Families: Debian vs. Slackware vs. Fedora

Chat about Linux in general
Knuckl3head
Level 1
Level 1

Families: Debian vs. Slackware vs. Fedora

Post by Knuckl3head » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Hey There,

I am trying to figure out the pros and cons of each major Linux Family.
I divide the Linux world into three parts:

The Debian Family: All the distros based on Debian, directly or indirectly
The Slackware Family: All the distros based on Slackware, directly or indirectly
The Fedora Family: All the distros based on Fedora, directly, or indirectly

I know there are pros and cons, but all the website talking about them are biased in the direction of their favorite distro, and it is hard to find good information.

uzername
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Families: Debian vs. Slackware vs. Fedora

Post by uzername » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:01 pm

What specifically do you want to know about the differences? There is a lot of info out there.

Secondly, what makes you think our answers would be any less biased (in favor of Mint/Debian) than anywhere else? :P
Linux counter #317716

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:09 pm

That's a bit of a limited view of the major Linux families. Where are the Arch Linux and Gentoo based distros for example? This may give a more complete view of the major families: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions. But perhaps you only care about these three :)

Snapcase
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Snapcase » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:26 pm

And not Linux, but don't forget Unix (Solaris, BSD...) :mrgreen:

In my very limited knowledge, Debian and Debian based distros have an enormous quantity or packages available, and since they are the more popular and the more abundant distros you can get support in myriads of sites. For a new comer Debian seems to be the right tree to begin with. Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint alone have the biggest percentage of the whole Linux community users.

My 2 cents.

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Snapcase wrote:And not Linux, but don't forget Unix (Solaris, BSD...) :mrgreen:
Linux is already large enough and sometimes somewhat problematic. Others are often worse and more for server. Linux is also good for server of course.
Snapcase wrote:In my very limited knowledge, Debian and Debian based distros have an enormous quantity or packages available, and since they are the more popular and the more abundant distros you can get support in myriads of sites. For a new comer Debian seems to be the right tree to begin with. Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint alone have the biggest percentage of the whole Linux community users.
This is true but not only. RPM distros are also quite popular, especially Fedora, and you can also find support in "myriads of site" and "an enormous quantity of packages available". For now, when I am gone on the site of apps , when I needed, I almost always seen a Fedora or RPM package, with a DEB package, although I even seen some sites where there was a RPM but no DEB packages...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:28 am

Knuckl3head wrote:all the website talking about them are biased in the direction of their favorite distro, and it is hard to find good information.
Where you read is every bit as important as what you're reading. Where are you reading this at?

Slackware proper doesn't "do" dependency resolution in favor of leaving that to the end-user.
Some new users see that as a setback, but it IS a feature.
And it's not just Slackware that does this, Archlinux I found out recently, has this feature also.

[url=http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/your-feedback]Alien Pastures[/url] just voted [url=http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/best-foss-or-linux-blog-of-2013/]the Best FOSS blog on the 'net[/url]

Once you go Slack, you never go back.

js3915
Level 3
Level 3

Post by js3915 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:21 am

Knuckl3head wrote:Hey There,

I am trying to figure out the pros and cons of each major Linux Family.
I divide the Linux world into three parts:

The Slackware Family: All the distros based on Slackware, directly or indirectly

I know there are pros and cons, but all the website talking about them are biased in the direction of their favorite distro, and it is hard to find good information.
Pretty open ended question and youll get alot of open ended answers... I havent delt much with slackware, ive been mainly fedora or redhat based and debian based. I dont think this is true now but 5-8 years ago i know redhat least for me was always harder to get propriatory drivers to work like nvidia/AMD graphics. Redhat based was known for dependancy hell as they called it and honestly i havent played much with fedora system but i heard they've ironed out alot of that. Really the big difference i can see and this is strictly my opinion. The package management system. Slack does have a form of packaging system like fedora and debian but its strictly commandline. 95% the time any software you can put onto debian you can put onto redhat or slackware. Redhat and debian being bit more popular there usually is an .rpm or .deb file for easier install. I know didnt really answer your question but is a really challenging qestion to answer without too much bias.. Besides down to the core linux is linux on any system structure is same underneath the package management system. There might be slight differences of location of configs but again not really a pro or con depending on who you ask

Tatwi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tatwi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Pros:
- Simple to install a lot of software, due to the package system.
- "Stable" versions are indeed well tested and perform reliably.
- Large user base, so answers to most questions are out there to find already, if not many folks are around to help.
- Debian-based distros usually have easy GUI based configuration tools for settings and drivers.
- Simple 64Bit/32Bit support.
- Downloads a crap load of useless software every time it installs (language packs for *buntus for instance).
Cons:
- Package management can be a real pain in the ass due to dependencies. Such as only wanting to remove 1 program, but doing so will remove the whole DE...
- "Long Term Support" typically means "old versions of programs without the option to try newer ones, unless you compile them yourself - if the libraries on your system are too old too do so".

Pros:
- Comes with a whack of great software on the DVD.
- Installing everything is recommended in case you want to use it, but nothing is loaded on boot unless you personally decided to load it.
- Stable releases with at least a year between versions.
- Easy to use package and patch system.

Cons:
- LILO doesn't always play nice with UEFI based motherboards.
- Lack of automatic dependency resolution when installing programs is a pain in the rear.
- Proprietary drivers can be a little more of a pain to setup.
- In the olden days, X was typically much more of a pain to set up.
- 64/32Bit "multi-lib" can be confusing and problematic for the average Joe.

Pros:
- I don't know. Haven't used it since the 1990s.

Cons:
- I don't know. Haven't used it since the 1990s.
The Power of Text - http://www.tpot.ca
Creator of Rescue Girlies, a Mario-like game for GNU/Linux based upon SuperTux 0.3.3.

Return to “Chat about Linux”