Point Linux OS vs Linux Mint 15 MATE.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TNFrank

Point Linux OS vs Linux Mint 15 MATE.

Post by TNFrank »

Ok, so I switched from Ubuntu 12.04LTS over to Mint 15 MATE and couldn't be happier. Then I see Robbie Ferguson on Category 5 TV talking about Point Linux OS with the MATE desktop and it looks pretty cool as well. My question is, would there be any advantage to switching to Point Linux over Mint MATE since they're both using the same desktop but with Point Linux you'd be a bit closer to the Debian roots that both Distros have.
I've installed Point Linux OS on my daughter's old Dell L866r and it looks pretty decent, runs pretty well even on this older machine and was reasonable easy to install but I'm really lovin' my Mint 15 MATE even though it'll lose support in a few months. Guess I should have went with Mint 13 for long term support but I really don't know how to roll Mint 15 back to 13 or if I'd even really want to.
Oh well, just wanted to see if anyone else has had any "problems" about Distros like this and what they ended up doing about it. Thanks for letting me air this out a bit. :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TNFrank

Re: Point Linux OS vs Linux Mint 15 MATE.

Post by TNFrank »

Well, after installing Point Linux on my daughter's old desktop computer and seeing how well it ran and after installing it on my back up laptop I've installed it on my primary laptop so I've totally converted over to Point Linux OS. It's Debian 7.1 based with the MATE/Gnome2 style desktop and I really love it, all the goodness of Mint 15 MATE but without the expiration date. Probably won't be hanging out here as much since I've gone Point but I will try to drop in from time to time. See ya'll on the other Linux forums. :wink:
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

TNFrank wrote:all the goodness of Mint 15 MATE but without the expiration date.
You can also try LMDE MATE, build on Debian testing and also no expiration date :wink:

Btw, never heard of Point Linux, now downloading :D
nomko

Post by nomko »

It does give me that Ubuntu 10.04LTS feeling.... The old Gnome2 layout feels rather outdated compared to Cinnamon and KDE. But I guess with some tweaking it can become a pretty nice desktop to work with. Biggest advantage: Debian under the hood!! Definitely.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I would say try LMDE with mate. :D
nomko

Post by nomko »

Crewp wrote:I would say try LMDE with mate. :D
And that's exactly the biggest issue of most critics: the fragmentation of Linux and desktop environments. Crewp does have a point: Point Linux is basically the same as Linux Mint Debian Edition with the Mate desktop environment. Even though it looks slightly different, at the base they are the same: Debian as the basis on which the desktop environment is running. Point Linux is aiming for those who can't say goodbye and farewell to the old Gnome2 layout while Mate provides a more modern looking layout of the old Gnome2 environment.
AnonKS

Post by AnonKS »

LMDE is really nice. Haven't heard of point Linux before. Will have to check it out. I'll always keep my mint and arch dual boot tho. Everything else is what virtualbox is for ;)

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

I'm a fan of LMDE Mate but I've just tried Point Linux in a netbook and I have to say it is awesome. Is slightly lighter than LMDE, equally easy to use, very stable and nice looking. Based on Debian stable instead of testing, so is not rolling but less prone to breakages when updates are coming. The Point Linux developers have done a very good job.
Respect to the main version of Mint, it can be said that Point, like LMDE, is faster, more responsive on old hardware, but requires a slightly more advanced knowledge / experience. For a new linux user is better to stay with the main edition, IMHO.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
drjster

Post by drjster »

I've been a long time Mint user of both the Ubuntu and the Debian based (LMDE) versions. I have to say that Point Linux, based on Debian stable, is a superb distro. It's fast, easily configurable, uses MATE as the DE and is well supported by the developer (and of course it's based on the rock solid Debian). Thumbs up to Point, not that there's anything wrong with LMDE :wink: .
konjad

Post by konjad »

Does it have all the drivers and codecs preinstalled, as Mint?
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

konjad wrote:Does it have all the drivers and codecs preinstalled, as Mint?
yes. All the codecs are preinstalled.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)

Return to “Chat about Linux”