No more open-source software for closed-source platforms

Chat about Linux in general
Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

No more open-source software for closed-source platforms

Post by Brahim Salem » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:15 pm

This is a call for all supporters of and believers in open source software philosophy!! It is not fair to develop more software for an already software-rich ecosystems, namely OS X and Windows!!!! By doing so you are strengthening them! Spread the word guys!

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: No more open-source software for closed-source platforms

Post by killer de bug » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:10 am

Stop spamming the board with useless ideas like this.
For the last week you had a stupid idea a day. Take a breath, go out, breathe some fresh air and go enjoy your new windows install. Thanks. :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kurotsugi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:57 am

contrary with most people beliefs, apple and microsoft have high contribution on open source project :3
http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source- ... ver-235552

if you know CUPS, it's something developed by apple and know used widely on linux. aside from it they also have a lot of open source project and contribute to a lot of open source project. this is one of the example http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTQ4Mzk

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:02 am

This said, Open source basis: source code is freely available so everyone can compile it for Windows or Mac OS :lol:

kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kurotsugi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:21 am

only a few people might know about this. apple's mac OS is actually run on top of a hybrid BSD kernel. a kind of combination between a monolithic and a micro kernel. open source project is the future. you don't have to worry about microsoft campaign about linux. at this time they only dominate desktop/laptop world. the rest part is dominated with linux and BSD.

Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Brahim Salem » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:25 am

Brahim wrote:
killer de bug wrote:Stop spamming the board with useless ideas like this.
For the last week you had a stupid idea a day. Take a breath, go out, breathe some fresh air and go enjoy your new windows install. Thanks. :wink:

I don't run Windows at all and I have reported this to the forum moderators as an insult. If you don't like my ideas for whatever reason you want,simply mark me as foe! it is that easy :D

we are all here to learn and if you don't make mistakes you'll never learn :D
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Brahim wrote: I don't run Windows at all and I have reported this too the forum moderators as an insult.
Then I (We) should assume you're a liar... :roll:
That was posted yesterday, by the way:
Brahim wrote: Windows is ruining everyone's life :( Yesterday they sent me their representatives to my remote youth house to delete Linux Mint from the PCs and install "bugs bunny" on them and now my life is a mess and I'm froced to watch their "blue wheel" whenever I launch an application.

Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Brahim Salem » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Then I (We) should assume you're a liar... :roll:

thank you!!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Let's back off a bit here; this is a rather direct opinion, but still an opinion and not an personal insult.

Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Brahim Salem » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:52 pm

xenopeek wrote:Let's back off a bit here; there's no insult, just an opinion about ideas. A rather direct opinion, but still an opinion.

"I'm afraid that treason will become a point of view one day" Naji al-Ali

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:09 pm

simply mark me as foe!

Good idea, thanks!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:14 pm

Oh, come on guys... :cry:

Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Previous1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:22 pm

This is a call for all supporters of and believers in open source software philosophy!! It is not fair to develop more software for an already software-rich ecosystems, namely OS X and Windows!!!! By doing so you are strengthening them! Spread the word guys!
Linux is a moving target. So..... why would you as a company develop software for Linux specifically? Valve aside. :twisted:
Tutorials | cynicaltux
Arch Linux i3wm, 64bit

Lingula
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lingula » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Previous1 hit the nail on the head. Look at Android vs iOS. Android is a stable and efficient Linux-based OS backed by a huge company, but developers are more interested in iOS because they don't have to worry about variations in device characteristics. In the world of Linux on PCs the entire OS from the kernel upward varies from one distro to the next. Then we geeks get a hold of it and customize it further. The only way a big software development firm can profit from making software for Linux right now is if they provide tech support for a fee. It ceases to be Free.

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Distro-Don » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:36 pm

Brahim wrote:
Brahim wrote:
killer de bug wrote:Stop spamming the board with useless ideas like this.

I don't run Windows at all and I have reported this to the forum moderators as an insult. If you don't like my ideas for whatever reason you want,simply mark me as foe! it is that easy :D

we are all here to learn and if you don't make mistakes you'll never learn :D
Thanks for the tip. I marked you as foe.

Brahim Salem
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Brahim Salem » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Sometimes you must let go, not because you are afraid but because life is too short and because you don't want to lose your inner peace :D :D

please don't post any more negative ideas some people are reading this and expecting to learn from it and the guys here have some good points. if you wanna mark me as foe you don't need to tell me and spam this thread. I'm surprised that you know me :D I swear I've never heard of you at all or read your posts :lol: Moreover I don't have any agreement or convention with you before to blame me :D So give us peace here. War won't light a candle to Linux Mint or free software :D

Now I speak like Mahatma Gandhi :lol: :lol:

kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kurotsugi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:37 pm

The only way a big software development firm can profit from making software for Linux right now is if they provide tech support for a fee. It ceases to be Free.

it's not quite true :3
cups and avahi are example of something given free from apple to open source community. why did apple did that? because it gives them a lot of profit.
1. open source means 'free' everyone can use it
2. open source have faster and better development
3. throw your project into community and you don't have to pay developer to maintain it
4. some open source project is better than propietary counterpart

I think you're looking into RHEL business model. that's the old model. people can get various way to get money from linux
1. build your OS for free mix it with propietary stuff. google's business model. you get android for free but your OEM needs to pay to google if they want to use google play on their product.
2. charge OEM to pay you if they sell a product with your OS. canonical business model. every OEM which selling a product with ubuntu inside it needs to pay canonical.
3. sell a product with your OS. google and canonical. google got a lot of money from motorola and nexus products. canonical also get money from selling ubuntu phones.
4. charge for tech support. RHEL business model.
5. sell cd and usb drive with linux inside it. OSdisk business model.
6. teach people about "how to use linux".

be creative and you can add more to the list :3

Lingula
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lingula » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:12 am

You are talking about making money from a Linux distro. I was talking about making money developing software for Linux distros, which seems to be the focus of the thread.

It's potentially viable to make a living developing software that works with a few dominant distros.
It's excessively time consuming to ensure compatibility with every distro. Time is money. For a business, it will usually make more sense to develop for Windows or OS X over GNU/Linux desktop distros.

Return to “Chat about Linux”