Linux and Android

Chat about Linux in general
TheCatalyst
Level 1
Level 1

Linux and Android

Post by TheCatalyst » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:04 pm

So I'm new to Linux, and I've made a few posts about my installion and getting drivers. I had a new quesiton pop into my head as I was pulling some files from my phone to my computer. If Linux "can't" get viruses how come Android can since Android is based off of Linux right?

ajgreeny
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux and Android

Post by ajgreeny » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:27 pm

I don't think android gets true viruses as does windows, but it can be infected with some other malware, as can Linux, which is probably what the android security suites are guarding against.

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:33 pm

Malware can infect any OS. Android users commonly refer to malware infestation as a virus which isn't really the case..

Most malware infestation on the Android comes not from infected apps but instead from visiting websites such as **** sites..

Maik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Maik » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:48 am

Thanks for asking the question, The Catalyst, as I was also wondering that, especially after reading this article on the BBC: 'Sophisticated' Android malware hits phones.

Leaving aside the distinction between viruses and malware (OK, a virus is just one type of malicious software), and whether most Android malware is delivered via dodgy apps or dodgy websites, what prevents Android malware spreading to Linux boxes?

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:43 am

Android and a Linux Distro like Linux Mint don't have the same rules for installing software.
With Android you are almost always a Root user leading to much greater dangers... :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

/dev/urandom
Level 5
Level 5

Post by /dev/urandom » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:43 am

TheCatalyst wrote:If Linux "can't" get viruses how come Android can since Android is based off of Linux right?
1. There is malware for Linux in the wild.
2. Windows and Linux share similar anti-malware mechanisms (sudo / UAC).
3. Android uses a lot of BSD code too.
Linux is not the only answer! :: eD2k/Kad mirrors for Linux Mint and LMDE.
Users who misspell "Windows" as "Windoze" intentionally will be considered stupid.

Return to “Chat about Linux”