This priority make me feel upset because from my perspective KDE comes first so priority thing is act of injustice.

I don't really convince that Cinnamon is pretty easy for newbies because in many cases the user force to use damn terminal to do some task which are already available in KDE with GUI! so easiness is relative matter and let's don't forget that Windows is very popular than MAC OSx although the last is pretty similar to Cinnamon!

P.S. I don't know why Mint guys didn't discuss default desktop issue but I certainly encourage the idea of considering KDE as default desktop for Mint and the only thing preventing me to going back to openSuSE is proprietary drivers which are included in Mint (default desktop of openSuSE is KDE)[/list]
There is a reason It's called t5he Main...More People Use It is One...From Your Post You Seem To Have a ME ME Thing...Your Way Or No Way...Look At the Polls...On Some Unity and Grome 3 beat KDE...Just Do a Search...Other People Feel the Same About Other DE's As You Do About KDE...To Your Problem...You Could Build Your Own...Just The Way You Like...Have You tried PCLinux OS...KDE and Works Out Of Box :) :)
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi
Rudemeister
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rudemeister »

I know that Cinnamon is a nice desktop environment that Mint can be proud of. Their execution of Cinnamon works well and differentiates the Mint team from all the other distributions. Though I like it, I also prefer KDE. Though there are other KDE centric distributions, Mint does many things well that the others don't. I think OpenSuse 12.3 is a nicely done distribution with lots of eye candy. But getting all the networking stuff working properly is a pain in the butt. Network stuff that runs easily by default in Mint needs to be enabled and configured manually in that OpenSuse. Kubuntu is nice too, but I always like Mint better. The anticipation for the release of Mint KDE 15 in killing me. :)
HP XW8600 Work Station
Dual Quad-Core 3Ghz Xeon CPU's
32GB PC2-5300 ECC DRAM
Nvidia GT520 2G GDDR3 Graphics
2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
Linux Mint 16 KDE 64-bit
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Jaws
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jaws »

Jose Manuel wrote:Currently, I am using Linux Mint 13 KDE is really super stable, very efficient, no complaints.
Same here, been using 13 LTS since it came out and it's been superb.
mbnoimi wrote:As I mentioned above, the only thing stopped me to leave Mint KDE is good support of proprietary drivers which is missing in Arch, OpenSuSE or Chakra. But if I found any distro fills this gap I'll never hesitate to leave Mint KDE while they don't care about KDE users.
Then you're not looking hard enough. There's a very popular KDE-centric distro out there that's been in existence for many years which is also GUI-centric. I'll leave you to figure it out.
Rudemeister
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rudemeister »

Jaws wrote:Then you're not looking hard enough. There's a very popular KDE-centric distro out there that's been in existence for many years which is also GUI-centric. I'll leave you to figure it out.
Kubuntu?
HP XW8600 Work Station
32GB PC2-5300 ECC DRAM
Linux Mint 16 KDE 64-bit
mbnoimi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mbnoimi »

Rudemeister wrote:Kubuntu?
Hasn't support proprietary drivers as Mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

mbnoimi wrote:
Rubbish.

Damned troll.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mbnoimi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mbnoimi »

catweazel wrote:Rubbish.
Damned troll.
Don't be un polite, explain without using dirty language,
Rudemeister
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rudemeister »

mbnoimi wrote:
catweazel wrote:Rubbish.
Damned troll.
Don't be un polite, explain without using dirty language,
Catweazel is a cranky old codger. What would else would one expect? :lol:
HP XW8600 Work Station
32GB PC2-5300 ECC DRAM
Linux Mint 16 KDE 64-bit
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Rudemeister wrote: Catweazel is a cranky old codger.
Indeed, but at 84 it's a right not a trait :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
pghjake
Level 1
Level 1

Other KDE distros

Post by pghjake »

Maybe the OP need to look at SolydK?
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not following why the clearly false assumption that "mint hates KDE" is answered by a few of you with a suggestion to try another distro. Stay on topic please. If you want to discuss other distros that come with KDE, please do so in the chat about Linux forum.
Jaws
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jaws »

If "a few of you" you're including me, I never suggested the OP try another distro other than to tell the OP he wasn't looking hard enough and I have too much respect for Mint to mentioned another distro by name on their forum.
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

mbnoimi wrote:
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras?
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OldManHook »

xenopeek wrote:I'm not following why the clearly false assumption that "mint hates KDE" is answered by a few of you with a suggestion to try another distro. Stay on topic please. If you want to discuss other distros that come with KDE, please do so in the chat about Linux forum.
Maybe You Should Just Lock This One>..Trying to be Helpful...If Mint KDE Don't Do it For The OP...Why Not Suggest Another :?: ...This Is a Sub Forum...Chat About Linux :?:
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi

Return to “Chat about Linux”