Re: [Chat] Still keep a Windows? Speak out your reason

Post by PatH57 »

Mint 17 as main on 2 laptops.
Kali linux on a usb drive
Hirenboot usb
Partedmagic USB
Clonezilla
Spare HD with Win8.1
Piratelinux for testing.And a lot of virtualboxes (debian,ubuntu,red hat, router os...)
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

I realized about a week ago that I just no longer used the Windows part of my dual-boot computers. It's not an "anti Microsoft" thing. I just didn't use MS anymore. So when I bought a new laptop a week or so ago I was going to set up the dual-boot with Windows like I always do.

But then I asked myself why would I continue to keep Windows when I don't use it anymore? So I didn't.

Regarding the Garmen updates on Windows, I too have a Garmen (haven't updated it in ages but I have it). If I wanted to update it, I'd just do that on my computer at work, or on one of my kids computers. I couldn't justify keeping Windows for 1 program that I might use someday. In my situation I figure that's crazy.

This Mint 17 Cinnamon is the best Linux distro I've used in the past 15+ years of using Linux. Yes, there is some setup issues to tailor the setup to be exactly what I want. But it's not that big of a deal. I have to do some of that with Windows too. I love how I can set up Mint to be exactly what I want - and when I finish, it's a tailored system that is perfect for me. I can't do that with Windows.

It took me awhile to get used to the Linux software application counterparts to my old Windows programs. But once I invested the time to learn the new programs, I actually find that I prefer them to the Windows-based offerings. And I love the fact that I can upgrade these Linux applications for free, rather than have to pay out the money for the Windows programs that used to use.

The bottom-line for me is that I enjoy Mint 17 a lot more than I do Windows.
Last edited by Barbados99 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ClutchDisc »

I only keep windows around for my college classes.. I don't mean because I need it for software, (I do all of my classes on Linux) but because I need to stay familiar with windows... Yea, that is the worst part about going into the IT field.. you have to learn and deal with windows! :( :evil: :twisted:

If I didn't need it for that purpose I would be M$ free!
Custom build
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.70GHz quad core
RAM: 8GB DDR4
OS drive: 120GB SSD
Data drive: 2TB HDD

chemab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chemab »

Using windows xp - still.

Runs chemistry apps that I need. Neither linux nor windows 7/8 are good at that

wanderer7
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wanderer7 »

At work I use dual booting. I spend most of my time in GNU/Linux, but if I need a printer (this happens rarely) or if using ms office is absolutely required, I switch to windows and then get back to GNU/Linux ASAP. :mrgreen:

At home - I have only GNU/Linux. In fact, I've never tried to dual boot on my home PC. When I discovered Mint, I deleted windows at once.

OrangeShark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OrangeShark »

I currently dual boot Windows 7 and Linux Mint. The only reason for keeping Windows is for some games and maybe for any software which is exclusive to Windows. I very happy to see a lot more games coming to Linux though. :D

Fixer1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fixer1234 »

Prefer not to open Windows unless needed. There are a couple of programs, like Photoshop, where it is just a lot faster than the Linux replacement due to familiarity. Two things not available in Linux: Sketchup and coupon printers, and I haven't found a working replacement for Free Video Cutter. When I do have to go back to Windows, there are huge backlists of updates waiting.

ekim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ekim »

I have to stay with windows for online bank statements, etc. that only seem to like IE. I also have to stay because my Canon MG5400 doesnt seem to have linux printers and even a "fix" I found online doesnt seem to work. There is always something!!!

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

I've got 2 Games on Windows... and nothing else:

Guild Wars 2 and Company of Heroes 2... Hate to go Windows every time I need to play...
Breaking and fixing is learning! This knowledge gained gives power. And power gives you freedom if used with wisdom!

nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

Revit. Two machines dual booted with Win 7 thanks to Autodesk not budging one bit. I hate booting into that partition, slows me down, dull, insipid even.
Last edited by nathanjh13 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

BTW:

I did get my Guild Wars 2 working very well, Very stable and excellently on LM 17. Custom launchers for Teamspeak and GW2. Run in wondowed mode on a 23" gives awesome gameplay.
Breaking and fixing is learning! This knowledge gained gives power. And power gives you freedom if used with wisdom!

Miekuxi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miekuxi »

I used to think MS Word is that important; if abiword is better, I may switch as well.

nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

Abiword should be more than enough for most users certainly although I'm using Writer and sometimes Trelby. I much prefer Gnumeric over Calc though. in fact I wish they'd just replace Calc with Gnumeric and have done with it.

JohnBobSmith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnBobSmith »

I keep a windows computer mostly for my graphics art. However, I could do it all on linux. In fact, I'm doing the migration from my laptop to my desktop right now. :D However, my laptop would still need windows on it for some games. That, and I do enjoy having both worlds. It lets me learn more, use the right OS for what I need, and such. I think that my laptop will have Windows on it for now. With that said, I am currently on a desktop running LM17 XFCE as the only OS. 8) So, if its not obvious, I like the best of both worlds. Each OS has their strengths and weaknesses, and I like to use each OS to their fullest. I look forward to reading more reasons as to why you guys keep Windows around. :)

EDIT:
Thats a shame, in my quest to migrate from Windows to Linux for game developement, I discovered unity does not have a download for Linux. The good news is I can compile a build for Linux from within Windows. So yeah, I will have some fun making random game creations, cross platform too.
If you want to change the world, start by changing yourself.
Success is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
You get one shot at life, so live to the maximum, not the minimum.

/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Miekuxi wrote:I used to think MS Word is that important; if abiword is better, I may switch as well.
It's not. But have you considered having a peek at TextMaker?

knight76
Level 1
Level 1

Post by knight76 »

I've still got windows dual booted as I've been using Linux for about a week and still cling to the Microsoft bosom.

bawldiggle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bawldiggle »

Still using WinXP and Win7 on 5 machines.
- one laptop is Mint (my recent Linux test bed)

Require Windows for ...
AutoCad 2006,
Excel 2003 (for my VBA addins) -- on XP and Win7
Quickbooks Pro (requires XP -- does not work on Win7) :evil:

Seriously looking to convert as much as I can to Linux
- alternative to Quickbooks Pro
- alternative for AutoCad
- spreadsheet program that can be enhanced using Python
- would be willing to pay for apps, or donate, after trialing
** Inspite of my post count I am a newbie, trying to get my head around Linux -- simple, clear details for a dummy would be appreciated
SPECS:
Acer Aspire 5315 (purchased 2007) | OS Linux Mint 17 "Quiana" -- Mate 32-bit | 2GB RAM | HDD 80GB

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

I still use Windows for many things. Photoshop, Lightroom, Autodesk, and will add SolidWorks soon. I also have a little Zotac zbox with Win 8.1 that I use as a HTPC.

Dilitirio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dilitirio »

Like many have said before, I keep Windows 8 on my laptop for one singular reason: games.

Return to “Chat about Linux”