Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Chat about Linux in general
User avatar
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by Bolle1961 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:23 am

Upating ;)
Image
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy
Image

User avatar
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Leuven, Belgium

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by killer de bug » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:27 pm

tdockery97 wrote:The top reason for me is the Windows updates. A little over 100 megabytes of updates would take an hour or more downloading, installing, rebooting, etc. Linux mint can download and install 400 MB of updates in 5 minutes with a good internet connection.
This morning I had to reboot to install updates at work. The day starts perfectly well...
This afternoon I got the popup again. Seriously guys???? :roll:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by Fuzzy Penquin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:24 pm

For me, Linux over Microsoft is because the UI is much more sane. Metro and tiles are stupid on anything that is not a tablet or phone. I also have an extreme amount of fun customising the look of my desktop with various themes, something I couldn't do in Windows (without paying Stardock, which I only learned existed after a year in Linux). And Windows always insisting on installing it's updates NOW and forcing a reboot while I'm in the middle of something, as well as taking 10 minutes or more to shut down or boot up because it has to load those updates....thus preventing me from being able to do anything for a long time (one hour was the longest I've experienced on Win7)....was maddening. I hated that so much. Of course, you can turn updates off, but then you are left vulnerable to bad things and nagged constantly about needing to turn updates on. Argh.

I like Linux better, in the end. It's stable and more fun. WinXP was fine and stable for me, never had problems and I liked it. But that computer had to donate parts to my husband's computer when his watercooling leaked and various bits caught fire. So end of XP right there (my new computer would end up with Mint). Win7 on my secondary hard drive is not stable for me and is very slow, and Win8 is horrible (although stable on my work laptop, so far). I have never had a virus or malware problem in all my years of Windows usage. Until I bought a Lenovo for work and found Superfish pre-installed by Lenovo. :evil: That seals it for me. Windows PC's come bundled with crapware (I've always known that, which is why I build my own desktops), but when they start coming pre-loaded with malware, I'm out! The whole point of buying a laptop all preconfigured is convenience of being able to boot and go right away. I shouldn't have to get a fresh copy of Windows (paying a second time), reformat my virgin factory-fresh laptop, and install a fresh Windows onto it & configure it, all before I can even safely use the thing. Defeats the purpose completely.

TL:DR
Linux over Microsoft EVERY time, for every reason.
Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard, Nvidia GTX1080, Mint 19.1 64-bit w/Cinnamon.

I am a n00b! Please assume zero knowledge on my part. Sorry for any dumb questions, I am still learning.

User avatar
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1002
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Indiana, USA
Contact:

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by coffee412 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:47 pm

I run my own company and do a lot of I.T. work. I am a one man shop and need an operating system that is stable, Responsive and has a lot of tools for repairing software issues and testing hardware. Linux is the perfect operating system for something like that. I just finished a hardware/software upgrade to a client that bought 7 computers for their office with windows 7 pro 64. They needed MSOffice and Adobe Standard for their workers. I was amazed at the outlay of money to do just 7 computers and the software.

MSOffice is frickin expensive at 154.oo a computer.
Adobe Standard is 305.oo per user.
Antivirus? Lets add some more per year cost to that also.

So, You buy a computer with winX installed on it and what do you really have? A bunch of bloatware and no office software. But MS will rent it to you for xx amount a month or year. Oh, And when you do buy MSOffice they push you to create an account with them and you also get to go thru "Activation hell". The whole process of running windows makes me sick. My client is pretty pissed about the cost of the software in general. You can easily rap up about 500 bucks in software per computer in a office enviroment. That is sick!

With Linux Mint you install it and go. Everything comes with it that you need and if you want more its all available thru the software center. Also, You do not suffer from "Update hell". Can you imagine someone at - say a library or office - and they need to shut down their windows laptop because they have to leave for an appointment or catch a bus and you get the dreaded "DONT SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER -- UPDATING 1 OF 15". Also, Should your update fail then it has to either start removing updates or just lockup/crash.

IMHO, MS is just a major money pit. Its like buying a motor boat. You keep shoving money into it and never see a return on your investment. Then, You cannot even transfer the O/S or software to another computer according to the license.

Of course then you have all the virus/malware and spying on you - isnt that creepy?

I run linux. I have ran it for years and for the most part I am very happy except for some glitches that get fixed right away and you do not have to wait forever for a fix. I have to run windows for my business so I do that in a VM with virtualbox.

Its just that MS is so outclassed by linux (especially MINT). I feel for those that run windows and have to for some reason.

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

User avatar
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Hattiesburg, MS USA

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by BenTrabetere » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:37 am

James_Smith wrote:I wonder why you (yes, you) went away from Microsoft products and embraced Linux?
I see this as a two-parter: Applications and Windows.

I move away from MS applications whenever I can and as quickly as possible - too many bad experiences, most of which cannot entirely be blamed on the applications themselves. I have been forced to use Office at work going back to Win 3.0, and early on I started thinking of it as an incubator for bad ideas and usage. I don't know which application was the first to offer 'Send as Email', but it became a Force of Evil when it was added to Office. And the dunderheads responsible for making HTML email worse by adding RFT to the mix should be put in a rocket aimed at the sun. I have had to endure too many bosses spreading MS-Office-related dumbth.

I cannot be Windows-free until suitable tax preparation software arrives for Linux ... or I summon the courage to use a web-based service. For that I can boot to XP or run Win7 in Virtualbox. I know I could not or would not ever go back to Windows exclusively. Linux satisfies most of my needs, and XP or Win7 fills the gaps. I like the stability, and I enjoy not having to rely on antivirus and security utilities that often cause problems that are worse than the ones they prevent. Price really isn't a selling point for me: it's nice that I am under no contractual obligation to provide monetary support is nice; however, I feel a moral obligation to send money whenever I can.

The biggest obstacle for me to returning to using Windows exclusively is UPDATES. It took two hours and numerous restarts to apply the updates when I set up Win7 in Virtualbox. I do not miss that. I do not miss the system freezing because a program hits a snag while checking for updates (I'm talking to you Adobe, Apple, McAfee and Symantec), or having to reboot and its annoying "Restart Now" message everytime an update comes down the pike, or worrying whether the disk activity after rebooting is because the update is being applied or it's because the update failed, or worrying the lastest MS patch is the delivery vehicle for bricking a computer.

Linux updates are painless, seamless, efficient and boring. I do not feel the need to close every application each time I apply an update, and I think the only Linux update that required a reboot was the upgrade to Rebecca. The only quibbles I have with Software Updates is it doesn't close automagically when the updates are finished and the Authentication window does not open as the active window.

User avatar
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Leuven, Belgium

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by killer de bug » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:20 am

BenTrabetere wrote: . The only quibbles I have with Software Updates is it doesn't close automagically when the updates are finished
It will come soon. It was added in the todo list.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Chemical_Ali
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:27 am

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by Chemical_Ali » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:59 am

Because everything on Linux works. For example, I have an old SCSI card and scanner that does not work on Windows 7 x64, because the drivers are no longer supported. Yet, Linux has no issues with my old SCSI card and old scanner. Another reason why I prefer Linux, is because I prefer using an OS and software that is developed by the community.

JayKay3OOO
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:28 pm

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by JayKay3OOO » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:49 am

Whoever thought windows 8 / 8.1 on a desktop was acceptable was insane.

Windows 10 is better.

So use win 7 / 10 for gaming and any specialist non linux software.

Use Linux. e.g. Mint for any home user doing most things.

Use a mac if you life is so shallow you actually care what people think of your computer (lots of people apparently) and have money to waste on overpriced, underspecced hardware with an OS thay somtimes feels more antiquated than Linux.

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 12054
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by austin.texas » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:06 am

Windows:
windows.jpg
windows.jpg (9.9 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Mint:
Mint.jpg
Mint.jpg (17.11 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

all41
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5714
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by all41 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Mint
:) :wink: :!:

windows
:shock: :? :x :P :evil: :twisted: :roll: :?: :lol:

User avatar
nuagedeboucane
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by nuagedeboucane » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Why use Linux, instead of W$? Because I hate BSOD's :lol:
To repair something, you must break it before ;-)

User avatar
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:56 am

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by zoli62 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:11 pm

nuagedeboucane wrote:Why use Linux, instead of W$? Because I hate BSOD's :lol:
You never heard about kernel panic? :?:

User avatar
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:56 am

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by zoli62 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:19 pm

I am also of the opinion that both system have their reason for existence.
Last edited by zoli62 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4870
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:31 pm
Location: 0.0.0.0

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft? - because I choose to

Post by Habitual » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:57 am

Linux makes me think.

User avatar
Nili
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 7:44 am
Location: /home/nili/music
Contact:

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by Nili » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Image
- A violet in the youth of primy nature forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting. The perfume and suppliance of a minute, No more... - Audiophile [24bit/96kHz], FLAC, DeaDBeeF. - Herbstluftwm Fist! - Root heritage #!

User avatar
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7537
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by DrHu » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:23 pm

I don't like windows 8x or possibly the next one win 10x
--because I don't really like the idea of trying to mangle an OS across all platforms (Server, desktop, notebook, mobile device (tablet or smartphone ) or some future wearable tech

The trouble for companies and they have generated this issue themselves:
--they need to keep producing the NEW product (or at least it should seem new) in order to entice new users or up-sell current users
  • The mania that appears whenever Apple comes out with a new IPhone being a good example..
I also don't like multi-function devices: those all-in-one printers (scanner + copy function + printing)
--I prefer to have printing or scanning available separately and will use the computer to manage the file sets, and should one or the other device fail, I won't have to give up the whole package (printing or scanning/copying --editing image)

I choose Linux after looking at *BSD and other OS (QNX, BEOS), I actually liked BEOS (now an open source option as Haiku): Beos is not multi-user, just like dos(ms or DR dos) was, it is single user/complete control mode, but with some OS protection for important system files..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS
http://www.haiku-os.org/

Linux was also multi-user more completely than earlier windows OS, win 98x and more secure because of the better separation of root/admin functions from the normal user
--winXP was also everyone is an Admin as the default, and only later tried to separate those functions via their extension of pasrts of the underlying OS

And of course, Linux did and still does give the user more control of the OS and its operations
--unless Linux gets too far down the road of following Ms, or Google (mobile OS)
  • But i don't believe and hope that Linux distributions don't track into that commercial idea so completely that they forget the user still exists..

User avatar
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by z31fanatic » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:25 pm

coffee412 wrote: MSOffice is frickin expensive at 154.oo a computer.
Adobe Standard is 305.oo per user.
Antivirus? Lets add some more per year cost to that also.
See, this is where you are wrong. You are thinking like an end user.
The cost of Office and Adobe suite is nothing to a business that employs a lot of people. The productivity they get from that software more than makes up for the initial cost. And like it or not, MS Office is the best Office software there is. It's not just an opinion, it's a fact in the business world. Same with Adobe and other business software. Businesses pay for it because it is good software with great support.

On the antivirus, I am not sure why would someone need antivirus today. Windows today is much more secure than it used to be. Microsoft Security Essentials and the the free version of Malware Bytes is all one needs today.
People get viruses because of their own stupidity, not because the OS is not secure enough.
Last edited by z31fanatic on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by z31fanatic » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:32 pm

coffee412 wrote:You do not suffer from "Update hell". Can you imagine someone at - say a library or office - and they need to shut down their windows laptop because they have to leave for an appointment or catch a bus and you get the dreaded "DONT SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER -- UPDATING 1 OF 15". Also, Should your update fail then it has to either start removing updates or just lockup/crash.
Everyone with an ounce of knowledge knows that MS pushes Windows updates every second Tuesday of the month. Updates don't just suddenly appear anytime.
Again, just typical unbased fanboy drivel.

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 24203
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by xenopeek » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:51 am

Reminding everybody about the topic at hand: for what personal reasons did you move to Linux and away from Windows.

Calling in to question (at best) others their personal reasons (at the time) for doing this is needlessly argumentative and off-topic. This isn't a discussion, it's a "share your story" topic. Let's stick to that.
Image

xoverlord6
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:18 am

Re: Why Linux? Why not Microsoft?

Post by xoverlord6 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:39 pm

Reorx wrote:
James_Smith wrote:...I wonder why you (yes, you) went away from Microsoft products and embraced Linux?
4) Crapware (malware, nagware, bloatware).
This times a thousand. The worst is using "freeware" or even open source programs on Windows. Sourceforge seems to be a primary offender, where downloading "free" software on Windows gives you prompts to install unrelated bloatware.

Printer drivers, really, most drivers on Windows try to give you bloatware.

I've never seen anything like it on Linux.

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux”