SteamOS have you tried it?

Chat about Linux in general
Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

SteamOS have you tried it?

Post by Brahim Salem » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:06 pm

I have just discovered that SteamOS is out here http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/ and http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=steamos and I'm very excited to try it out? Did anyone try it? What is it like?

passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Re: SteamOS have you tried it?

Post by passerby » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:16 am

You'd probably get more info from a couple of google searches than by actually trying it.
I torrented the installer (~900MB one), but wasn't able to get it working properly with VirtualBox.
I did give the compositor alone a go (ie. steamos-compositor), but it was a huge mess.

It's funny seeing people discuss SteamOS elsewhere.
People complain that the very first beta release of this brand new distro doesn't triple their gaming performance :roll:
Some are "disappointed" that SteamOS is "just" Debian with some new stuff added, completely oblivious to why this is actually a good thing.

Too early for any real conclusions, IMO. I might give it a try later on, just out of curiosity.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:34 am

There are plenty of guides popping up on how to install SteamOS on VirtualBox. Most are obviously targeted at Windows users. Here's one for Linux users: http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-I ... 9363.shtml

You can apparently also add the SteamOS session on top of Ubuntu, though I'm not confident this will work as-is on all Linux Mint editions: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/12/install- ... buntu.html

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:36 am

I am using solydK now because of the wacom driver and steam came preinstalled and works fine, all I had to do was click on it and it downloaded everything and installed it for me and was up and running in a minute or so.
I was not going to use it all but since it came installed I decided to give it a whirl and keep it now instead.
Might be a good suggestion to have this preinstalled on mint, it's easy to get rid of if you don't want it but saves a headache of installing it if you do want it.
Gona have to install it on the wifes toy, she'll get more use out it then I will :lol:
Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Brahim Salem » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:08 am

They should have based it on Linux Mint guys! Debian is a headache :( At least on Mint we have the drivers manager and lots of useful apps for things to work out-of-the-box :D What do you think gamers :D

famicommander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by famicommander » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:20 pm

I actually hate Steam as a program and platform, so no. I'm very glad that it is bringing more attention, games, and driver support to Linux but in general I am not a fan of digital distribution. I only buy digital media of any sort if it's 100% DRM-free, and the vast majority of Steam content is laced with DRM. If I can't get it DRM free or on a physical copy I want nothing to do with it, ever.

So I'm enjoying the benefits of more Linux games, but I sure as hell am not planning to install SteamOS or give Valve any of my money. I'm more of a Humble Indie Bundle/GOG.com sort of guy.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:41 pm

samriggs wrote:Might be a good suggestion to have this preinstalled on mint
SteamOS ≠ Steam Client :) I'd guess SolydK has the Steam Client preinstalled, not SteamOS. That's trivially easy to install on Linux Mint BTW, just one click download and go (http://store.steampowered.com/about/).
Brahim wrote:Debian is a headache :(
Nope, not true. Debian is the better choice here. It's a much more stable base than Ubuntu (as Ubuntu is based on Debian testing and unstable and SteamOS is based instead on Debian stable) and you have I think forgotten that SteamOS is a gaming console OS (not a general purpose OS). Doesn't make any sense to use Linux Mint for that.
famicommander wrote:I'm more of a Humble Indie Bundle/GOG.com sort of guy.
Good on ya :) If you haven't found it yet, Desura is also a very good store. While it has a client like Steam, that's just convenience and you can start the games without using the client.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:11 pm

xenopeek wrote:
samriggs wrote:Might be a good suggestion to have this preinstalled on mint
SteamOS ≠ Steam Client :) I'd guess SolydK has the Steam Client preinstalled, not SteamOS. That's trivially easy to install on Linux Mint BTW, just one click download and go (http://store.steampowered.com/about/).
Brahim wrote:Debian is a headache :(
Nope, not true. Debian is the better choice here. It's a much more stable base than Ubuntu (as Ubuntu is based on Debian testing and unstable and SteamOS is based instead on Debian stable) and you have I think forgotten that SteamOS is a gaming console OS (not a general purpose OS). Doesn't make any sense to use Linux Mint for that.
Ooops sorry, just got off work when I seen this and tired when I wrote it, yup solydK has the client.
Yup debian stable is a lot more stable then ubuntu, older software, but more stable.
Not a headache though, as ya know I prefer it and always have, but to each their own.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Brahim Salem » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:59 pm

It is not just a platform for games. "SteamOS is a Debian-based Linux distribution designed to run Valve's Steam and Steam games. It also provides a desktop mode (GNOME) which can run regular Linux applications. In addition to a stable Debian base, SteamOS features various third-party drivers and updated graphics stack, a newer Linux kernel with long-term support, and a custom graphics compositor designed to provide a seamless transition between Steam, its games and the SteamOS system overlay. The base operating system is open-source software, but the Steam client is proprietary.

Source http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=steamos

Return to “Chat about Linux”